Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

How To Play Custom Maps In Portal

Download Maps: http://www.Ghoztcraft.net/forums/index.php...&cat_id=115

After opening the .zip file you should take a look at the content of the archive.

If it contains a .bmz file the installation is really easy. Extract the file and follow these steps:

1. Launch Portal

2. Select "BONUS MAPS"

3. Click the "Import Bonus Maps..." button

4. Browse to the directory where you extracted the .bmz file to, select it and click "Open".

This is what the window should look like:

portal_tut01.jpg

If it doesn't contain a .bmz file you will have to install it manually. .bsp files belong into the portal/maps directory. The full path probably looks like this:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\your account\portal\portal\maps\test.bsb

Usually the map archives come with their own directory structure - it should really be obvious if you have any clue.

So now there are two possibilities. If the map came with a BNS file it will show up in the Bonus Maps menu of Portal and you can load it properly from there. If the mapper was lazy you will have to do the following:

1. Go to Steam -> My Games, right click on Portal and select Properties.

2. Select "Set launch options...", enter "-console" (without the quotes obviously) and click "OK".

3. Launch portal, hit the `/~ key to bring up the console (this is the key to the left of the "1" for me) and type "map [map you want to play]". So if the map was called "test.bsp" you would type "map test" and hit enter to play it.

That's it.

If it came with a BNS file you can just play them using the Bonus Maps menu as you can see in the following picture:

portal_tut02.jpg

Enjoy!

That's cool thanks for the tip.

But how do you make your own custom map?

I don't know, if you figure it out post a new topic.. lol

thats really simple... i was looking for folders >.>

To make a Map, you need the Valve Hammer. A tool that helps create game eninvironment that your player model can run around within.

I just played it for xbox, fell in love, I would love to try this....But i Need to buy it for COMP.

You played portal on the XBOX . . . ? I didn't know you could.