Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

XP Auto Logs Off

I don't know what the hell this is.

Whenever my computer starts up and logs on my user, it immediately logs off.

My programs show nothing as spyware, registry, and system32 =

I've looked it up a lot of times because I get it quite often. I only ever find situations where Safe Mode doesn't work, but I can get in mine fine.

I've tried System Restore and it failed. New accounts don't work. Replacing userinit.exe doesn't work.

Restoring with the Windows CD doesn't work. The only foolproof solution I've found is reformatting and I'd rather avoid that.

There are no 'odd' things under Startup in msconfig.

I use Avast! Home edition for antivirus and I am fully up-to-date on XP updates.

Spyware Doctor and Exterminate It! show nothing.

Help anybody? D=

I've had a similar situation before. Does this happen with every user account, or just one? Try logging onto a different user account. Keep me updated x.x

Works on every user on normal log in.

But all are fine when in Safe Mode = I could never find something like that on Google because they could never get into safe mode.

I wanted to find a way to force it to require a password to log off, but that's apparently not possible >_>

And if it is, somebody tell me! >:D

Try booting in safe mode. Log in as Administrator and attempt to create a new user. Just copy over all your files to the "new user" and start over. That's the only solution I can think of off the top of my head.

But here, I found a bunch of other posts with people having the same problem:

Google Search: windows xp can't login logs me off

Yup, what XGhozt's solution what I had to do to solve the problem. For some reason, XP seems to occasionally corrupt all of the user profiles, and this happens :/

You could try backing up and restoring your user settings if they're important to you using the transfer settings wizard.