Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Michael Phelps smoked pot.

Yup.

"The Richland County Sheriff's Department is making an effort to determine if Mr. Phelps broke the law. If he did, he will be charged in the same manner as anyone else. The sheriff has a responsibility to be fair, to enforce the law and to not turn a blind eye because someone is a celebrity."

Phelps admitted "regrettable behavior" on Sunday after a British newspaper published a photograph of him smoking through a bong. The tabloid News of the World showed Phelps using the bong during what it said was a November party at the University of South Carolina, in Richland County.

Full Article

Glad some of his sponsors stripped their funding, and sponsorships.

He does not deserve them, he is a hero to most, including kids. What a shitty role model.

Yeah. If only there were more famous people actually worth being role models.

congrats on getting the mod position, and I heard about this about 3 weeks ago it seems.

I believe Phelps' mom is a staff member or something at a school, her students are going to think that it'll be okay to smoke now ;o.

Honestly I dont see how he got so damn big. I think people dont take "superstars" as serious as they do anymore. Its not a surprise look at all the britney lovers, paris lovers, Chris Benoit lovers. So its not a shock that he smoked some dope.

Fucking brainwashed tools.

There's nothing wrong with pot. Shit should just be legalized everywhere already.

Hmm, I don't think smoking a little pot is that bad. Almost everyone has tried pot, once or twice in their life. It's not like he was using steroids (that would be a different story). So I think they are flaming him for nothing.

Pot causes testicular cancer, next time you get high I hope its worth your nuts.

Before you claim bullshit do research then prove me wrong.

Pot causes testicular cancer, next time you get high I hope its worth your nuts.

Before you claim bullshit do research then prove me wrong.

This is true, but if you smoke pot once or twice in your life, you are not going to get cancer. And I think drinking is much worse, especially drunk driving, your not only killing yourself, but everyone else in the car with you.

That's what happens when you're a celebrity that's stupid enough to let people take pictures of you smoking weed.

Do I even need to list the health risks brought on by cigarettes, or Alcohol?

Or how about over the counter and prescription drugs?

Everything has a risk to it, but I say it's up to the person to decide if they want to take it, not the government (within reason, ie: DUI prosecution)

The incarceration and processing of Marijuanna based offenses alone is in the BILLIONS.

Everybody is fretting over the bailouts now when when billions have already been spent on a drug war that was lost a long time ago.

It doesn't take a genius to think about how much revenue pot could bring if it were legal.

Would you rather have the money go to the dealers, or honest working people? (not to mention with the high unemployment rate there will be plenty of people for the corporations to hire)

I'm not going to doubt that Marijuanna has some negative effects, but I believe the advantages it would create far outweigh the disadvantages.

People are going to get high weather it's legal or not, so why not create some jobs, bring in some cash, and take some cash away from dealers.

Stop gulping down what the media spoon feeds you and go see for yourself. It's not as bad as they say it is during "drug free week" at elementary school.

And just to debunk those who think it's a gateway drug, that's like saying beer is a gateway to moonshine.

And anything can be addicting to the weak, just look around and see all the addictions.

Just to clarify, I have done my research from stances on both sides.

If your interested look up The Last White Hope (it's on YouTube) and Super High Me

Haha.

Ohhhh...so that's why the world isn't being overrun by cats.

Every time you masturbate, god kills a kitten.

Every time you smoke a cigarrate, god make you get cancer.

Fixed.

Wow, I saw this and decided to post .. har har I have not done so in such a long time.

But it's fucking annoying how people are making a HUGE deal about this. Like honestly. The media needs to find better shit to entertain themselves with. Okay, so the guy does pot once. He shouldn't have to apologize. What is he famous for? Getting all those medals in swimming. If he did something that affected THAT, okay fine, let's make a big deal about it. But no - he did not do anything, as of right now, that would have affected his performance in the olympics be it a positive effect or a negative one.

He did pot. Big deal. Everyone does pot.

I can understand the role model issue, but it's the fucking media's fault, honestly. If the MEDIA did not make a big deal about it, kids would NEVER have found out, therefore they would not think that pot is a-okay. Before you start accusing PHELPS, take a good look at how people found this out.

If the media had just left his life alone, nobody would have made that big of a deal.

So you might say, what about the guy who took the pic? Couldn't he always put it online? But okay yeah. How many people really believe all the online stuff they see? With all the 4chan shit rolling around these days, meh. I mean THAT would be a possible way of getting kids to think that 'pot is okay'. But how long before the media sticks their asses in and makes a big deal over it? Seriously. His friends could have announced it all they want. People they tell would tell others and they'd tell others, and etc. It'd be a RUMOR, hard to believe. That'd be an ideal situation. However the media would stick their asses in, make a big headline about it, and all of a sudden it's a fact and the world believes it.

No Mr. Phelps. You do not need to apologize - you have nothing to apologize for.

This also kind of goes to 'ignorance is bliss'. Let's say I look up to one of my teachers because he's a great teacher, well educated, gets people to think abstractly. He could be doing pot, other drugs, be an alcoholic, have a messed up family - I have NO IDEA. But it would have to take someone authoritative [something like the media I guess, not saying that they can be trusted] to change my view. If I hear it from just another student, I'd just see it as a rumor.

Okay, I've ranted for long enough.

I hope I've managed to get my point across.

JUST MY TWO CENTS. I DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND ! :o

That's a very strong opinion. And you actually backed it up.

I think that the media's role in society is to inform the public about everything "important". Pot being illegal: Big deal. Michael Phelps was many people's hero, and so when the media found out, they coulda just been thinking about informing the public.

And it wasn't just once. I'm pretty sure I heard he did it in britain or somewhere there. Although it is legal there. . .

The media just like being in the celebrity world, anyone mildly famous cannot mess up, or it'll be shown. I don't think I know anybody famous that hasn't gotten in trouble with the media yet.

...I had a paragraph din the site said fuck you. so how do you think smoking pot in public is a good idea, didn't help that he won 8 gold medals, So he does need to say sorry for be an idiot.

Rdy2killz - that is completely true and I wholeheartedly agree.. well with the last bit.

The media does like getting in the celebrity business, and I think that's just well..wrong. However, that is a different story and discussion for another time! :o

It is true that the media should be there to inform, however I want to ask at what cost. If it's something small like pot [i'm not advocating it, Im just saying there are much larger crimes being committed every day that deserve more attention], does it really need to be exposed like that? And even more so, is it worth it to destroy an image of someone to get this news out there? Technically speaking, I guess, yeah what he did was illegal, but I dont think it's really worth it to 'inform'. More over, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the media exposed this and made a big deal out of this to earn a quick buck. I'm sure they're not stupid; they must have realized that they'd be destroying his image and they'd be responsible. Before the media exposed this, I'm pretty sure nobody knew about it, or it would have been a rumor if anyone heard of it - therefore nobody would know if it was true.

Sorry, I'm just going on and on. I hope my paragraph made some sort of sense!

Lieutenant Speedskater - Phelps did not do pot in public. As far as I know, he did it in some sort of living area - be it dorm, apartment, condo, home, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he did it in a private residence or living quarter. True, he was an idiot and should have known the ramifications, ESPECIALLY considering how famous he is. However, as far as I am concerned, what goes on in the living area stays in there. I apologize if the following is an invalid example, but when famous people have their 'pleasure' in their living area is that considered public?

Private residence [please someone clear this up for me - where did he actually do it ><] is .. private and not public.

I am assuming that he was under that impression as well and did not consider that those photos would be taken. Things I do in my private residence may not be a 'good' idea', but why should I have to worry about someone finding out what that private stuff is?

And okay Im not saying that the home is the ultimate privacy shell and nobody can search it. Search warrants exist, blah blah. If you have like thousands of pirated apps or mp3s and there is a search warrant issued, well then your privacy is ALLOWED to be invaded to an extent due to that warrant. So don't get the wrong impression - and yes, I know they are two different things.

This whole thing is ridiculous in my opinion >.> Load of rubbish caused by the media.

Glad some of his sponsors stripped their funding, and sponsorships.

He does not deserve them, he is a hero to most, including kids. What a shitty role model.

Oh give me a break. No kid has any idea who he is and he is certainly not kids' role model. Kids' already have role models who talk about killing cops, having anonymous sex, and doing every drug imaginable.

I don't care much for smoking pot (I've never done it) but this statement just stood out to me.

He's an amazing swimmer and to change your entire outlook on him based on what non-destructive activities he does in his private life is foolish.

That's a very strong opinion. And you actually backed it up.

I think that the media's role in society is to inform the public about everything "important". Pot being illegal: Big deal. Michael Phelps was many people's hero, and so when the media found out, they coulda just been thinking about informing the public.

And it wasn't just once. I'm pretty sure I heard he did it in britain or somewhere there. Although it is legal there. . .

The media just like being in the celebrity world, anyone mildly famous cannot mess up, or it'll be shown. I don't think I know anybody famous that hasn't gotten in trouble with the media yet.

It's illegal in the United Kingdom.

Yeah. If only there were more famous people actually worth being role models.

Gucci Mane is worth being my role model.

Sarcasm of course but I do like rap and do listen to his songs

i think its stupid that anyone cares... soo many ppl smoke pot some famous and some arent its not a big deal and besides there really isnt anything bad about pot besides a minimal damage to your lungs.. so people need 2 not make a big deal about it and leave him alone

Dude, you don't have to smoke it, so there can be no lung damage, and just to say pot has been linked with certain health issues. Not as many as the general public thinks, but there are few.

Dude, you don't have to smoke it, so there can be no lung damage, and just to say pot has been linked with certain health issues. Not as many as the general public thinks, but there are few.

yeah very few.. compared to ANY other drug even alchol and tobacco are way worse then some weed.. it is actually a prooven fact that marijuana has cancer preventing agents .. im not saying it cures cancer or anything and it doesnt completely prevent it but chances are if u dont do anything else but smoke/eat/drink or how ever u wanna do it that you most likely will not have a health issue or get cancer unless it it genetic or something of that sort.. and you close to NEVER hear of anyone dieing from a marijuana over dose if ever