Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Teen Wins Apple's Billion-App Contest

Teen Wins Apple's Billion-App Contest

The online store that offers third-party applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch has more than 35,000 applications available in 77 countries.

A 13-year-old downloaded the billionth application from the Apple App Store, becoming the grand-prize winner in the company's app countdown contest, the Apple said Friday.

Connor Mulcahey of Weston, Conn., will receive a $10,000 iTunes gift card, an iPod Touch, a Time Capsule backup system for the Mac, and a MacBook Pro. The billionth app was Bump Technologies' "Bump," which enables iPhones to share contact information from users' address books by bringing the devices close together.

The App Store, launched nine months ago, reached the billion-app milestone Thursday, according to Apple. The online store that offers third-party applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch has more than 35,000 applications available in 77 countries.

Mobile applications have been available for download for years from the Web, but the popularity of the App Store has changed the market. All of Apple's major rivals are expected to eventually have their own over-the-air way to distribute mobile programs.

However, competitors have their own twists. Google says its Android Market will be more open, Research In Motion (NSDQ: RIMM)'s App World is more enterprise-friendly, Nokia (NYSE: NOK)'s Ovi Store will integrate social networking and location, and Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT)'s Windows Marketplace for Mobile will allow users to be billed through their carriers.

Apple is hoping the App Store will become even more popular with the release this summer of version 3.0 of the iPhone operating system. The update provides more than 1,000 new application programming interfaces that enable developers to build software with in-app purchases, peer-to-peer connections, push notifications, and more.

Source(s): http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardwa...IWK_report_html

the count was going up so fast if you refreshed your page every five minutes you'd realize it was about 50 thousand numbers higher then it was previously.

the count was going up so fast if you refreshed your page every five minutes you'd realize it was about 50 thousand numbers higher then it was previously.

Yeah, that must been exciting on apples end looking for the 1 billionth download.

If I won that I'd share it with selected people since it seems impossible to download that much.

That's ridiculous. One million downloads in nine months.

if i won this i would sell the gift card for $500 because all the shit u can buy in the itunes store is crap.

i would rather get .5k really fast