Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Just wanted you to know..

Daemon Tools has Adware on it. I first noticed this when I installed it and my AV detected it\'s exact name.

A-Squared Found nothing

AntiVir Found nothing

ArcaVir Found nothing

Avast Found nothing

AVG Antivirus Found nothing

BitDefender Found nothing

ClamAV Found Adware.WhenU-3

CPsecure Found nothing

Dr.Web Found nothing

F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing

F-Secure Anti-Virus Found nothing

Fortinet Found nothing

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing

NOD32 Found nothing

Norman Virus Control Found nothing

Panda Antivirus Found nothing

Rising Antivirus Found nothing

Sophos Antivirus Found nothing

VirusBuster Found nothing

VBA32 Found nothing

Edited by SilentDE50

I don't use Daemon Tools anyways.

You might not, but alot of people on here do.

EDIT: This is the same program that caused my computer to crash and come up with the "Blue Screen of Death" I got rid of Daemon tools and now the Blue Screen of Death is gone.

Edited by SilentDE50

In your case "The Blue Screen Of Death, BSOD" was probily caused by a game you have installed that prevents tools like Daemon from working correctly, Or you have hardware compatability issues.

The low level of your user experience would bring this claim to deaf ears.

In your case "The Blue Screen Of Death, BSOD" was probily caused by a game you have installed that prevents tools like Daemon from working correctly, Or you have hardware compatability issues.

At least he was trying to tell us. If everyone that didn't have a lot of posts just decided to ignore things and not try to help others regardless if they are wrong then A lot more people would have viruses.

So thanks Silent for letting us know. But it probably is some sort of compatibility issue.

Edited by Suteki

Doesn't make much sense since the file that kept popping up on the blue screen was "DaemonTools.exe"

Actually it really has an adware in it called WhenUSaveNow.

Actually it really has an adware in it called WhenUSaveNow.

That's exactly the name my AV found.

Adware "WhenUSaveNow"

Medium Risk.

Edited by SilentDE50

"I've been a big fan of daemon tools and i find it a very useful and well designed piece of software. I understand that in order to keep daemon tools an effective piece of software its going to need continual updates as new forms of copy protection arise.

However spyware, and stealware are both very evil and illegal invasions into our privacy that we do not need nor should we have to endure.

The WhenU package contains two parts

- WhenU Daemon Tools SearchBar

- WhenU SaveNow

When U Daemon Tools SearchBar

This piece of software infests itself in the usual way into your internet browser. Every page you view on the web is monitored. From the pages you visit it builds an advertising profile, in other words advertising products to you that relate to what you do on the net.

Not really evil but still an invasion of your privacy. Also all the sites that you visit are logged and used by the company for many different things. However they dont keep any personably identifiable information.

The real evil comes with the

WhenU SaveNow

This piece of software is also being bundled with all the popular p2p file sharing clients.

This piece of software is designed to steal money that it is not entitled to, Hence STEALWARE.

You can read one of the many articles i came accross when i googled "save now"

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3390.cfm

The article explains how when u place orders with retailers it modifies your information to make the shop think that the reason you brought the product was because of SaveNow's advertising and they take a cut of the profits.

So this software is stealing affiliates money from other companies, this is illegal, plain and simple.

Other than the highly illegal stealware it also contains adware and evil popups also tailored to the sites you visit.

One important point to remember

- installing the WhenU Daemon Tools SearchBar is optional but,

- installing the WhenU SaveNow (stealware) software is mandatory to install daemon tools."

Along with " Even though there is an option to skip it, I've noticed on some installs, the installer messes up and still installs the adware."

Source

Edited by Suteki

Exactly, so I'm not stupid. I was right to be warned.

EDIT: I found the problem, my AVs were rejected Daemon Tools, even though I told them to accept it, it wouldn't let me change the option. Obviously it knew there was a risk in it.

Edited by SilentDE50

Exactly, so I'm not stupid. I was right to be warned.

EDIT: I found the problem, my AVs were rejected Daemon Tools, even though I told them to accept it, it wouldn't let me change the option. Obviously it knew there was a risk in it.

And THAT is why I said people even with low post counts should post stuff like this. :P Now if we went with other peoples views as I said before, a lot more of us would have viruses. :(

What scares me is that out of all those scanners, only 1 found something. >_<

Edited by Suteki

Actually you just have to end the process of the WhenUSaveNow installation when you install DaemonTools and then you don't have to fear anything. And Windows Defender blocked that for me, but there was some problem with that program but I have no idea what.

Anyways, if we are talking about monitoring sites, what's up with Alexa built into Windows XP, hmm?

Actually you just have to end the process of the WhenUSaveNow installation when you install DaemonTools and then you don't have to fear anything. And Windows Defender blocked that for me, but there was some problem with that program but I have no idea what.

Anyways, if we are talking about monitoring sites, what's up with Alexa built into Windows XP, hmm?

:( I wanna get Windows Defender, but I don't got "Genuine Windows" -.-

Ditto, I never use Daemon Tools. Everyone knows that they always have had adware in their downloads. It is how they make their money.

Edited by Zhuinden

aww so sad lol i hope demaon pwns ur computer lol j/k download firefox it blocks all online viruses from websites and downloads http://www.firefox.com

Not true. Alot of stuff gets past Firefox security.