Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Private Servers: Bad News

A quote from BurningWow. The place I used to play.

We are sad to inform all the community here that we have been served with a DMCA notice and will be ceasing operation of the servers effective immediately.

As some of you may of noticed, a handful of other private servers have also been hit with this notice, so it is not just us and it is widespread. So far it seems isolated to the hosting provider being used by us and those other servers, but other servers may end up receiving the same notice as well.

We are not taking any chances and are going to be cooperative in this time, and will proceed with taking down all our WoW gaming realms. At this stage we have no intention of reviving the servers, as that would be potentially violating the conditions of the DMCA.

For donaters, if you donated just recently and haven't got your reward, contact us about it and we will look at refunding your money. Same will go for very recent donaters. Any longer standing donaters, sorry we will not be refunding that money as you have been using those rewards, and our donation terms clearly state we do not offer refunds, however in exceptional circumstances we will for a very limited range of people.

Sad to see things end this way and so quick, but it has to be done.

We will try to keep at least a main website up and possibly forums aswell running for the time being so you all can stay informed on the situation as it unfolds, and we will try to let everyone know if there are some changes.

For now, its time to say goodbye....:D

Take care and best wishes.

A lot of the major Private servers are down now.

I can't believe it took Blizzard this long to start cracking down.

Lol. Yeah I know right?

I wonder if there are gonna be SC closes too...

Although I only know of one Pserver other than GC...

Iccup.

Well, no one really cares about Starcraft servers, and it's not like we're making any money from it. I think the problem with the private servers who got shut down is that they took the liberty in monetizing them. Not to mention advertising the game server as their own. It encourages stealing the game, and because their online play isn't free.. it makes sense. This is also the reason why I never put one up.

But aside from that, I agree.. what took so long?

Yeah, I doubt they would even try shutting down Starcraft private servers since they're probably already losing money from starcraft and private servers don't really steal money from Blizzard in the way that WoW servers do.

I was hearing about Wowscape making a good amount of money of donations. They were also saying that the server owner was saying they were going to be back up soon just to suck a few more dollars out of people.

I figured that they couldn't shut down all the private servers. Anyone know of any that haven't been targeted?

Well, I was actually kind of planning on buying WoW next year when I get my new computer, but now that they're shutting down private servers, forget it.

The release of Wrath of the Lich King is what triggered the crack down. All mainstream private servers were in the process of upgrading their emulators to be compatible with the new expansion, and that would have taken A LOT of money from sales, and subscriptions.

Yeah that's what I thought, When Wotlk came out I was expecting Blizzard to start going after private servers, but did they do this for the 2nd expansion?

Haha lol thats funny.

If you look in the terms of agreement, you agree NOT to make money on anything blizzard maked ^_^

That means, all private servers where you donate, have been illegal for years ^_^

Make a profit or receive money? If it was illegal to "donate" I'm sure they would have changed it to "Give me $20 for a full set of t6 gear or kick down $30 for 100g" but they were pretty adamant about it being considered "donating"

But I don't fully understand the laws, so i'll take your word for it.

There is still private servers up but they are small and probably not as good as the big ones that were up.

The server i was playing on was thinking about adding Wotk but they said not to hold your breath. It would have been to difficult to implement along with the 3.0x patch. A lot of the other servers were no where near putting that in either since it would pretty much destabilize the whole thing.

i played the wotlk beta on private