Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Discussion on Music Piracy.

What is your opinion on Piracy and what philosophy would you use to prevent it?

---

The Music Industry

There are several points I would like to make here about this subject. Before I begin, let me give a brief outline. The statement is that stealing music from the internet is taking money from the author of that song or album. P2P Networks allow access to millions of songs instantly and for free. This is bad, because it is hurting the economy. It's doing so in a sense that back in 1999 the amount of mone spent on music was over 10 million. And in 2007 it was less than 800 thousand.

The argumentative points against this:

Arguments.

The songs you download are not songs you would pay/listen to the in the first place.

You only want a few songs from the album.

I's faster and free; I don't have the money in the first place and I enjoy the music.

It's not stealing, it's just making a copy of the music for personal non-commercial use.

I download the music to listen to it before I buy it, and I normally do.

Ideas.

There should be one fee, as is downloading music was like paying for water. You pay 100 bucks a month and you get as much as you want.

Here are the counter arguments for each point previously listed.

The Counter Arguments

a.
This may be a fact for a small percentage of people, but the majority of the people downloading the music would rather have it for free than to go o the store and buy it. The age range this is aimed it is 16- 24 year olds.

b.
There are places available to where you can only buy one song if you wanted to.

c & d.
The people who allow you to enjoy those songs you listen to need more money to have the opportunity to produce more tracks. It costs anywhere from 50 to 80 cents to produce one song on a cd. So downloading them is stealing from he author. With that said doing so also could prevent potentially good artists to create more music. If creating music was their dream, their life, hen because you downloaded their site, you ruined their career.

e.
This is qualified as an excuse. This may very well be the case for older people (over the age of 25) but the chance of that being a legit cause for young adults is slim. There are many places you can go preview 30 seconds of a song before you buy it. Even in stores there are booths to type in a track number and listen to the song before you buy it.

f.
The Music Industry isn't a utility. The money can't just go to one place. There is no real way to figure out how much money goes to each artist for their music. A system like this just wont work.

-

I honestly have no ideas here. I don't understand how any one theory could possibly prevail. Is there some way artists can make money from their music? It would need to be something that makes downloading the music worse than buying it. Something about buying the music other than a warm fussy feeling has to be made. This way people would feel more obligated to buy the music rather than download it. What are you ideas?

I say that I wouldn't have enough money to afford that 8,8 gigs of music on my comp If I bought it in the shop. Like, if the costs weren't around 5% of a normal payment of a normal working person around here, I might reconsider supporting the artist. But good music isn't even available in the shops, the real and only good music can be found only by eMule and sometimes BitTorrent.

I download music.

If I really like a band

I go out and buy their CD just for the...sentimental value.

And because it's better Audio.

I usually use a program like Limewire. I used to actually buy them from the store, and now I feel this is more cheaper and faster and i have more money to spend on other things.

i have over half a terabyte of hard drive to devote to warez and torrentz, though im really really picky about music, i usually only pick individual songs...

then you can just record them off youtube lol, atm im torrenting diablo 2, i realized the links magic bitch gave me were rapidshit and therefore, a 200 min wait time between downloads -.-

i do prefer warez, i couldnt find any good d2 ware links, so torrenting at an average of 20-40 kb/s is ok :P

it'll be done tomorrow!

oh yea, think about it, rich bitch music artists taking money away from middle-lower class america...

Someone suggested an idea to me; Stop producing music cd's and only have them available online.

Could this work? What's your opinion?

Someone suggested an idea to me; Stop producing music cd's and only have them available online.

I say yes and no, works for nubcakes. Not for 133b h4x0rs.

No I don't think that would work. A lot of people don't have the internet. Park Associates, a Dallas-based technology market research firm, said 29 percent of U.S. households, or 31 million homes, do not have Internet access and do not intend to subscribe to an Internet service over the next 12 months."

That's true, I think that fighting over piracy of music is a lost hope because it will always happen.

Definitely not, as said above some people don't have a computer let alone internet, another issue with this is that some if not most people who do have internet and buy CD's (like myself) for the sentimental value. Others also collect Cd's like myself I have my Rock collection for which I am very proud of.

About the internet music Piracy thing, there is nothing wrong with it. Its called 'anonymity' thats mainly why people do it knowing the consequences, over here in Australia I've seen threats on Cd's saying that uploading/downloading or sharing the music online to others who haven't paid for it can result in a $500,000AUD fine. because there are so many people doing it the chances of you being caught EVEN IF THEY DID ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT it is like at least in Australia, im guestimating here, about 1 in 4million people. At one point or another you will illegally download music, whether it be by accident or some other excuse 8-).

I do 'Illegally' download music, but thats usually just because i CBF going to the shop to get it, or I would want to check out the album before paying for it. It's kind of like a precautionary measure.

What difference is there from downloading a song and saving it on your hard drive and listening to free music online? nothing i tells you, its the same thing its downloading it without paying for it, I mean if you need something to sooth your guilty conscious then just go to you Temp files in C:/Document Settings/[login name here]/Temp. about 80% of computer with proper cookies enabled have the song stored here while it is streaming, thats why when you stream something you can listen to it as many times after.

Another thing is that MUSIC SHOULD BE FREE, what right do people have to make us pay for something so beautiful :) how many artists play music just for the purpose of making money, its just a bonus that comes with providing people with their beautiful music, and if they really wanted to make money then they would do the smart thing of charging less for the CD's so they sell more and make the same amount of money, this way even more people are happy.

^_^

Record Companies need to go away. Someone opens up a music broadcasting company that does it all online, and they get their money from ads. all the money from song sales goes to the actual artist.

This way, people can pay 10 cents for a download of a song, and the artist gets all that 10 cents. 1,000,000 downloads of one song is 100,000 bucks.

Don;t have internet? Get out of the music business. That shouldnt be all thats stopping you. There have been larger obsticales for the bands of the past.

What i am trying to say is i would pay for more of my music if more of my money actually went to the artist. 1.00 a song is a fucking lot of money, considering the artist only gets like 5 cents of it.

I will buy music but only if it's good. Yes I download illegal music (Well not lately) but I've kept a very good record about buying the music I enjoy. If I don't like it, the mp3's will be deleted. I wont buy them from a retail stores. Paying $20-30 for a cd is stupid. I'll pick them up used from Amazon.com. If I want to support a particular band. I'll buy the cd used for $3 and mail the band a check for $15.

I think the ides of record companies are good but they have become too greedy and the stories I hear about the RIAA and MPAA make me sick.

Same goes with games and software... but I could never bring myself to buying Photoshop.... thats just ridiculous.

Now only buying it online i don't care for. I enjoy having a physical thing that shows me that I bought something real. Not a series of 1s and 0s magnetically stores on a piece of metal. I'm not impressed when my friend shows me how many movies he burned to dvds. I like to look over and see my legit collection of movies that I enjoy.

People, Bands Singer whatever don't make money from the soundtrack they make money from the places where they perform so i see nothing wrong about downloading free songs

I find myself very undecided on this issue.

On one side, I feel music isn't something we should have to pay for song for song or even album by album. I agree with the arguement stating there should be a download site that is supported by ads, since we all know it can be done with certain other sites. (See: myspace, yahoo/google/hotmail, megaupload, etc.) Ads have proven time and time again that websites can be supported or even profit from ads alone.

However, stating that internet piracy has deprived artist is a completely different issue, since most artists don't suffer from it, in fact, I think it may be beneficial to some, as it spreads, giving the artist a potential fan.

To make music only online would force everything to go digital, rendering those without internet unable to get music at all. I myself only buy music from itunes, because my conscience would kill me if I downloaded illegally. That's just me though. I think it's wrong to download music people put a lot of work and money into. Although the artists still seem to be making millions. If the artist did it simply for money, then by all means, download the music illegally.