Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Things to Consider for the next SCHT?

Before we even begin to prepare for the Starcraft Hackers Tournament. I wanted to get some feedback from the community as to how things should be done. We tried the first time, and it was planned out, but planned out without the opinions of the players. Not to mention, we couldn't keep everyone rounded up, so it was poorly executed.

But this time around, I'm looking to do things right. So let's have a discussion about how things should run, I'll bring up a couple of the issues, and then we'll go from there.

1. Absolutely no one liked the idea of playing on a map we created, and everyone that lost, called it outright unfair. Do we allow players to pick their own map? Do we craft a new one? Ideas?

2. When we came up with the idea, the map allowed us to play a three round game, without re-hosting each match. Is this realistic? Should we be playing on rounds, or should each player play once, and move to the next game in the tournament? The idea was to have a longer lasting tournament.

3. We allowed spectators in the game, and staff from Ghoztcraft to help out or spectate. People said that in turn those would not be allowed to participate. Should we not allow spectators, as to potential cheating?

4. What benefits should VIP Members get? We allowed them to play first, is this fair?

5. In the map, all units where fully upgraded. Was this a bad idea?

With that said, let's hear some feedback. Once I feel comfortable, I'll start planning it out and dates will be released.

I liked the 3 round idea but when someone was zerg we'd have to wait for the creep, also no one liked the fully upgraded idea. Zerg would get lings and just rush each time and win unless there was another zerg player then it would be whoever had the most lings

Oh that's right, thanks for bringing that up. I had forgotten about the upgraded units. Post edited. I believe the reason this was done was to accommodate for a few other changes to the map. There was a significant amount of complaints regarding this as well, I have to agree, we can't do that again.

Perhaps we can make a non money map everyone can agree with like LT?

I wasn't in the tournament because i'm a noob at SC, but I wanted to be. Hehe.

1. Absolutely no one liked the idea of playing on a map we created, and everyone that lost, called it outright unfair. Do we allow players to pick their own map? Do we craft a new one? Ideas?

I don't see how a Ghoztcraft map is unfair, since hacks are allowed you can just use MapHack. I like the Ghoztcraft map idea as long as both sides are symmetrical.

2. When we came up with the idea, the map allowed us to play a three round game, without re-hosting each match. Is this realistic? Should we be playing on rounds, or should each player play once, and move to the next game in the tournament? The idea was to have a longer lasting tournament.

I like the three round game thing. :]

3. We allowed spectators in the game, and staff from Ghoztcraft to help out or spectate. People said that in turn those would not be allowed to participate. Should we not allow spectators, as to potential cheating?

Well, I don't really see a need in spectators, since there's gonna be that live stream thing right? People can just watch from there, and maybe you can put in a chatbox under the stream so we can discuss.

4. What benefits should VIP Members get? We allowed them to play first, is this fair?

Maybe VIP/Staff Members could be allowed to choose their own maps? But then in the case that it's VIP vs VIP, then. . . I dunno. . . *-*

I don't like fully upgraded maps. :/

With that said, let's hear some feedback. Once I feel comfortable, I'll start planning it out and dates will be released.

I like the SCHT in general, and it's a good way for publicity. But I would never join. I'm too much of a noob.

I also felt it unorganized

We need to put some weight on the idea that we encourage EVERYONE to join. If you think you're a bad player or a good one. A match is a match, is everyone who says they suck joins the tournament, then we'll end up having a lot more matches.

I'll join I guess but I think the main problem is working with EVERYONES time, usually things pop up and you can't really say "oh sorry I have SCHT tourny to do".

Before we even begin to prepare for the Starcraft Hackers Tournament. I wanted to get some feedback from the community as to how things should be done. We tried the first time, and it was planned out, but planned out without the opinions of the players. Not to mention, we couldn't keep everyone rounded up, so it was poorly executed.

But this time around, I'm looking to do things right. So let's have a discussion about how things should run, I'll bring up a couple of the issues, and then we'll go from there.

1. We should play on one of the default broodwar map's, Just modify it as we (Ghoztcraft) see fit. (spectators, rounds, etc.)

2. 3 Round game was good we should keep that.

3. Its a hacking tournament, there is no cheating....

4. Vip members should not receive any special treatment for the tournament.

5. Yes that was the worst idea ever. Units should be upgraded by the player it adds more strategy to the match.

Yeah VIP members shouldn't receive special treatment, also for observers have a little micro game that is always nice ^^.

A micro game for observers.. any ideas?

Yeah just a little thing to keep us entertained. :D

And we ARE doing that live stream thing again? Because I wanna watch some of the tournaments that I missed.

1. Pick a map that is fairly used in real Starcraft tournaments (Lost Temple).

2. I think it was a bad idea. You need to remake the game for the sake of upgrades. Three rounds for the purpose of making the tournament longer isn't such a bad idea. Though to some it might seem to be unnecessary. Only use rounds if we're actually trying to elongate the tournament.

3. Spectators should not be allowed to participate. It's just plain unfair.

4. If by play first you mean they were the first ones set up for matches, that was perfectly acceptable and a great idea.

5. Having units already upgraded is a terrible idea.

Well I don't see how spectators are unfair since there is no way they could cheat.

It's a hackers tournament, you have maphack, so spectators are no use for that.

I think he wants spectators to be players not random people.

Also if it isn't to much of a burden have a chat system for the people watching the live stream.

Why do you have to make the decison on rounds this soon? First find out how many are going to play, then decide whether or not there is enough to have multiple rounds or not.

Slightly modify a map such as LT to make it's own "GC Map" while preserving everything that people like about a map such as LT. (Basically I'm saying modify the LT map a little bit (somehow make GC show up on the minimap or w/e) but dont change it too much)

Pre-upgraded units is bad, as everyone has said and I'm sure this question has been answered now, and I think we can safely say pre-upgraded units will not be in.

VIP should not get any benefits other than they are able to play first if they choose to do so.

No spectators other than Mods of GC should be allowed in. What if you get some kid that thinks it would be funny to spectate and near the end of the match drophack someone just for the luls. - Just don't do it, unless it's trusted Mods of the site.

Yeah a chat system would be really cool like i said.

And as long as i can spectate. . . :D:D I'm good! :D

I think VIP should get benefits, i just don't know what would be a nice benefit that's not TOO unfair.

Suteki has a good point about the spectators. I'm thinking VIP members shouldn't have any benefits, if anything their benefit is having access to VIP hacks during the tournament while other people use other hacks.

It seems like Lost Temple is a highly respected map so far and having a GC version would be nice.

Or VIP benefits would be spectating?

Yea, That's what I was thinking.

Suteki has a good point about the spectators. I'm thinking VIP members shouldn't have any benefits, if anything their benefit is having access to VIP hacks during the tournament while other people use other hacks.

Also what I was thinking.

Yea, That's what I was thinking.

Also what I was thinking.

Think about what type of hacks people have access to in VIP, it goes with my certain hack mention.

Your access to hacks used in the tourney is also a VIP benefit.

Mods/VIP would be there just to watch, and hopefully to commentate recorded on vent or something and splatched on, and this would make it more interesting in live feed as well. (i volunteer. :o)

We should do best 2 out of 3 on ALL regular starcraft tournament sanctioned maps.

Here, i got this from Super Smash Brothers Melee tournaments.

1. Double blind pick for races; XGhozt does a random pick of the map, or the players agree on it.
2. Winner gets to ban one map, Loser picks the next map, then the winner gets to choose a race, then the loser.
3. Repeat step two if it is tied.

-You cannot pick a stage that you have already won on in the set, you must show that you are capable of winning on more than one stage. (The loser can pick a stage they have lost on.)

-You can also ask for a random pick by XGhozt instead of a counterpick map.

What do you guys think?

I like the map selection idea, but only if there were enough people.

Okay, so we remake the map, but we can't have a 3 round game like that because then we need to have upgrades. Otherwise what you upgrade will pass on to the next round. It's not hard to rehost a game anyway.

With that said, then all we really need is a few spectators for video and audio broadcasting. Which, we can figure out later. I'd rather do it myself anyway.

Keep the input coming, I'm building a game plan.

Awwwww so only Audio/Video people?

Sign in to follow this