Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Custom Unit Sprites for UMS

Does anyone know how to import Custom Sprites or create new units for UMS games?

I've seen custom units for things like Stardraft but i think its out of date. Does anyone know if this is still even possible? o.o

Also I've been trying to find a good campaign editor anyone got any good ones? :search:

I appreciate all those that can help.

There is no way to do this and make the map playable online.

All units and graphics are in the MPQs and it would then be a mod.

Good Campaign Editors are:

Starforge

SCMDraft

Xtra-Editor

You can find all three of them in our downloads system. Or you can google them. I recommend Xtra-Editor and SCMDraft if your new to map making, and Starforge if your more advanced.

And to answer your question about Custom Unit Sprites, yes, these are stored in the Stardat.mpqt file and the Broodat.mpq file in your Starcraft folder, and no you cannot make them be stored from a map file. You would have to create a mod to use custom sprites.

Thanks for the information. Viper, when you refer to a mod to use custom sprites are you talking about creating a UMS, and if so what is the best way to go about doing that?

I found a site that has alot of custom sprites but the editors are out of date and i am not sure which one would suit this task best.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

A mod, it changes the gameplay and such. Making it unusable on BNet. There is no way to add or change the units in UMS maps or any others.

never say never bounder..dont you remember when the made it so lings could build shit...and you could enable cheat codes in game....NEVER SAY NEVER

I've seen videos of Goku in a Starcraft game. He was using Scarab as his attack. Its on YouTube. I've got a link to a site that I used to go to sometime back that has all these sprites you can use for UMS games. You just need the right editor to sub them out with the regular BW units.

Goku in BW check it out. o.o

I've seen videos of Goku in a Starcraft game. He was using Scarab as his attack. Its on YouTube. I've got a link to a site that I used to go to sometime back that has all these sprites you can use for UMS games. You just need the right editor to sub them out with the regular BW units.

Goku in BW check it out. o.o

That is not online.

I'm curious what editor was used or could be used to create something like that even if it was offline.

These mods are made using special editors that can change, or create new mpq files that are loaded in place of Starcraft's default files. You cannot load these through a map. Mods are completely seperate. Some tools for creating mods are things like Firegraft, Memgraft, Arsenal 3, etc. They maybe old, and I'm not sure what patch, but you can also use the Patch upgrader and downgrader. That's also in our downloads too. It can change your SC to any patch that you want.

Thank you for the help. I was hoping that these sprites would be possible to use online in UMS games. Is this not possible?

Oh you can use mods online as long as whoever your playing with is also running them. And thye can be used in UMS maps, you just can't make them using map editors since they are not maps, they are mods. Earlier, I was trying to make a DotA map for SC, and was actually beginning to start thinking of making a mod to go along with it. But then I discovered that SC has a trigger limit of 2,400 something triggers per map so I called the whole thing off :D

Have you created, or do you posses any mods? My brothers and I game all the time on East. If you have anything cool i would love to try it with my brothers.

Here's a little mod. Have fun with it I suppose. :/

I have created mods a long time ago, I don't have any of them anymore. I'm not that into modding anymore, but I still remember a few things.

A mod, it changes the gameplay and such. Making it unusable on BNet. There is no way to add or change the units in UMS maps or any others.

This is false. It depends on what you change. You can change the image of it, and it's still considered a mod. ie turn a marine into a mineral shadow. And it WILL work online and you WON'T drop-even if your the only one using it. However doing that particular example may cause you to crash when it's created, or if you create it and then try to move it/attack with it.

You should be careful when giving out information and make sure you know what your saying, or / reword it so it's correct.

Don't believe me? Check out Sniper Juice in the VIP section and play a game that has a tank. :D

Thank you for the help. I was hoping that these sprites would be possible to use online in UMS games. Is this not possible?

Yes it is. But you can only change the image of the sprite. It would still have to attack the same, and you can't turn an air unit into a ground one and vise versa without a desynce (ie a drop).

Look into a program called IceCC for your modding needs. I wrote a simple tutorial for it as well to kind of get you familer with it which is on this site in the tutorial section. Have fun, Good luck.

Edited by Suteki

Thank you for all the information. I tried that mod and its cool. You have any others like it or know where i might find some?

Suteki >_> I was talking about big mods.

Changing Graphics and Text Strings makes it playable with other people that don't have the mod.

But if you change anything else besides graphics and text, it will be unusable with humans that don't have it.

With Firegraft you should be able to make any mod you make work on bnet.

Cept the mod I made >_> killed my SC :D so now I can't play games on bnet.

Suteki >_> I was talking about big mods.

Changing Graphics and Text Strings makes it playable with other people that don't have the mod.

But if you change anything else besides graphics and text, it will be unusable with humans that don't have it.

With Firegraft you should be able to make any mod you make work on bnet.

Cept the mod I made >_> killed my SC :D so now I can't play games on bnet.

I figured you were, that's why I included the "reword it" part.

What happend?

Edited by Suteki

actually, you can make mods for just a certain map, but you will need a program called scmloader, and everyone must be using it. This works online and up to the most recent patch. you can find it in the modding section of the downloads.

Thats awesome does anyone have any good mods or know where to get some? Anything with custom units would be interesting.

http://www.campaigncreations.org has Zeji Mod :)

Changes Terran and Protoss into the Zeji and Mekani I think.

Starcraft.org has a good list of mods.