Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Iran's Disputed Election

Iran's Disputed Election

I'm going to be adding pictures to this topic - Please post any articles you find relating.

Following up from last Friday's entry about Iran's Presidential Election, Tehran and other cities have seen the largest street protests and rioting since the 1979 Iranian Revolution. Supporters of reform candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi, upset at their announced loss and suspicions of voter fraud, took to the streets both peacefully and, in some cases, violently to vent their frustrations. Iranian security forces and hardline volunteer militia members responded with force and arrests, attempting to stamp out the protests - meanwhile, thousands of Iranians who were happy with the election outcome staged their own victory demonstrations. Mousavi himself has been encouraging peaceful demonstrations, and called for calm at a large demonstration today (held in defiance of an official ban), as Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has just called for an official inquiry into accusations of election irregularities.

As far as I know, the election didn't turn out how the people wanted. And it's sparked hundreds of protests with thousands of people. You can keep pretty updated with this at twitter.

Source(s):

http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23iranelection (Search for #iranelection)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/i...d_election.html

Well...... it seems to me like "shits about to hit the fan" ........Again............ :ermm:

It's been going on since the 12th.

This stuff is really interesting. It's too bad it can't be more peaceful.

the first election always has multiple issues. It might get better but I highly doubt it

Extremely interesting stuff. The way the internet is involved is extraordinary. Going to be a weird few years after this one.