Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Starcraft Is Ten Years Old

Well happy birthday to starcraft. i found out about this on ign.com, and below is a link to an interview and some screenshots.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/863/863430p1.html

Edited by Speedskater

Finally I can say this is a ten year old game. Been waiting and was sick of saying "nine years old"

This was posted on Blizzard: http://blizzard.com/us/press/10-years-starcraft.html

On March 31, 1998, Blizzard Entertainment released StarCraft, a revolutionary real-time strategy game pitting three powerful and distinctive races against each other in a war-torn galaxy. In StarCraft, the resourceful terrans, mysterious protoss, and relentless zerg find themselves in a confluence of events that has only one possible outcome: an epic war for conquest and survival.

The year of its release, more than 1.5 million copies of StarCraft were sold around the world, making it the bestselling PC game of 1998. To date, it has sold more than 9.5 million copies worldwide. A considerable number of those copies have been sold in South Korea, where the game continues to enjoy unprecedented levels of popularity.

Augmented with the essential Brood War expansion pack, StarCraft remains one of the most popular online games in the world. Its legacy as a cornerstone Blizzard Entertainment franchise as well as a classic of the real-time strategy genre was recently brought back into focus with the announcement of StarCraft II.

Here are some of the notable features of the original StarCraft:

Three distinctive races, each with unique units, technologies, attributes, and abilities

A unique single-player campaign that introduces players to the epic characters and gritty sci-fi setting of the StarCraft universe

Fast-paced multiplayer play over Battle.net, Blizzard's proprietary online gaming service

The ability to create custom maps, units, and campaigns with the fully featured Campaign Editor

Multiplayer

StarCraft's gameplay supports a wide range of player skill, with play at the highest levels characterized by elite multitasking and micromanagement skills, as well as precise tactics and consistent execution. This led to StarCraft's rise as a competitive multiplayer game and its adoption by professional gaming leagues.

Battle.net, which was introduced alongside Diablo, evolved with StarCraft's release, and was tremendously important in the game's multiplayer popularity. Besides the existing matchmaking capabilities, ladder rankings were introduced, along with more detailed user profiles, including wins and losses.

As was the case with Diablo, the combination of compelling gameplay and well-implemented multiplayer support resulted in a dedicated and passionate player base.

Popularity

After its release, StarCraft rapidly grew in popularity around the world. In South Korea, it quickly became the preeminent multiplayer game in the country, and was instrumental in the rise of professional gaming there. The game is still as popular as ever in a country where top StarCraft players are celebrities and their competitive matches are watched by millions on national television networks.

The Brood War expansion, released in 1998, is an essential component of the StarCraft experience. In addition to a new single-player campaign, several new units and abilities were introduced, as were many game-balance changes that represented the new standard in StarCraft competitive play.

StarCraft II

On May 19, 2007, in Seoul, South Korea, Blizzard Entertainment officially announced the development of a sequel, StarCraft II. Continuing the story of the protoss, zerg, and terrans, the sequel intends to take the single-player and multiplayer strengths that were developed in StarCraft and elevate them to new heights. It is the next chapter in StarCraft's storied legacy.

Wow it just seems like yesterday I just started starcraft 0.o.

Man, so old yet so good. No doubt one of the best classics ever.

yeah sc is a classic probably gona stay for many years to come. i just hope sc2 bnet doesnt cost money

If it costs money to pay for SC2 B.Net I'll be quite furious. Not really, I'll just pay for it. hahaha.

ima get bnet asap and get original accounts :)

Wonder if anyone(IE Costco) might try and sell the original SC and expansion with the full SC2...

maybe not right away usualy after about 2 months they start doing that

I remember they tried to sell SWGB(StarWars Galactic Battlegrounds) with EaW(Empire at War).

Edited by Bubb9

Starcraft would probably wish we didnt hack on bnet lol

lol shhhhhh don't tell blizzard.

Im glad to say the first time I played Starcraft was 9 years ago when I was 5 with my dad =]. It was intense, but my daddy was a huge noob and tried massing lings against firebats.

That sounds like fun dude.......

And yea SC would wish for a anti-hack safe SC2 XD

maybe for the sc's birthday blizzard will do something special like give us all a million dollars

wow! the funny part is I have been playing it since it came out. O_o

i started like got it like 3 after it came out but didnt really play much on bnet till like 1.13

I remember old versions but don't remember the numbers =_=

The funny thing is that they had to start making patches faster cause of hackers.

There was also this one time someone took down USEAST completely from a Diablo 2 Chatroom. lol

Also when me and some other people made Blizzard get out a new patch in a day. That was a record breaker.

i remeber when i sucked so bad i ended up looking for hacks, thus leading me here

I remember that I did suck at the start like anyone else but when I got better and was bored I did look for hacks leading me to ZG then I met Ghozt and I emigrated to GC =3

LB-HB-Cake.jpg

make a wish starcraft!

L-O to the Fucken L.

Best PC game ever created hands down.

what about hello kitty?