Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Doomsday In 2012?

…when a calendar comes to the end of a cycle, it just rolls over into the next cycle. In our Western society, every year 31 December is followed, not by the End of the World, but by 1 January. So 13.0.0.0.0 in the Mayan calendar will be followed by 0.0.0.0.1 - or good-ol' 22 December 2012, with only a few shopping days left to Christmas." - Excerpt from Dr Karl's

Except our calendar is based on the way and path of revolving around the Sun and not by some huge number that might have a lot deeper meaning.

OK so its a calender that ends at december 12 2012 or w/e. Does it say at the end of that, END OF THE WORLD!

I didn't think so. Just another one of those theories like the world ending jan 1st 2000. Bleh call me when something major is going to happen persay an astroid the size of the moon is going to crash into the earth or the sun is going to burn out.

The greek were a lot more awesome at that kind of stuff, why would we turn to two civilizations when one of them built themselves on that, the others don't know anything about their past at all, other than that they have been there for 5000 years?

Are you saying the Greeks were way better at building than the Romans and Egyptians? Whoever told you that made it up. The largest free-standing building the Greeks built was the Temple of Artemis, and it was only about 380 ft. long, and the columns that held it up were 60 ft., so i doubt if it was much taller than 100 ft. altogether. The Greeks couldn't build freestanding things on a huge level...their ampitheaters were carved into pre-existing landscape, such as hillsides. The largest Egyptian pyramid is 480 ft. tall. And The Romans could build huge free-standing buildings because they created concrete. The Colosseum seated about 50,000 people. And I turned to those two civilizations because you implied(perhaps unwittingly?) that a civilization's understanding of the world can be measured by their architectural prowess. So I simply turned to a couple other civilizations that, if we were going to measure in that sense, would be better examples of who to look to for knowledge.

I'm willing to put money down saying it's safe to say they probably only went that far because they figured they'd be dead by then. And if for some reason they where still around they'd just update it. A perfect example of this would be the upcoming 2038 big (much like y2k) where most old machines (like linux and win98) are not 2038 complaint (their clocks don't go that high). It doesn't mean they're going to explode, it just means they need an update.

So, with that said, I can't wait to the be the one who points at laughs at people who fall heads in over heals for the end of the world. It will be fuckin' awesome for anyone who's birthday is on that day.

/rant

It's a fact that we will be lined up with a black hole on that same time, the one in the center of our galaxy. Even if being lined up with a black hole had some strange effect, we wouldn't know for awhile because it wouldn't reach us.

Well they said something about the planets being inlined with our own and nothing happened then. Even tho a black hole is a much more dense than even are own sun, I doubt it would have much effect. Now that i think about it. Are we not always inlined with the Supermassive blackhole at the center of our own galaxy.

You guys hear about how our solar system bobs up and down exposing itself to the void becuase it's outside the galactic plane? How it's no longer protected by the mass of the galaxy? I read it recently but I forgot where. Think it was an article on universetoday.com.

Edited by Fc3sZero

well, we have GC, so.. I'm all set for the next 4 years :)

I don't believe this only god knows when the day is right. But its comeing so for all those who believes in god like me make the best of your lives.

It doesn't mean the world's gonna end in 2012 it means that a new cycle of life will begin, such as the human species getting wipped off the face of earth

No we arn't always aligned with our black hole...

You're all fucking retarded, judging mayans as "people who had a little knowledge of the universe". They knew so much but it was all burnt down by that fucktard Cortez in 1500 who fucked up America. I personally believe it might happen, even though it's not reassured and stuff. Saying they had no idea what they were talking about is kinda stupid.

The Mayans believed that the sun was a god. I generally consider any civilization that holds those ancient beliefs to have a fairly limited knowledge of our universe. However if you wish to continue calling me a "fucking retard" you can spend the rest of your time banned from the serious discussion section.

Honestly I don't know much about the Mayans so what I say shouldn't be taken as absolute truth.

what I say shouldn't be taken as absolute truth.

I think what ever anyone says should be taken as there opinion unless they have a official source for there statement. I think a decent argument for what someone says is a lot better than someone just spouting out insults.

Until the end of time I believe there will always been end of the world theories. Only thing that i now that is 100%, is the earth being taken out by the sun at the end of it's life cycle. Unless we find a way to replenish the sun's fuel source.

I believe their theory is retarded and people should just get on with their lives. I heard many people are actually quitting their jobs and preparing for the y2k crap. Some are actually preaching this non sense around the world. If this happens, then LP is not gay.

this is off topic, but proto why are you so god damn rude

the end of the world is something we can't predict on how it will happen. when it happens in god knows how long we will see, but by then we will of hopefully been able to have life on other planets.

maybe the mayan calender or somthing stoped at 2012 cause they got 2 lazy 2 finish it or somthing (dont mean no offence 1 any1)

I still wouldn't say they didn't know anything, because htat's just not true.

Perhaps we should read into predictions? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_predictions

Sometimes, predictions can be made, and they are followed out.

I agree though... If the world will end then, may as well live it up now. No point in quitting work and getting prepared. Although, you have to wonder why they didn't think ahead further than this date. Surely, there must be some reason why the calender just stops in 2012.

I mean, there is a reason why our calender only has 12 months... And why each has 30-31 and one has 28... There is a reason for everything. Now we need to figure out what that reason is...

The reason ours has 12 is actually pretty simple. Our calendar is a Gregorian calendar, which is a reform of the Julian calendar, which was a reform of the Roman calendar. The Roman calendar originally had 10 months in it...March was the first month because in Rome it is the first month of spring. So it went from March to December(the 5-10th months have obvious numerical prefixes). But that calendar lasted 301 days and there were about 64 days of winter not included in the calendar. Numa Pompilius added January and February around 713 B.C. At some point, Quintilis, the 5th month, was renamed after Julius Caesar because he was born in that month. The 6th month, Sextilis, was renamed for Augustus Caesar.

The days were originally 29 or 30 each month. It's theoried that this is because the average lunar cycle is 29.5 days. The numbers changed for some mathematical reasons that you can read about on wikipedia. February has 28 days because August originally had 29 days, but Augustus took 2 days from February and added them to August when it was renamed for him. Some details of these events seem to differ slightly, but not much.

You're right, there is a reason for everything. But sometimes those reasons aren't as significant as we may initially think they are, ya know?

The reason ours has 12 is actually pretty simple. Our calendar is a Gregorian calendar, which is a reform of the Julian calendar, which was a reform of the Roman calendar. The Roman calendar originally had 10 months in it...March was the first month because in Rome it is the first month of spring. So it went from March to December(the 5-10th months have obvious numerical prefixes). But that calendar lasted 301 days and there were about 64 days of winter not included in the calendar. Numa Pompilius added January and February around 713 B.C. At some point, Quintilis, the 5th month, was renamed after Julius Caesar because he was born in that month. The 6th month, Sextilis, was renamed for Augustus Caesar.

The days were originally 29 or 30 each month. It's theoried that this is because the average lunar cycle is 29.5 days. The numbers changed for some mathematical reasons that you can read about on wikipedia. February has 28 days because August originally had 29 days, but Augustus took 2 days from February and added them to August when it was renamed for him. Some details of these events seem to differ slightly, but not much.

You're right, there is a reason for everything. But sometimes those reasons aren't as significant as we may initially think they are, ya know?

It had to do with the kings... Thats why some have 31 and others have 30... I forget exactly why.

I still wouldn't say they didn't know anything, because htat's just not true.

Who ever said that?

I think he understood your comment a few days back as something along those lines.

How did we get on the topic of the Roman Calendar?

Anyway the strange thing about December 2012 is that alot of old calendars end on that date

How did we get on the topic of the Roman Calendar?

Anyway the strange thing about December 2012 is that alot of old calendars end on that date

It's because the someone, I think Proslasher, made a point about things being a certain way for a reason, even calendars. Then reference was made to the setup of our calendars, and the discussion derailed in that direction for a bit.

Well we're all gona die we might as well all die in 1 day