Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Valve Wants Free Dlc

Valve Wants Free DLC - How Say You Microsoft and Sony?

Way back in the year of two thousand and seven, May 22, Eurogamer had put a quote that I remember quite well, coming from Team Fortress 2 designer Robin Walker on the issue of paying for new maps in the game:”You buy the product, you get the content. We make more money because more people buy it, not because we try and nickel-and-dime the same customers.”

This was well before the game was released and was a forgotten quote up until today, where the issue of paying for additional content doesn’t come up often, as it seems people are just okay with it now in days. Well, people who aren’t PC gamers. Even I was against it at first, having waited for all the Halo 2 maps to be free before I was able to jump back into matchmaking, I was very stubborn. Now I have quickly bought up 4 Rock Band tracks in the past few weeks (and I still haven’t even beat the game and unlocked all the songs that I have on the disc). This doesn’t mean that I don’t see the value of free content from a consumer point of view, it makes me really want to do business again with whomever would offer such things to me, easily.

This brings us back to Team Fortress 2 and Valve. With a new map pack finally coming soon, the talk of price has come up, and so that Eurogamer quote is now relavant. Kotaku contacted Valve, where the VP of marketing, Doug Lombardi, has not only kept the same mindset of having the content free, but left with this very bold statement, “The platform holder owns the final call.”

I think one can only say.. BAM! Eat that Microsoft and Sony! With this news coming on the weekend, I would expect no official response on the matter until Monday (if at all), but still it ensures that all us gamers, whether we are fans of Valve or not, are able to see who really is making us all pay for horse armor. I think we can all recall Epic stating that Gears of War DLC would be free, but when it showed up, it seems Microsoft tacked on a cost to get it. Now I am going to bet this is going to fall on what will Sony do first, then Microsoft will follow, as if it was up to Microsoft, you know we would be downloading this only after saving our lunch money for a few days.

Source(s): http://www.bingegamer.net/index.php/valve-...osoft-and-sony/