Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

How to defeat mass carriers?

I played a game of Phantom earlier today, and one of the Phantoms in the game built up so many carriers my FPS went to 3. How would one defeat this using Protoss? We did eventually defeat him by working together (obviously), but if it was a 1v1, what's the best counter from Protoss for mass carriers?

Terran Counter: Mass Vikings, Marine Support for taking out interceptors; Just micro them away when the carriers get close. Their have longer range and are faster.

Zerg Counter: Corruptors are most suitable, but mass muta works fine if you focus fire

Protoss Counter: Mass Blink Stalkers -Blink right under and focus fire; Void Rays en masse work quite well, but try to charge up on something else before engaging

To be honest, you will probably NEVER see mass carriers in a 1v1 (At least in higher leagues). Carriers just aren't worth it most of the time, and their build time is horrendous. You will mostly see mass carriers in FFA games and in your case, Phantom, which is an FFA game but one person can actually afford mass carriers a lot sooner. :P

i personally would try massing archons with full shield upgrade. but im not pro or anything of the sort these days

Yeah Mass vikings for terrans with micro is good, however zerg's corrupters can pwn carriers so hard it's ridiculous

i personally would try massing archons with full shield upgrade. but im not pro or anything of the sort these days

That would be extremely bad cost-wise and damagewise. Archons are meant to count light/bio units; they do extra damage vs those. Full shield upgrade is a crazy cost and making archons themselves is not worth it when DTs/HTs are much more cost effective. Archons suck a lot more compared to in BW.

Yeah splash is almost none existent

personally i think they are totally worth it. especially when backed by ht, with that crazy shield all the way upped along with storms ibet you could do it. now if you added in a Mothership you could vortex them get in close and when they all come back out they cant see your archons and focus fire with all that splash damage. idk about how you guys play but im a resource whore so nothin is really out of the question.

For Terran just get a few ghost lay down 2 emps, archons are usless, ht's energy is gone marines will clean it up

personally i think they are totally worth it. especially when backed by ht, with that crazy shield all the way upped along with storms ibet you could do it. now if you added in a Mothership you could vortex them get in close and when they all come back out they cant see your archons and focus fire with all that splash damage. idk about how you guys play but im a resource whore so nothin is really out of the question.

It's not about if it would work, but how cost effective it is. The fact of the matter is that Archons aren't made to counter Carriers, and sure if you get enough of them and spend a bajillion upgrades on them, then yeah, they will kill them. But their splash damage is laughable and they do no extra damage to armored. Plus, their range is 2 and Carriers can easily out micro them. Btw, Psi Storm doesn't do nearly enough damage to air as it does to ground. D;

Oh right still against carriers. and yeah the amount of money of Archons and HTs vs carriers is ridiculous

I'm going to have to do some testing and solve this once and for all. :unsure:

Nukes>all

How many nukes we talking here? and How many carriers?

Hallucinate 500 Void rays and scare him into gg.

Only way.

• Like 1

hope your good news

hope your good news

test if i can see my post

Hallucinate 500 Void rays and scare him into gg.

Only way.

ROFLMFAO. it would suck if they had an observer O_o

Actually I already went through this.

I usually play Zerg so that is the only race I can give you advice in.

Mass Hydras and the the same old SC tactic, aim for the Carrier.

While he is occupied just swarm his base if he is attacking you.

Obviously you should have full upgrades beforehand.

I usually just nydus their base and swarm where their Nexus is.

I love the SC2 Nydus!

Edited by Renegade Angel