Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Death Of The Father?

Death of the father: British scientists discover how to turn women's bone marrow into sperm

British scientists are ready to turn female bone marrow into sperm, cutting men out of the process of creating life.

The breakthrough paves the way for lesbian couples to have children that are biologically their own.

Gay men could follow suit by using the technique to make eggs from male bone marrow.

Researchers at Newcastle upon Tyne University say their technique will help lead to new treatments for infertility.

But critics warn that it sidelines men and raises the prospect of babies being born through entirely artificial means.

The research centres around stem cells - the body's 'mother' cells which can turn into any other type of cell.

According to New Scientist magazine, the scientists want to take stem cells from a woman donor's bone marrow and transform them into sperm through the use of special chemicals and vitamins.

Newcastle professor Karim Nayernia has applied for permission to carry out the work and is ready to start the experiments within two months.

The biologist, who pioneered the technique with mice, believes early- stage 'female sperm' could be produced inside two years. Mature sperm capable of fertilising eggs might take three more years.

Early-stage sperm have already been produced from male bone marrow.

Taking stem cells from an adult donor - possibly a cancer patient - removes the ethical problems associated with using embryos.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1965

There's more stuff on his click the link..

I think that babies should be made the natural way...

I've heard of something similar...where they were taking eggs and converting them into sperm or sumthin like that...I suppose this is more innovative though, since it can go both ways.

But it just seems like a bad idea.

Actually, the whole thing is stupid, when you think about it. Cuz you know, when there are water shortages in an area, they restrict water usage(you can only water your yard on certain days and such)...but when there are 200+ million orphans in the world, we're gonna sit here and find more ways for more people to have kids. Not that I'm a fanatic/activist for any particular cause or whatever...I just think things like this are a waste of good scientists that could've worked toward like curing cancer or sumthin like that.

[Edit] And I agree with Jezzy.

Edited by blight

Now all they need is to be able to turn sperm into bone marrow

If I find out they can turn sperm into bone marrow, I'm never getting a bone marrow transplant if I ever needed it because it may come from sperm donors. Eff that.

Agreed...

Although if that were the case, they could probably just use your sperm instead of a stranger's.

That's pretty cool, in my opinion. You can create life from a biological-originated lifeless thing, that's just sexy. But you cannot just use your own sperm unless you put it down 5 years before it, and I don't think such a process would be reversible.

You can create life from a biological-originated lifeless thing, that's just sexy

I can agree that it's cool on that level, though I dunno if this would be classified as "creating life."

But I still don't like the applications they're using it for. I just don't think that a woman should get pregnant from another woman. And I certainly don't think a dude should be able to impregnate a dude. There's just this huge part of my mind that thinks that, for whatever reason, that child is gonna have some serious issues.

Also, I think if they're gonna bastardize human genes, it should be for more interesting applications than same-sex birth...like the genome project in Metal Gear Solid...or changing peoples' physical attributes. Pretty much anything other than this would be better, I think.

Edited by blight

haha the product of this = a real bastard.

lol or the mom is the dad too ahaha..

but damn man this shit is crazy, i dunno if the sperm will be able to penitrate the egg and actually become a real baby after 9 months.. lol if that works.. i bet they could learn how to substite something for the bone marrow and then make 100% artifital humans... lol then grow army babies. lmao

This world is going to hell.......