Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Blizzard Announces Starcraft 2!

Blizzard announces StarCraft 2!

day7.jpg

After years of waiting, Blizzard Entertainment seconds ago announced that StarCraft 2 would be the new game!

We just got hit by the news that SC2 is indeed out! What we have so far is reports by IGN about the new game and that it looks like an RTS and not an MMO. The game is actually playable and is being showed live on screen at WWI.

So far we know very little about the game apart from what is being showed at the video at the World Wide Invitational.

There appears to be new Protoss units called Immortals and Colossus. Immortals have a shield that actives upon damage only. Colossus are huge Protoss units with dual laser shots apparently.

Terran reapers are also new units. Only game play information so far.

New Protoss unit called Stalker which can teleport.

Many Zerg apparently have teleport as well.

Several new Protoss units available, another one called Warprey, a flying unit.

This appears to be a live demonstration meaning its not a movie; will probably be available online at a later time.

Zerglings can now mutate into bombs that suicide that roll across the map. Yet another new Protoss unit called Phoenix.

A new Protoss unit called a Protoss Mothership which you can only have one at the time.

3:10 - Terran reapers - can hop across unever terrain with jump packs - two types of small pistols that don't activate immortals. Protoss now have the ability to create shields whereever they want. Protoss can now warp in units from manufacturing facilities anything within pylon range. New protoss unit - stalker - can teleport - quadripedal thing - can keep blinking forward - seems to be a shot cooldown on the ability. Zerg start coming in, giant worms pop out of ground unleasing zerglings. Protoss can use phase fields and teleporting abilities to create an army anywhere on the battlefield, according to Blizzard.

3:09 - controlling protoss zealots - still has psi blades and personal shield - new charge ability that let him quickly close range on enemies. Siege tanks shown - still the same type of behavior where they can lock down - take out zealots really quickly - new protoss unit - called immortals - have special shield that only activates upon being powerfully attacked - siege tanks could barely do any damage to them.

3:07 - Showing gameplay footage - Looks like protoss ships - floating over asteroid/ base structure - entering protoss ase - similar looking buildings - vespene gas still in the game - character pane shows up on right side - some protoss guy - shifts to terran bases floating on rockets over same type of territory - sill collecting crystals as resources - marines load out. Dustin is actually playing the game - nothing in the game is final.

3:15 - Zerglings can mutate into suicidal bomb things thar roll across the ground - very powerful explosions. Colossus using new IK system to move across differences in terraing height. Colossus extremley weak against air strike - New unit for protoss - Pheonix - can overcharge guns for multiple projectile blast - but after blast the ship is rendered inert for a short period.

3:18 - warprey also very effective against structures - very vulnerable to small unit fire - shws warpreys getting wiped out by terran marines. Physics system lets debris from warpreys roll down a ramp. Showing one more unit - warped in in a serious of cubes - giant floating base - called a protoss mothership - can only have 1 at a time - cost big resources - special abilities include timebomb that slows all enemy missiles inside - shows terran missle launcher shooting in projectiles that stop in the field before they reach the ship - when field ends missiles drop the ground - planet cracker attack - giant lasers stream from ship to ground - ship can be moved around while planet cracker laser is active - the ship looks like a metallic, triangular sand dollar - mothership can create a black hole anywhere it wannts to - creates distortion that actually sucks ships in and destroys them - in the demo the black hole destroyed four terran battle cruisers in about ten seconds.

3:26 - Showing another video of "things to come." concept art for SC2 - zerg landscapes - ruined terran structures - freen filds - SC2 looks, at least visually, strikingly similar to SC1 - both in unit and map designs. Now showing a giant rush of zerglings - probably over 100 of them, swarming with no slowdown - mroe character art - finishes with the StarCraft II logo.

3:50 - Blizzard has not yet announced a release date for StarCraft 2.

3:44 - Had to run out of conference room to plug in laptop - there's an hour long information session starting in about 30 minutes - don't know if there's an internet connection there so I might not be able to update until i get back. As for initial StarCraft 2 impressions - the game looked very similar to SC1 - nearly identical user interface - graphic styles and unit proportions nearly the same - more flashy lighting effects but it seems like Blizzard didn't want to mess with SC's underlying formula very much. The screens they showed the video on didn't display the video very clearly, unfortunately, but the game still looked pretty with some nice animations. We'll have to wait to bring you any updates on what kind of story elements are in SC2 - hopefully they're in the panel discussion. Anyway, gotta run - thanks for reading and we'll update as soon as possible.

Ingame unit summary

New units:

# Terran Reaper (Ground Unit: mobile jump-pack unit, pistols)

# Protoss Colossus (Ground Unit: Dual lasers, huge - can walk over terrain heights, weak vs air)

# Protoss Immortal (Ground Unit: Special shields good vs heavy damage)

# Protoss Phoenix (Air unit: Can overcharge weapons for a burst of fire, then temporarily powerless, can target air, possibly also ground units)

# Protoss Stalker (Ground Unit: ‘blink’ teleport ability)

# Protoss Warprey (Warp Ray?) (Air unit: Laser beam attack that gets more damaging the longer it continually hits a target. Also strong vs buildings, weak vs marines.)

# Protoss Mothership – Super-unit (Air unit: Can only have one produced at a time, Super abilities include stasis type bomb, ‘Planet-cracker attack’ & Black hole generator – extremely powerful.)

# Zerg underground troop transporter – unnamed.

New Abilities:

# Zerglings mutate to rolling suicide bombs

# Zealot charge ability to quickly close distance

# Protoss can make shieldwalls where they need them

# Protoss can warp units in pylon range, even direct from production.

# Increased focus on Protoss warp/teleport abilities

Confirmed coming back:

# Marines

# Siege Tanks

# Nukes

# Battlecruisers

# (Dropship)

# Terran Buildings ‘liftoff’ ability

# Vespene Gas & Mineral

# Zealots

# Zerglings

IMAGES http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html

"We recognize that expectations are high following the long-running popularity of the original game, but we plan to meet those expectations and deliver an engaging, action-packed, competitive experience that StarCraft players and strategy gamers worldwide will enjoy."

- Mike Morhaime, President of Blizzard Entertainment.

In Blizzard's » Press release, Mike Morhaime also said: "With StarCraft II, we'll be able to do everything we wanted to do with the original StarCraft and more." No release date has yet been announced.

Bad News...They aren't going to release until April 2008 is estimate.

Video at

http://tvpot.daum.net/theme/ThemeView.do?t...amp;lu=m_mono_1

Jim Raynor's end quote: "What took you so long?"

http://sc.gosugamers.net/news/6301

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9198/84...524f387abh1.jpg

http://sc.gosugamers.net/images/StarCraft2Logo.jpg

so godly. i have to buy this and will try to get in any public beta. cant wait until they show off how it looks!

According to IGN, the graphics are strikingly similar to Starcraft 1. So NO 3D!!! >:D

Keep in mind that I will be continuously updating the first post as I find new information or pictures.

Sweet finally sc2 proceeds and you said blizzard would let us down..... :wasntme: happy!

FINALLY AFTER LIKE 10 YEARS THEY GET IT....

that video has been out for minutes and already has 60k views... fuck yes.

OMFG YES

OMFG NO IT WONT LOAD. WAIT THERE IT GOES

T.T wont load T.T

Edited by Mr.Lp

The stream time is incredibly long.

Probably because over 500,000 people are trying to watch it each second :D

Surprising the site can stay on it's feet.

omg youtube link!

as soon as i DL the stream ill upload it to youtube.

refresh page ;P

fucking pwnage game you think this will pwn wc3?

fucking pwnage game you think this will pwn wc3?

bw pwns wc3 already, i dont see why sc2 wont do the same.

OK Just for furture reference, I have a list of units that I had recieved two almost threee years ago. It was a list of Starcraft Units. It also provided a description of them. I thought it was false at first, but upon mention of the Protoss Mothership, I think they might all be true. here are some of the units, or as much as I can remember of them since the list is at home. (I am at my friend's house, and this is what was int he list as far as I can remember)

Protoss Mothership

Can hold up to 20 Interceptors instead of only 8. (Actually shown in the announcement)

Protoss Walker

Think of 5 Dragooons stuck together and you get a Walker. (Sounds like the Protoss Colossus in the announcement)

Protoss High Archon

A Dark Archon/Archon mix It is able to attack normally, as well as use abilities such as creating mobile walls (Those mobile shields in the announcement?) This also takes away all of the unit's shielding, but since it's a high Archon, which is a melding of a High Templar, and a DDark Templar, maybe the Protoss have finally reunited compeletely?

Protoss Nomad

A Zealot with a Plasma Rifle attached to it's arm. It was featured in Starcraft: Ghost, but as we all know, that game was cancelled...

Terran heavy Cruiser

A giant Battle Cruiser with a new cannon. Called an Omega Ray, it's a super powered Yomato Cannon.

Terran Rocketeer

A immobile unit that shoots rockets at targets in range. Almsot like a Siege Tank but not able to be moved at all. Featured in a cinematic as Terran Forces shot at a lone Dragoon in the distance.

Terran Kamikazes

Basically Wraiths that can only attack air units. That or they can suicide upon command.

Terran Wraith Bombers

Wraiths designed specifically to attack ground units. Cannot attack air units.

Zerg Kings

They can infest any building that produces units. Instead of Queens infesting only COmmand Centers, you could have all sorts of infested units. (Possibly more of Kerrigan's innovation?)

Zerg Hyperlisks

They massive Zerg Units are mega Ultralisks, they have an ability called Trample, and yeah, they can trample small units to death...

Zerg Creepers

Little Zerg units that are constantly burrowed, they can move around underground, and can see invisible units above ground.

Zerg Zerglings

I forget the name, but int he description, it said that these little guys can shoot air units too. Albeit very weak attacks. (In the announcement, it was said that Zerglings now have the ability to suicide like an Infested Terran.)

Zerg Overlords

They can now defend themselves. They can create little bombs in themselves like a Reaver, that can bomb ground units only.

Protoss Personal Cloak

Supposedly Dragoons will now be able to cloak themselves at will. This feature was going to be added to the Walker, but it was said that Blizzard thinks this might be too unbalanced.

New Physics and Animations

Large mechanical ships will now actually crash onto the ground and explode causing splash damage.

Mechanical Units on land may cause plash damage to surrounding units upon dying.

Before manned units die, you may eject the commander of that unit. They are able to attack.

Day/Night settings like Warcraft 3 will be included, as well as 14+ Player games.

As far as the unit list goes, it also includes units from other races. And the lsit also says that there will be 6 races total. not just three or four...

Terran - Basically us

Zerg - The ravenous race

Protoss - The ethereal race

Vanix/Varnix - A combination of all three original races... Not sure how that will work...

Dromidians - The combination between Zerg and Protoss

Xel' Naga - The creators of the Zerg and Protoss

I certainly hope that these lsited units are real and will appear in Starcraft 2. If they do, the gameplay will be SO different from the regular old SC. That, and I will be happy that I knew many of the units two or so years before the actual announcement. Please note that these untis are from a list I recieved back in my Sophomore year of high school... I did not make these up, maybe someone else did, idk. But as far as I have seen, Motherships and Zergling things are real... And Nomads were going to be in Starcraft Ghost... SO it's up to you to decided what may be real and what may be false, I'll go get the list later on and see what else I might have missed. But as far as I can remember, the stuff for the original three races are there...

lol... http://www.starcraft2.com

In the video:

Jim Raynor's end quote: "What took you so long?"

rofl, I remember those Viper :D

omg is all i can say to all of this that video gave me chills of excitement. I'm like a giddy School girl

Oh good Bounder, then you know I am not making those up since I had said those how long ago back when you were gonna make your Project X Mod. >.<

We need a youtube video!!

I gave a link to a youtube video...I keep updating the main post as new info becomes available ...

it's near bottom

The famed XGhozt has yet to post in here :D

But yet I see him snooping around :(

Fucking <3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOO HAHAHA YAY!! OMG OMG!!

Not a youtube video of the CGI, I mean a youtube video of the gameplay, that other video takes WAY To Long to load.

There is no video of gameplay yet...