Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

The $17,500 Video Game

First off, I think this is insane O.O

Think $60 video games are too expensive? You won't hear any argument from us, but you might from JJ Hendricks, a collector who just paid a clinically insane $17,500 for an obscure NES game from 1990.

The game in question is an ultra-rare, gold-colored version of Nintendo World Championships, a cartridge specially produced for use in a Nintendo-sponsored gaming contest. According to Wikipedia only 26 were created, and Hendricks calls it the "Holy Grail" of video game collectors.

The game itself has a time limit of just 6 minutes and 21 seconds and consists of three short segments from other NES games: Super Mario Bros., Tetris, and Rad Racer. Players are scored according to their performance in each game, and their scores are totaled once the time limit expires. Doesn't sound too riveting to us, but then somehow we doubt Hendricks is in it for the gameplay.

And while $17,500 might seem a bit much for a collection of ones and zeroes, Hendricks actually got a bargain: the game was originally listed on eBay for a cool $25,000.

Source: http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged...eo-game/1332488

Oh my god.. I bet someone could just make one of those things for like 20 bucks and a few downloads..

The only known copy of Resident Evil 1.5 was once offered to the guy who owns it for over $6000. And he refused!

Thats just insane.

wow just wow

The price may be so high since the cartridge was made with gold? O_o Or just colored gold? And dear god imagine how much that thing would sell for in 10 more years XD

It's painted gold but there are only 26 of them, they are the prizes give to the top 26 people at the 1990 NES tournament.

Gears of War 2 should cost that much.

I personally am not a fan of GOW

If I had that much money I'd use it for college.

hell if only my copy of the first Legend of zelda was worth that much