Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Nintendo Updates Wii Fit Launch Plans

Nintendo Updates Wii Fit Launch Plans

We've been wondering when Nintendo of America would get around to dating the oh-so-popular Wii Fit, and today the company came one step closer to delivering waggle fitness into our homes. Nintendo distributed an updated release list this afternoon, which lists Wii Fit as a second quarter release. OK, that's not very specific (nor does it include a price), but it's more than we know before, right?

Also noteworthy is additional confirmation of Mario Kart Wii, set to arrive during the Spring. As with Wii Fit, we're still in the dark on a specific date, but expect that to change after Super Smash Bros. Brawl ships.

The rest of the lineup is as follows:

Read the rest of this story at 1UP: "Nintendo Updates Wii Fit Launch Plans"

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165485

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2250126,00.asp

LOL that is one thing about the wii that I like. It helps you stay fit! :D

LOL that is one thing about the wii that I like. It helps you stay fit! :D

I doubt the wii would keep you fit. Guess some people believe or conform according to nintendo's lies.

Have you ever played the wii at a good competition level or with the boxing and other games that you have to use all your body? You work up a good sweat. And if you are moving you are burning calories. The more you move the more calories you will burn. So yeah I think it helps you stay fit.

Edited by Zar

He's right, if you play the boxing and/or tennis for an hour or two, you'll definitely feel it in your arms...and while it may not be the same as going to the gym, it's more constructive than sitting there and being completely inactive. It may just be a little bit, but fitness isn't really dependent on doing a lot at once. Most people are better off doing a little at a time, and doing it more often over an extended period of time. Besides...have you seen Wii Fit? I didn't see it until just a few minutes ago, but it uses a pressure-sensitive board and leads people through aerobics and yoga(which gives you a stronger core)...I don't care if it's a video game that's leading you through those things, they can be hard. And a strong core is important.

And I'm pretty sure being anti-nintendo makes you a bad person.

Well Wii is fun but it so doesnt make you fit maybe if the controllers had weights on them then yeah maybe. but why play Wii tenis when u can play something that really gets you fit. and of course "gamers" would feel the burn because they dont do sports

Edited by Speedskater

Me lol, but seriously a Wii is not a workout if your feeling pain when playing a game thats sad in my opinion. and Gamers meaning people who hardly get outside. i do give credit to Wii for being more active but a video game is still a video game. also i believe most of these sports games on wii takes no real talent or strategy. its almost like saying Burger King is healthy. and i just did some research playing about an hour of Wii can burn up to around 150 calories(around max). sure it burns 50% more then xbox but wow thats an achievment. but hey maybe if you go all out u can burn around 150 calories in 30 minutes compared to a real work out that can easly go past 1000 calories in an hour

Edited by Speedskater

easily?...i think you're using the term a bit too loosely here...for the sake of an average-ish weight, let's just use 170 here. a 170-lb person doing these activities for 60 minutes should be somewhere around this many calories(you can find the calculator linked from sportsmedicine.com):

Bicycling: 1233...mind you, this is at a speed of 20+ mph, when you have no draft(this is approx. the same pace that Lance Armstrong averages when he goes on 5-6 hour endurance rides to train)

Bicycling, stationary, 250W, VERY VIGOROUS EFFORT: 963

Weight lifting(free weights...power lifting/body building): 462

Running: 1233...that's assuming you're running 10mph the whole hour...that's a 6-minute mile...for 10 miles...

Swimming laps(fast, freestyle, vigorous effort): 771...

Skating(speed, competitive)...just in case you don't relate to the others...1156 calories/hour(never done it, but i doubt this one falls into "easy" either)

as for your research, that may be accurate for some people, but others have had differing results.

http://www.docshop.com/2007/12/11/nintendo...-loss-solution/

Calories Burned per Hour

Elliptical Machine

Treadmill - Running 6mph

Stationary Bike

Treadmill - Walking 3.5 mph with Incline of 10

Wii Boxing

Wii Tennis

Walking during Lunch Hour

Wii Bowling

(The above chart of calories burned per hour was compiled using equipment that tracked calories burned based on heart rate, weight, and physical exertion used during activity.)

There are other articles floating around with people with similar or better results. They're easy to find(and I'm sure it's just as easy to find articles that say the opposite). Just like most other things, the results aren't necessarily gonna be the same for everyone...the same thing doesn't always work for different people. Obviously the Wii won't replace going to the gym. But apparently it can still be beneficial on a measurable level to some people. Also, keep in mind that not everyone who gets a wii is a kid with tons of energy. There are a lot of middle-aged and old people who've bought them too. What may not be a workout for you, could be totally beneficial to some elderly folk(http://cw11tv.trb.com/news/kplr-news-110807-16,0,632966.story).

Edited by blight

I'm starting to like this blight guy.

For older people this will help you Stay more fit than if you were to not do anything at all. Obviously the younger you are the less beneficial Wii fit-or the Wii in general will be. But no matter how you put it, you can't deny the Wii is "better for you" than any other console.

Well then I guess there are quite a few members of the medical community that are fuckheads. Next time you need your doctor to fill out a prescription, say, "hey, you know what? you're a fuckhead."...see how far it gets you.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGui...0786&page=1

Or if you ever need life-saving surgery, tell your surgeon, "hey, you're a fuckhead."

Maybe you should save the closed-minded blanket statements until after you have a medical degree?

Magical-Trever my mum is a nurse so she can take care of me well

loled.jpg

you might give information for hard going athletes but even on a lower level its burning more then you playing Wii and who says you have to be going that fast or hard. its just a fact that doing a REAL sport will get you farther then playing wii. even in your own research is saying the samething i am. and most sites that do talk about burning calories they would say Sports>Wii. besides i only researched like 2 minutes if i really wanted to go into the deep end of this i would but its pointless because sports is better then Wii

Edited by Speedskater

the statistics/research i posted about the hardgoing athletes...that portion wasn't actually so much in regards to the wii debate...that part was really to show you your exaggeration of the word "easily"...when you said that "other [workouts] that can easily go past 1000 calories in an hour"...the part about the real athletes was to show you that there is nothing easy about 1000 calories in an hour unless it's during liposuction...in fact, showing the info for hardgoing athletes is what really emphasized that point i was trying to convey...

and I think you're misunderstanding...none of us said it was better than playing a sport in real life...in fact, i said quite the opposite "Obviously the Wii won't replace going to the gym"...(although, on a side note, if you've watched the Wii Fit video, you'll see it leading a guy through yoga...a hard hour of fitness yoga can burn more than 1000 calories in an hour...that's more than a spin class...not really pertinent to the discussion, because i don't think it's that different from putting in a workout tape, just throwing it out there)

what we're saying is that it's beneficial on a measurable level...for at least some of the population that plays it...not that it's better than, or even equivalent to real workouts in a real environment...but that it can be helpful to some people, and that it's physically more beneficial than most other consoles.(i'd hafta say that track and field on the NES wouldn't be bad, either). there are some fitness factors i think you're totally overlooking:

1) not everyone is trying to burn that many calories. in fact, some people shouldn't burn that many calories. take, for example, my grandmother. she doesn't eat very much...and she's old...burning 1000 calories in an hour...if she did that on a regular basis i think it'd kill her. a few hundred calories at a time isn't a bad way to go...and if a few hundred is all you want/need at once, why not get them while playing a video game?

2) working out 2-3 times a day, even if it's a very light workout, can still help raise your metabolism, even if the workout itself doesn't burn a ton of calories...

3) the fact that it's obviously less intense than real sports could actually be better for some people...some old lady with bad joints doesn't need to be out playing football or soccer...why do you think old people do waterobics, or usually won't play tennis unless it's on a clay court?

4) not everyone has the attention span to work out for real(i'd imagine this is true for a lot of people)...my local OMNI has made that quite clear. the one i go to just added a few flat screens even to the free weight area...and now every cardio machine has it's own LCD tv with knology(including HBO and Shotime)...there's even plasma screen in the locker room, so nobody will get bored while changing clothes...sure enough, it's a lot easier to do an hour or two of cardio when you're watching Scrubs

The fact is, you're still looking at the Wii from a gamer's perspective...which makes sense, since that's what most consoles are made for...but the Wii isn't limited to that...it crosses a much wider spectrum of users than other systems have in the past...personally, I just have one cuz I like it, I'm not gonna use the Wii to try and stay fit, I go to the gym enough that it wouldn't be a worthwhile venture...but that doesn't mean that other people can't benefit from it. And if you read the article I mentioned before(http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGui...0786&page=1), you'll see that it can help with other things as well. "Kanav Kahol and Marshall Smith of the Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center in Phoenix, Arizona, have found that surgical residents performed better during simulated surgery after playing on the Wii console."

Edited by blight

oh so thats what you where trying to get at in that case you've made good points

Edited by Speedskater