Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Proofs

I solved this proof earlier today. Just wondering how many people can solve proofs. Its not entirely difficult, just thought I\'d post it.

Note: Ill post the solution in a few hours. You guys have about 2-4 hours to attempt this proof. After this duration is over, the solution will be provided aside from the question.

Forgot to add something: Prove AE= 5Q/3

========================================================

Alright, time is up. The solution will be displayed along with a video in how to explain the procedure.

(For some strange odd reason, I can't post youtube videos on here :)

post-7227-1202842075_thumb.jpg

post-7227-1202850756_thumb.jpg

Edited by Protoman

I din't get it,

honestly, i din't understand a shit of it,

LOL ^

haha i don't even remember what proofs are. refresh my memory?

though the questions themselves look like you just hafta determine the relative distances between the segments they ask for in terms of W and Q.

though the questions themselves look like you just hafta determine the relative distances between the segments they ask for in terms of W and Q.

lol, seems like you guys are having fun. Proofs are basically statements followed by reasons that support your statements. Some reasons are mostly based off of properties, theorems, and postulates. I would love to help you guys, but the time duration hasn't passed. :)

I'm not sure. I don't know what the question is. All I see is that the line is given, and that different line lengths are given. But I don't know what to do with them, because it doesn't state anything about it at all.

I'm not sure. I don't know what the question is. All I see is that the line is given, and that different line lengths are given. But I don't know what to do with them, because it doesn't state anything about it at all.

You have to draw out the diagram and then proceed on with the proofs. In order to solve this problem, you have to visually exhibit it.

well if i had to guess...

A-B-C-D--E

which would mean that W=1 and Q=3. which would mean that DE=2W and AE=5W, and that AB=1/3Q and AE=5/3Q.

a) DE=2 AE=5

:) AB=1/3 AE=5/3

i dunno if it's that simple, but it's my best guess based on the proportions of the segments involved.

I seem to remember hating proofs. they were tedious and pointless, if i remember correctly. course, to be fair, i felt that way about a lot of school :-P

well if i had to guess...

A-B-C-D--E

which would mean that W=1 and Q=3. which would mean that DE=2W and AE=5W, and that AB=1/3Q and AE=5/3Q.

a) DE=2 AE=5

:) AB=1/3 AE=5/3

i dunno if it's that simple, but it's my best guess based on the proportions of the segments involved.

I seem to remember hating proofs. they were tedious and pointless, if i remember correctly. course, to be fair, i felt that way about a lot of school :-P

Sorry, forgot to add something. You have to prove AE= 5Q/3

Proofs are kind of hard, but you get use to them. But the answer you've provided is wrong though :)

Edited by Protoman

haha i thought i did...maybe that's why i didn't like proofs

do you mean algebraically prove it? cuz throwing out proportions of segments all day is no big thing, i just dunno how to word it.

bytheway i'm pretty sure you won't ever use proofs again after this class. i haven't used them since high school...what course is this?

haha i thought i did...maybe that's why i didn't like proofs

do you mean algebraically prove it? cuz throwing out proportions of segments all day is no big thing, i just dunno how to word it.

bytheway i'm pretty sure you won't ever use proofs again after this class. i haven't used them since high school...what course is this?

The curriculum is Geometry Honors. :)

Your probably right though, I might not use proofs in the future. You have to first draw the diagram and then pertain it with the proofs.

Edited by Protoman

i hate when they have stuff that could easily be done another way, but they make it so you hafta put it in a particular format. it could be so much more straightforward than it is.

don't think we ever did proofs in my geometry class. i think it was AlgebraII for me...

but yah, they never told us what good they are. and i haven't used them in a single math class since like the 10th grade or sumthin like that. gotta love all the pointless junk they teach along with the useful stuff...you know, the stuff that you only learn in case you one day have to teach it to someone else? dumb cycle.

Edited by blight

i hate when they have stuff that could easily be done another way, but they make it so you hafta put it in a particular format. it could be so much more straightforward than it is.

don't think we ever did proofs in my geometry class. i think it was AlgebraII for me...

but yah, they never told us what good they are. and i haven't used them in a single math class since like the 10th grade or sumthin like that. gotta love all the pointless junk they teach along with the useful stuff...you know, the stuff that you only learn in case you one day have to teach it to someone else? dumb cycle.

I know what you mean, it is a retarded cycle. Is Zhuinden still trying to solve this problem?

No, I said screw it I haven't learnt how to do stuff like this yet, and it's more time than it's worth ^^

No, I said screw it I haven't learnt how to do stuff like this yet, and it's more time than it's worth ^^

LMAO. Well, I'm going to post the answer in about 15-20 minutes.

I used to do that a long time ago.. My brother can do it.

No ghozt... Your brother did your math for you!! Any way good luck with that....

No ghozt... Your brother did your math for you!! Any way good luck with that....

Not all of it.. >.>

I'll probably post more math problems in the future. I don't think I'll be posting any more proofs any time soon though ^_^

Edited by Protoman

Wasn't sure if you were feeling up to it so I thought I would just post this and see if you could solve it:

1. Under certain conditions the result of the movement of a dissolved substance across a cell's membrane is described by the equation:

dy/dt=k(A/V)(c-y)

y is the concentration of the suibstance inside the cell, (dy/dt) is the rate at which y changes over time. The letters k, A, V, and c stand for constants, k being the permeability coefficient (a property of the membrane), A the surface area of the membrane, V the cell's volume, and c the concentration of the substance outside the cell. The equation says that the rate at which the concetration changes within the cell is proportional to the difference between it and the outside concentration.

With this information you should be able to solve for the equation of y(t) using y0= y(0) (that us supposed to be y at the initial time of 0 is equal to y when the equations variable is substituted with 0).

That problem should only take a couple of min, or if u want an easier one you could go for this one:

2. The intensity L(x) of feet light x feet beneath the surface of the ocean satisfies the differential equation:

d(L)/d(x)=-kL

where k is a constant. As a diver you know from experience that diving to 18 feet in the caribbean sea cuts the intensity of the light in half. You cannot work without artificial light when the intensity falls below a tenth of the surface value. About how deep can you expect to work without artificial light.

The second one is alot easier, for those who want to try it think calculus and use derivatives based along the properties of exponential growth and decay.

^_^ Take THAT Protoman.

lol derivatives. weird seein all this old math pop up on Ghoztcraft. i haven't seen those since applied calc.

man calc is boring as crap. trig is way better.

I cant stand trig, it bothers me. I enjoy calc because it is easy, kind of the oposite from you i guess, lol.

You could always try and solve it, I called XGhozt and he didnt even bother to try, lol, how boring.

Proofs are easy. Try 3rd year college calc.

Edited by Zar

meh, college calc isn't that bad if you have a halfway decent attention span. i was in calc like my 3rd semester of school and didn't realize how boring that particular professor was til i was already in there. my attention span is already crap and he didn't help at all. you know, the kind that makes math jokes and then laugh outloud at their own joke, since nobody else is? i'd always start out fine, he'd get through the first couple steps of whatever problem, then i'd zone back in and he'd be like 4 steps ahead and i'm all wtf.

i later discovered ratemyprofessor.com...it's a necessity.

on the other hand, i know people who've gone through like calc 4 and calc 5...i don't think i'd wanna go anywhere near it.

Edited by blight