Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Net Neutrality, and the war of piracy

I wanted to open a topic to kind of bring some awareness to everyone about the recent events. There's really a big war going on right now over the internet and our freedom to use it how we choose to. I also wanted to get your opinion on the whole concept of net neutrality. So, here's some recent events that have been going on, and some articles you should read. The future of the internet as we know if today really depends on us being aware of it's current state.

Time Warner creates plans for bandwith caps, quickly denied by the users.

Source(s): http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...e=twitter-dandc

RIAA's Hostile take over of the internet: http://torrentfreak.com/riaas-hostile-take...nternet-090429/

---

So, do you think this is an issue we should be interested in? Do you know how this effects you? Have you experienced any service degradation due to the lack of net neutrality with your ISP?

This is actually a very big issue. With the advent of the new Internet2, "pay-per-view" internet is well on its way; along with internet censorship. This would be extremely bad because it would cause a fall with our rights of free speech. In other words the end of the internet as we know it. I actually have written a big paper on this issue and addressed it at my University.

This is a real issue that needs to be addressed and learned and realized. We cannot allow companies to take over the internet. If all of this goes through we wont even have Ghoztcraft to enjoy anymore.

I just wrote a 5 page essay on internet censorship... this would have been so useful... couldn't they have released those a little bit earlier:P

1. Outlaw file sharing

2. Outlaw personal encryption and anonymization services

3. Set up a global, privately-run Internet surveillance program to spy on everybody all the time without a warrant — run by ISPs and paid for by the taxpayers

4. And finally, get the authority to block anyone from the Internet entirely, without the involvement of police, courts or any verifiable trail of evidence

That right there is exactly what i was fighting against on my essay.

I don't think the internet should be controlled by one person, but the entire population as one.

I'm getting a little pissed off.

Subject: Information about your video "Allstar Interpretation - ProSlasher"

"Dear TheProSlasher,

Your video, Allstar Interpretation - ProSlasher, may have content that is owned or licensed by UMG.

No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/84275/Jing/2009-05-01_1142.png

It's a video I made for fun. :- At least they didn't remove the song... Just added the link to buy.

I'm getting a little pissed off.

Subject: Information about your video "Allstar Interpretation - ProSlasher"

"Dear TheProSlasher,

Your video, Allstar Interpretation - ProSlasher, may have content that is owned or licensed by UMG.

No action is required on your part; however, if you are interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team"

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/84275/Jing/2009-05-01_1142.png

It's a video I made for fun. :- At least they didn't remove the song... Just added the link to buy.

They only did that because the entire song was on the video. If you would have only done say half the song it wouldn't have been flagged.

It's terrible quality and it's just the principle behind it. At least they didn't remove it and/or delete it.

My efforts on privacy right now is send no referrer, spoof my x-forwarded ip to 127.0.0.1 and people went to jail in the 90s and got major fines for spreading cryptology in the 90s in the US. The only reason they are doing this is because through the internet ppl reveal classified secrets.

Everyone who has adblock if you truly want to get privacy using adblock u need to dl ghostery 2.

By the way in legal terms the internet is not covered by any article or amendment in the constitution.

Also we should start creating an algorithm encryption that if decrypted 1 way will yield a mock message and decrypted another way will reveal the real thing. About the country recording what you say and where you click, all you would have to do is use 2048-bit or 4096-bit encryption .

If the government starts recording all these things we strike back. We overload their servers. We hit them hard and fast if they ever start. And if they say that is illegal, we'll say we were just submitting alot of data :D .

If encryption software becomes illegal we publish a book (covered by freedom of speech) with the source to

the encryption technology.

They also want to destroy open source OS like LINUX which can be compiled by yourself to rid of any company monitoring this is far fetched but the government might make Micro$oft add a back door with which the person can be monitored

I bring this up because most people don't take into consideration that it effects small business owners like myself. If traffic get's degraded then we suffer the most, because the traffic will decrease and our chance is being successful gets cut in half. The concept of Net Neutrality needs to exist because the day that ceases to become a reality is the day thousands of websites die off due to lack of visitors.

Just thinking about this, without net neutrality, would websites like facebook and myspace ever have a starting chance? Because Google or Yahoo could start their own social network and sign contracts with your ISP. That would chance the face of the internet forever.

You see and that is what these large companies want to do. They want complete control over the internet so they can charge what they want and when they want per page load and use of bandwidth. I am so going to try and fight this crap!

lets buy an ip address and host our own dns so if some sites are removed from dns we can still access those sites.

Well this kind of thing not only effects us online.

Take a look at this article for instance.

http://torrentfreak.com/search-for-movie-p...privacy-090531/

I mean geeze, now everyone is a "Potential Scene Pirate"

This kind of this tends to get out of hand.

Also on the case of "The Pirate Bay Trial"

It seems the judge was handpicked according to his so called "Expertise on copyright related issues"

I am a firm believe that this case was one sided.

Not only did the judge not take the technical details into account, the ruling was pretty much based of "Intent"

And this kind of thing has spread all over the world now.

Spain seems to be the only one on the right track.

I've been following that case too.

I see why each business has problems with it but its stupid. No matter what pirating is going to happen. Though I hate how big corperations take pirating so seriously when they have millions of dollars as it is. This also pisses me off that the smallest shit getting checked at the movies. Not just that but my privacy.

If the state wins that case then all of us that have used the piratebay will have the information given freely to the companies and they can send us fines etc. Not to happy about that part of the case.

pirate bay if they lose they'll probly upset and accidentally lose their records

If the state wins that case then all of us that have used the piratebay will have the information given freely to the companies and they can send us fines etc. Not to happy about that part of the case.

That's gonna make my daddy mad. D:

Yeah fines up to $250,000 per movie would suck ass. If that happens it might be better to trash the old computer and get a new internet service provider and then be like what are you talking about?

Or you can be a good person and go up to the FBI and tell them you pirated movies

Or you can be a good person and go up to the FBI and tell them you pirated movies

lol no fn way.

agreed we should fight this because there is other problems with filtering the internet also. take for example online games if they do a man in the middle attack and "filter" your traffic it will take longer for the packets to get to the game server in most cases causing you to lag and in first person shooters it can mean the diffence between a kill or a death i mean imagine Ur vsing a noob and get pwned because the packets saying you moved didn't get there or didn't get there in time

now this will obviously depend on how fast they can filter your traffic and pass it on to the game server. i live in aus and it bad enough playing on American servers now if it gets any worse i wont be able to play.

If these ppl had brains heres what they would do:

1. give up chasing the pirates and leechers

2. do something like charge the isps a fee which will then be pass on to us which makes it a little more expensive for us but its means we will still have our privacy and be able to do the things we love. is there a world wide site dedicated to this fight? that i/we can donate to because i will if not who will make one?

Edited by 2hot

250,000 fines is stupid. It's like they pulled that number out of a hat.

just call up your friend Bill Gates. Lol :D

Like people would pay that or even be able to.

im talking about like an extra $10 a month but i said something like that i didn't that was the solution

especialy when the economy is going down the drain.

Comcast has already set a 250gb/month bandwidth usage limit.

Granted you'd be crazy to download that in a month, the fact is, the amount is only gonna get smaller, and the amount of content on the internet isn't.

Well this kind of thing not only effects us online.

Take a look at this article for instance.

http://torrentfreak.com/search-for-movie-p...privacy-090531/

I mean geeze, now everyone is a "Potential Scene Pirate"

This kind of this tends to get out of hand.

Also on the case of "The Pirate Bay Trial"

It seems the judge was handpicked according to his so called "Expertise on copyright related issues"

I am a firm believe that this case was one sided.

Not only did the judge not take the technical details into account, the ruling was pretty much based of "Intent"

And this kind of thing has spread all over the world now.

Spain seems to be the only one on the right track.