Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Wifi Icon Malfunctioning

Hello all, just asking an odd question concerning my laptop. It's been displaying the wrong wifi icon for a while now but only now have I decided to fix it up. It always shows the disconnected wifi icon even when I am connected. It will display any other icon state fine, such as wireless connections are available, currently connecting, etc. But when it gets a successful connection, it will display the connections unavailable/disconnected icon. Screenshot follows below.

SS%2020101212184421.png

This screeny was taken while I was connected to my wifi.

I have a somewhat similiar problem, except it's with the audio symbol. My sound card and speakers work fine, I can hear it perfectly- it just displays the wrong icon. This is a desktop, not a laptop, btw.

AudioSymbolAsploded.jpg

I believe this was the result of an update that I had applied a while ago. I'm not entirely sure though, and I do not wish to uninstall updates just to figure out this small quirk.

Just because I'm curious, right click My computer>Manage then go to device manager then under Network Adapters what all do you have in what order? (screenshot maybe)

If you have bridged your networks it could cause it to display the wrong icon (it did it for me on windows XP) im not quite sure why it does it. As for windows 7.... i haven't had to bridge my connection, however I can tell you that my system is completely up to date and my WiFi bar is functioning properly.

If you have bridged your networks it could cause it to display the wrong icon (it did it for me on windows XP)

Also applies to me. Funny though, right now it's one of the few times where it's displaying properly. :3

No connections have been bridged. It's only when it's connected via wifi does it malfunction. Right now it's connected via CAT-5 and it's icon is working just fine (Monitor icon).

EDIT: Also, my laptop's completely updated as well.

What's the driver #? and what are all the settings you have selected under Advanced (there is quite a bit but I have the same exact wifi card so I'll try and help compare what I have as I have no problems)

Or rather I'll just tell you what I have and you can compare.

802.11n band 2.4 = 20 Mhz only

802.11n band 5.2 = Auto

102.11 mode = Enabled

Ad Hoc CHan 802.11b/g = 11

Ad Hoc Qos Mode = WMM Disabled

Fat chan intol. = Disabled

Mixed mode protect. = CTS-to-self Enabled

Roaming agro. = 3. Medium

Transmit Power = 5. Highest

Wireless mode = 6. 802.11a/b/g

Sounds more like it would be a Driver problem more than any of those though, and my driver version is

Driver Date: 7/14/2010

Driver Version: 13.3.0.24

I'm on Vista, and if you are too I will almost guarantee your card isn't as updated as mine....even if your laptop is newer than mine I would bet. So if you would like you can google that driver.

Hope this helps.

802.11n band 2.4 = 20 Mhz only

802.11n band 5.2 = Auto

102.11 mode = Enabled

Ad Hoc CHan 802.11b/g = 11

Ad Hoc Qos Mode = WMM Disabled

Fat chan intol. = Disabled

Mixed mode protect. = CTS-to-self Enabled

Roaming agro. = 3. Medium

Transmit Power = 5. Highest

Wireless mode = 6. 802.11a/b/g

Driver Date: 1/13/2010

Driver Version: 13.1.1.1

I'll try updating and will reply with results. That's the only difference between our cards.

Updating the driver had no effect :[

I'm connected via wifi at this airport right now and it's still showing the no connections available icon. (Same image in the OP)

Oh boy. Now I have this problem. I'm connected to a local area network, not WiFi and I have full internet access. However, it shows the icon x'd out. I updated the driver, no effect.

systemtray.jpg

Uh, ok? All I want to know is why it's X'd out and how I can fix it, doesn't matter if it's the same problem or not. =/

If you read the thread you would see that Viper hasn't been able to fix even his own problem.

I did read the thread, was just hoping that details on a problem that's similar might help (?). I guess I won't find help here. ermm.gif

The solution is probably near the same for both of you, however we have not been able to find it.