Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

sc1 unit placer/takeover utility

hi. i'm looking for a hack or mod that lets you instantly place units on a desired location, just like in map editors, only in-game. offline usage of course. does such an application exist? can it be made?

thanks.

As far as I know no such application currently exists. There have been versions of this in the past which created interesting results when not created properly.

You could use triggers to create units on the map; either automatically or when you move a unit to a certain location. I know that's not what you had in mind, but perhaps you can get the results you were looking for that way as well?

Sounds like UMS would work fine, then you could play online with it too.

Pretty sure he wants to be able to place units in invalid places that triggers wouldn't work properly with.

i want it to be so when i click somewhere on the map, a unit/building/hero i specify (via a menu or something like that) will appear in that exact location, and a take over function which will transfer control of the clicked enemy unit/building to me. and i want it to work only in singleplayer/campaign missions. think how fun would that be! i'm no programmer but i think it's possible to create such a thing. well... i could be wrong too,

i know that apocalypse has a morph function which is not exactly what i want, but close. however i can't make it work on campaign missions. :(

A program that can do what you are describing is possible, though I've never seen anyone make something as detailed as that. You'd have to disable the limitations in creating a unit in a location that wouldn't normally be able to have a unit, otherwise you'll run into those placement error messages.

When Freedom was in development, Heinermann wanted to create a map editor that would allow you to create triggers and maps in game. So something like this is possible, and would have existed had the project not been shut down.

SS 20101108160453.png

too bad. such an application could have been useful, not to mention entertaining. my idea would be to have a designated key, that when pressed in-game would activate the hack interface and create a mobile location that follows the mouse pointer so you can place/takeover units. then, to return back to your game, you would only have to do a right-click. it's a pity i don't have the programming knowledge to do this.

P.S. are locations really necessary for something like this? the game places marines near your barracks when you train them, and it doesn't need locations to do so.

Actually, something like that is possible using only EUD Triggers. Might wanna bring that up over at SEN.

i already asked on their forums, and other sites, but no one responded yet.

i'm not familiar with EUDs, but from what i've read so far, they can only be used to alter unit's properties, not place new ones, or takeover others. and you would have to have special maps to use them. they won't work on campaign missions. am i wrong?

That's correct, you'd have to create your own custom game to have a system to create a unit by using a hot key.

EUDs cannot alter memory unless you use a special tool created by the folks over at SEN that enable writing actions for EUD Triggers. This will allow you to potentially make units change owners and other stats. Because you have to create these triggers, you can't exactly use them in the campaign. But it's the closest you can get to doing something of this nature without having to make a program do it for you.

the EUDs appear to be complicated to use, and have limited possibilities.

are there any skilled persons that might be interested in developing a hack like this? i'm pretty sure it would become very popular among sc/bw users, not only for it's entertaining value, but also as an aid in strategy planning/analysis. basically, it should be a .dll with possibly a configuration file like oblivion and other hacks. and the interface could be a transparent window with menu buttons, like the one seen in StarAPI.

that's dumb.. how long have u been playing sc1 for and how old are you

As far as I know no such application currently exists. There have been versions of this in the past which created interesting results when not created properly.

ALL LIES!