Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

The Playstation 3 predicament

Hey guys, I found an editorial that is pretty interesting. It's basically this editors opinion on how things are shaking up in the Next-gen market. I found it very interesting indeed. He is an editor in chief at a reputable gaming magazine. I thought you guys would like it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that everyone I talk to in the industry is down on the Playstation 3. I've even heard from some of my friends that work there that seem less than confident in Sony's ability to even compete - much less win - in the next-generation war.

It makes it tough to keep a balanced and critical view of how this console generation is developing.

I remember being at the Tokyo Game Show in 2005 with a crew of industry illuminati as we sat around and nit-picked Microsoft's 360 launch in a posh Tokyo hotel bar. At the time, I told them some of the things I had learned about Microsoft's plan of attack and that while there were some problems (as there is with any console), its strategy was solid. At the time of course, most of the chorus was one of negativity towards Microsoft's second console attempt.

While I won't dig too deep into the discussion, we did spend the rest of the night analyzing the various pitfalls and innovations that the next-generation would bring.

Those in the Sony camp pointed towards its experience and leadership in the console space and h ow it would not be easy to unseat. In 2005, I couldn't have agreed more.

In 2006, it is much more difficult to put in perspective. I've seen many in the industry go from doom and gloom for the 360 to an unbreakable belief that it simply can't be beat. I've seen people say that Sony brang recognition alone is enough to take it back to the top....regardless of price.

There are no easy answers here. We have to watch the battle unfold. Over the last year, the Xbox 360 has gone from demonized to canonized, and Sony has fallen from sure-fire winner to doubtful prospect. A year from now it could all be upside down again. I know I still see a strategy for success here with Sony, just as I did with Microsoft before it, but is sure does feel like the company is doing everything in its power to muck it up.

So much so, that I can't stop that sinking feeling in my gut that there is more to Sony's problem than mere rhetoric. We call them daily looking for answers to tough questions with none to be found. Developers speak of little to no knowlage of Sony's online plans and fear that incorporating these aspects into their games may be impossible. All these things do not sound like the seasoned market leader, a position that Sony has enjoyed for years. These are signs of a company is disarray.

I'm trying to keep my objectivity. I wish all three hardward manufacturers success. And as I have said before I think it's possible for any of the three to emerge victorious.

However Sony needs to stop talking a big game, and actually start acting like it is playing for keeps in this generation. Gamers want to know what their 600 dollars will buy them. Developers and publishers want to know why they need to invest tens of millions of dollars in creating games for the Playstation 3 platform, but all Sony has cultivated over the last six months is negative commentaries and hearsay that continues to breed distrust.

Save your judgements untill the entire case is heard, which in my opinion won't be untill the dust settles after the 2007 holiday season. But if Sony doesn't start showing us why we loved their hardware over the last then years, there will most certainly be hard days ahead.

Andy McNamara Editor in Chief

00001353.jpg

No offense but its not really that funny...could have been better.

I know, but I'm too lazy to make one myself. Found this one on google :P

Well its more factual than funny. I mean, Sony did steal some ideas for the PS3 just so they can compete in the Next Gen Race

I don't take anything offensive. Say what you want, I'm str8 up :D

None taken Jordan.

Edited by Renegade~

ps3 owns:

xbox

n64

gamecube

ps2

xbox

dreamcast

xbox360

ps1

wii

along with everyother gameing consols

Ps3 PWNS ALL j00 n00b xbox360 lovers.

GO TO HELL xboX360!!!

1337 h4x t00 g00d 4 j000!!!!

The only thing that makes the 360 next gen is the fact that all games can be played in High Def.

BIG WHOOP

The Playstation have a faster bit rate on running cd's, and the graphic acceleration as compared to the other systems is a masterful piece of art.

And furthermore, the xbox 360 is just the first xbox with a cooler looking shell, and smaller pieces. It's the slimeline playstation 2 for the Xbox.

Yeah, Microsoft could have waited and made the 360 much more better. However it is sorta like a taste of the things yet to come. but for now i love the Xbox 360. (It's theme is white and green this time and it has halo :D)

I think the problem with both systems is you really don't get much unless you have high definition. With the Ps3 you have hdmi which obviously give you much better resolution, but is useless unless you have a great TV. With the 360 some of the games you can't even read some of the writing in game unless you have HD which makes playing the game frustrating sometimes. I guess you could say with a disk that can hold 50gig you could make much more in depth games....

FYI, oblivion (the massive rpg that got 9.6/10 on gamespot) only took up half of a dvd9.

I understand that Poply, thank you though for the redundant info. I am aware of how much space the current games are taking up. More space opens up more possibilities. Im not saying that they will make games that are so huge, what I am saying is that it gives more possibilities. Plain and simple. Everyone knows that more space in gaming and computers usually means more features, or a longer game, or whatever

360's have more space than my computer. ;)

What your harddrive?

I was refering to the disk space. But you never know how developers will choose to use that space. If they do not do a good job of using what is available to them then the whole point is kinda moot i suppose.

I understand that Poply, thank you though for the redundant info. I am aware of how much space the current games are taking up. More space opens up more possibilities. Im not saying that they will make games that are so huge, what I am saying is that it gives more possibilities. Plain and simple. Everyone knows that more space in gaming and computers usually means more features, or a longer game, or whatever

the only thing more space does is let devs put huge high res videos in the games (like final fantasy) and multiple languages. more space doesnt offer new gameplay. it's unneeded for now.