Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Port Forwarding BS

OK so I've got a quick question. First off, I'm having trouble with port forwarding. Here's the problem -- I can't host games in Starcraft on my laptop. Now I know you have to forward (open) port 6112 and I've done that successfully already. So I can host games and people can join with no problem while I'm playing on my desktop. However, when I'm on my laptop users are unable to join the games I create. I don't understand why though if it's still the same port and I'm still using the same router. Any advice?

Because the local IP of the laptop and the desktop computer are different, therefore the port is forwarded to your desktop while you're playing on your laptop.

What zhuinden said

And if your laptop is on a wireless that's hooked to the same router that your pc is hooked to, that will cause latency problems as well even though the port is forwarded and firewalls turned off.

Agreed with Zar, you must use a Cable, not wireless. Even my computer is on a cable and that's why I have no lat issues.

I use my laptop, and on some private servers for starcraft, I can host fine.

Is the connection to your laptop wired or wireless?

Message me on AIM or MSN and I'll help you troubleshoot and fix it.

Yay, I've got it working now. Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it!

:'(

It was just a matter of correcting my static IP address. I had port 6112 opened on both UDP and TCP using the IP address 192.168.1.102. So I checked the properties on my network connection and I had 192.168.1.100 as my static IP. So I just switched 100 to 102. Kind of a dumb mistake actually. But the odd thing is that uTorrent said it's port was open even though I was using a different static IP address. But yeah, that's all I did to fix it.

o.0 thats odd...make sure your firewall is working properly