Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Supreme Court Overturns Gay Marriage Ban

California Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban

SAN FRANCISCO -- -- The California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage Thursday in a broadly worded decision that would invalidate virtually any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation.

The 4-3 ruling declared that the state Constitution protects a fundamental "right to marry" that extends equally to same-sex couples. It tossed a highly emotional issue into the election year while opening the way for tens of thousands of gay people to wed in California, starting as early as mid-June.

The majority opinion, by Chief Justice Ronald M. George, declared that any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation will from this point on be constitutionally suspect in California in the same way as laws that discriminate by race or gender, making the state's high court the first in the nation to adopt such a stringent standard.

The decision was a bold surprise from a moderately conservative, Republican-dominated court that legal scholars have long dubbed "cautious," and experts said it was likely to influence other courts around the country.

But the scope of the court's decision could be thrown into question by an initiative already heading toward the November ballot. The initiative would amend the state Constitution to prohibit same-sex unions.

Source(s): http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/f...0,6169783.story

Gallery: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/f...gallery?index=1

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i just saw this on the news too... WTF is going on........

The California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage Thursday in a broadly worded decision that would invalidate virtually any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation.

So, what's next, anyone want to marry your dog? shit.. The meaning of marriage is going to be completely degraded.

Eh, let them do what they want. It doesn't bother me any.

The California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage Thursday in a broadly worded decision that would invalidate virtually any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation.

So, what's next, anyone want to marry your dog? shit.. The meaning of marriage is going to be completely degraded.

Why do you care whether or not lesbians/gays can have marriage? They're still human. It has nothing to do with bestiality.

no it won't marriage ain't the special anyways the only thing that happens is you don't have sex after you get married =P

and i think its a step forward for California hell like what 30, 40 years ago it was illegal to marry inter racially and if you were gay in your own home you could be arrested thats degradeing to america the so called land of the free...

Why do people act like gay marriage is such a huge deal? Let people live how they want as long as it's not a destructive life style.

You're saying the relationship between a man and a woman can't ever be the same between two men or two woman? It's really the same as saying that you're not allowed to marry some one outside of your race. If anything is ruining the sanctity it's certainly not couples of the same sex that still love each other. To compare the relationship between two men is equivalent to that of a man and dog is so very degrading and inappropriate. A dog doesn't have the intellectual capacity to requite the love that people can give. A dog can't consent or ever fully understand marriage.

Put very simply; it should be illegal to discriminate based on sexual orientation when comes to marriage. It's still discrimination regardless of how homophobic you may be. It's just as bad as discriminating because of some one's race.

Is there any reason people of the same sex shouldn't be allowed to marry?

Marriage has very little to do with love anymore.....

Marriage is 2.5 kids , 1 and 1/2 jobs, a house, and raising a new generation of consumers.

Seeing as how gay/lesbian couples can not conceive children, I see no reason for them to wed.

I'm all for gay/lesbian relationships, I don't really care what you do, but Marriage is meant to be a bond between a woman and a man, as well as a contract build the next generation.

Marriage is 2.5 kids , 1 and 1/2 jobs, a house, and raising a new generation of consumers.

Seeing as how gay/lesbian couples can not conceive children, I see no reason for them to wed.

I'm all for gay/lesbian relationships, I don't really care what you do, but Marriage is meant to be a bond between a woman and a man, as well as a contract build the next generation.

Using that logic any man or woman who is infertile shouldn't ever be allowed to marry.

Says who? I'm sure in some dictionaries where the definition may have been written by a narrow-minded person it may say that but even if so, the definitions of words change over time. The change of this definition is something that would be for the better.

The goverment shouldn't interfere with your personal life.

This is a free country; not a country where the goverment tells you what to do.

Hm. Well personally I disagree with it, but there are lots of things that other people do that I'm sure we all disagree with, so I don't see any reason to focus on this sorta thing more than everything else...and whether or not they do it isn't really any of my business until they ask me what I think of it. Course, even if it was up to me, marriage has been degraded so much already that it's hard to say if it'll really make a significant difference.

I'm curious though, about this: "But the scope of the court's decision could be thrown into question by an initiative already heading toward the November ballot. The initiative would amend the state Constitution to prohibit same-sex unions." That's in November, but the marriages can start in mid-June. That's 4.5 months of potential marriages. I wonder, if someone gets a gay marriage in that window, and then they pass that initiative to ban same-sex unions...what happens then? Would it just be like, the ones who got married in time are the only ones who can? Or do you think they will simply annul said marriages?

Why do people act like gay marriage is such a huge deal? Let people live how they want as long as it's not a destructive life style.

You're saying the relationship between a man and a woman can't ever be the same between two men or two woman? It's really the same as saying that you're not allowed to marry some one outside of your race. If anything is ruining the sanctity it's certainly not couples of the same sex that still love each other. To compare the relationship between two men is equivalent to that of a man and dog is so very degrading and inappropriate. A dog doesn't have the intellectual capacity to requite the love that people can give. A dog can't consent or ever fully understand marriage.

Put very simply; it should be illegal to discriminate based on sexual orientation when comes to marriage. It's still discrimination regardless of how homophobic you may be. It's just as bad as discriminating because of some one's race.

Is there any reason people of the same sex shouldn't be allowed to marry?

The goverment shouldn't interfere with your personal life.

This is a free country; not a country where the goverment tells you what to do.

yeah! im with poply on this XD

ohh nd if straight people get to get married in vegas drunk off there ass nd fuck up their lives shouldnt gays/lesbians/bi sexual have the same chance?

I agree that marriage has a lot less to do w/ love now...it's been mostly turned into just a legal status. But while I disagree w/ the whole homosexuality deal personally, I don't think that marriage can be based on whether or not conception is possible. If that were the case, it'd only be fair to also have conception be tied to marriage...like, you can't have a child legally unless you're wed...which would be very difficult to enforce legally. And we all know that any random jackass is allowed to have children, so that scenario wouldn't work out very well.

"ohh nd if straight people get to get married in vegas drunk off there ass nd fuck up their lives shouldnt gays/lesbians/bi sexual have the same chance?"

Oddly enough, I think you've got a pretty solid argument right there.

Edited by blight

I'm more aiming toward a scenario such as..

I could see two women who are really close friends just getting married for the benefits from the government. Living together and doing whatever they want. Marriage used to be something where two people, man and women, united forever bleh bleh, it's right in the bible. There's a reason it took half of America to get this law anywhere in the first place..

I'm not saying I necessarily care that gay's get married. I've got my fair share of gay/bi friends, they're awesome and fun to be around. But the way that law was worded I find ridicules! I give this about 4 months before they try to overturn this.. again.

And, on that note. I live in California and close to San Fransisco. You try and tell me what gay's are doing doesn't effect you when you walk down your high school hall and see two 15 year old boys sucking each others face off. So disgusting, makes you want to walk the long way to period 4.

Yah, but so many people sit around on their asses doing nothing but watch soap operas and Nascar all day, making sure they stay poor enough that they can stay on welfare and not do anything. So while you have a good point, I think that two women getting married for tax breaks is little to be concerned about, in comparison.

What ever the bible says and the government does should have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Marriage being degraded is a personal opinion but I can see how one would think that. I believe if we went back to the original idea of it being a symbol of love for one another and there commitment to each other, I don't see why they couldn't be married.

I believe that when it comes down to a person's disgust of the very idea of two people of the same sex having a relationship, they will try to make it harder for them to get equal rights. Even when it has nothing to do with them or even effect them in the slightest.

and about the tax thing.... people get married for the tax break anyways regardless if they are straight or gay

Edited by Fc3sZero

What ever the bible says and the government does should have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

You obviously have a limited view of how the US Government works then.

I heard about this the other day in the car with my dad on the way home from work. It was hella funny. My dad was like "We have a fagfest now they can marry. What is this stupid fucking shit? But the women that's pretty cool." And I was like uhh dad.. you're married. It was hella funny though.

And, on that note. I live in California and close to San Fransisco. You try and tell me what gay's are doing doesn't effect you when you walk down your high school hall and see two 15 year old boys sucking each others face off. So disgusting, makes you want to walk the long way to period 4.

Lol at that, I live 30 minutes from San Fran and that two guys sucking face is sickening but the girl on girl is hot, but then again look at it from a girls point of view, two chick = gross and two guys = hot to them.. Same shit different day. Everyone has their views, shit happens ;)

Yeah, the US Government was supposedly founded by the bible. They signed in with their hand on it, etc.. The 21st century has completely destroyed this, and I'm not saying I really care. But just to counter your statement; they actually have a lot in common, or at least.. at one point, they did. ;)

I could see two women who are really close friends just getting married for the benefits from the government. Living together and doing whatever they want. Marriage used to be something where two people, man and women, united forever bleh bleh, it's right in the bible. There's a reason it took half of America to get this law anywhere in the first place..

I'm not saying I necessarily care that gay's get married. I've got my fair share of gay/bi friends, they're awesome and fun to be around. But the way that law was worded I find ridicules! I give this about 4 months before they try to overturn this.. again.

dude...

its not the big of a deal seeing to guys making out

actually its kinda hott but anyways...

the bibles not always right its more like guidelines that "Christians" try to follow

if you ask me catholics are better cuz they do whatever they want and all they have to do is go to confessionals once a week nd they go to heaven how fucking easy is that especially when theres no solid prove that there even is a heaven XD

as long as your not a 8 year old little boy catholics are great =P

and i think living in cali is the best place cuz most people tend to be pretty open about sexual preference

just think where would we be if the hippies never did what they did it would be one sad sad sad little world

Yeah, the US Government was supposedly founded by the bible. They signed in with their hand on it, etc.. The 21st century has completely destroyed this, and I'm not saying I really care. But just to counter your statement; they actually have a lot in common, or at least.. at one point, they did. ;)

Absolutely no idea where you got this idea from. I and you already had a huge conversation about this along time ago. If you remember the Treaty of Tripoli, passed both by congress and the president, it specifically says, "As the Government of the United States, is not in any sense, founded on the Christian religion".

To say some one can't do something because it violates your religious beliefs is extremely selfish and narrow-minded.

The bible really shouldn't have any influence on this law because people aren't all Christians.

I realize you may not enjoy seeing men making out with each other, but now it seems like you'd do anything to not see it again. You say it's disgusting to see two boys kissing. Some one may find seeing any two people making out to be disgusting, but they certainly don't think that all marriage should be disallowed because of that so neither should you.

*off topic*hey poply can i get a fan tag??

"The bible really shouldn't have any influence on this law because people aren't all Christians."

and thxs you finally someone said it =P

...Why the hell would you care?

There's nothing wrong with gay/bi people, so why should they not to marry. Somebody brought up something about using marriage to leech off the benefits from the government... Dude, stop watching Hollywood films. Chuck and Larry is a COMEDY.

I could just as easily be disgusted by people smoking as two guys making out, but there's nothing you can do about it, so just look away and go on with your life.

Get over it, there's things that are much worse than gay marriage that you should be worrying about.

Okay whatever, lol.. So glad I'm not in high school anymore, and/or living in San Fran. Seriously though, I just read that they're going to try and overturn the overturn in a few months.

Readmore:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hZmLBrL...vB5hYwD90MTTT00

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...campaign_issue/

Like I said, I don't really care. I'm just saying, it's gross/weird/annoying.

I wonder if bisexual people will try and have it so they can marry one of each.

Bisexuals are so greedy.