Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

I'm Merging to Ubuntu on my Desktop.

Well people.. I've been thinking about doing it for years. And I've always loved seeing compiz make everything look all awesome. And I finally did it. My desktop has a great nvidia video card for ubuntu. My wireless works, everything is working perfectly. I've still got a lot to learn though.. I just installed it on one of my other HD's on my desktop.

So far, I've got the basic necessities covered. Firefox (setup, synced, configured), thuinderbird, drivers, basic applications.. notepad++... dropbox.. jing.. a dock.. etc.. Once I get everything setup how I like it and I figure out how to do all this other shit, I will focus on getting the bigger applications. Like Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Flash. But ..oh and Pidgin, since that runs on Ubuntu that was really easy to copy over my plugins, chat logs and everything else.

Does anyone have any good applications or utilities I should check out? I've already got a theme setup.. sorta, not sure if I did it correctly. But so far everything seems to be coming along nicely. This OS is SO smooth on my desktop it's amazing. And, I plan on getting apache and mysql setup because I was running my local web server on my windows desktop..

Anyway, I just had to say it.. w00t :hi2:

What is Ubuntu? Sounds cool. Not good for my laptop though. It's a bit slow for some reason.

What is Ubuntu? Sounds cool. Not good for my laptop though. It's a bit slow for some reason.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ubuntu

I've messed with it a bit, FreeNX Server is a great RDC server if you're into the whole connect to home thing. OpenVPN works too if you like VPNs.

Or Hamachi for VPN, use it for my Windows and OSX systems at work/home. What i would like to find is a good RDP for linux that you can access from Windows RDC or Logmein, no other softwares.

I know I saw something that did it :/

Since Terminal doesn't cover all the basic Dos commands and you may need a couple, maybe you can play with DosBox. I'll either edit or post again if I can remember any of the other programs I used to get.

I absolutely love the flexibility I have now. And it makes my computer look and feel much more powerful than it does with XP. It boots faster, loads faster, uses less swap, less cpu.. And I can do 20 times as much at the same time than I can in my windows installation.

So far, I have yet to figure out how to get photoshop working though.. I'll figure it out eventually.

Yeah I'm sure there's some way to do it, but if all else fails doesn't ubuntu have support for running a virtual program of Windows with most likely another piece of software, and you can just use photoshop on that when you need although it may be a bit time consuming. Maybe I'll look into it a bit and I'll let you know what I find.

Edit:

I'm sure you may have run across these but just incase you haven't, take a look:

http://lifehacker.com/software/photoshop/h...untu-206827.php

http://luiscosio.com/how-to-adobe-photosho...ubuntu-10-steps

Although those are articles for Cs2.

from the apps thing get WINE, or an XP emulator.

There are ways you can emulate XP under Ubuntu using an existing XP installation but they're risky. :

You're best bet would be to open a virtual machine running XP and use that for photoshop and whatnot.

And I didn't like the terminal so I found that Konsole works pretty nice.(it's under the app get thing)

apt-get is sexy :)

Yeah, I've already got virtual box setup, I was hoping I could get it working with WINE though. Unfortunately, setup.exe wont run.. It just does nothing and then crashes. It's really annoying.

I've always wanted to try out Ubuntu.

If your laptop has Vista, and you think it's slow. Put on Ubuntu and I bet you'll see double or triple the boot speed and load time.

I tried photoshop CS 3 using wine and its not compatible how ever CS 2 works this was a (couple months ago. im also not sure about CS4 so don't ask) so i don't know they may have made some updates. Also dotnet framework doesn't work that well either so good luck with that....

So how is this Serious Discussion again? Someone tell me or move this thread to its appropriate place. Sheesh.

Photoshop and WINE dont work well together. If you want to use photoshop on ubuntu u might as well learn how to use gimp ( http://gimp.org ) at least i think that is the site. Most other Adobe products work well on Ubuntu through wine. if u really need Photoshop u could purchase crossover, google it. Lastly i like open-suse types of linuxes because i like rpm distributions more than deb packages.

I may be right behind you on this decision XGhozt.

Use open-suse or fedora even though ppl say fedora sucks its acually pretty good. Or best of all install a hackint0sh and laugh at apple for not letting u install macintoshes on normal comps

I actually tried getting Photoshop working, and I failed. I tried GIMP, and it sucks.. I mean, it doesn't suck, it's great for a free product. But I need my Photoshop working. My solution was to have it running on VirtualBox, and thankfully my desktop can easily handle it. And I'm not seeing any really quality degradation when running PS over VB..

You want PS u need Crossover. if you want ill upload crossover on zshare and post a link. And by the way the only reason ur version of gimp SUCKS is because u aint got no plugins. the more gimp plugins you have the more pwn it is

You want PS u need Crossover. if you want ill upload crossover on zshare and post a link. And by the way the only reason ur version of gimp SUCKS is because u aint got no plugins. the more gimp plugins you have the more pwn it is

Please do upload as this may be useful.

I wonder if i should because u have to pay for crossover; anyway ill need to find it on my 8gb flash drive. But first i need to find that flash drive

No actually I installed a good 15-20 plugins to make it feel more like photoshop.