Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Blizzard Kills StarCraft II LAN Support

Upcoming real-time strategy Windows game StarCraft II will ship without Local Area Network multiplayer support in an effort to combat piracy, says Blizzard, in an official statement sure to annoy if not outright confound series fans the world round. Calling it a "difficult decision," Blizzard's Bob Colayco reportedly told Joystiq that "moving away from LAN play and directing players to our upgraded Battle.net service was the best option to ensure a quality multiplayer experience with StarCraft II and safeguard against piracy."

Uh-oh, did someone just invoke the 'p' word? And is Blizzard serious? No more LAN parties? Every potential customer has internet as fast and dependable as they're apparently dishing out in Irvine, California? Running crossover Ethernet cables between PCs is officially passé?

Prediction: U.S. recession ends by 2010?

Hey Blizzard, what about those of us who still routinely take our gaming laptops with us on weekend trips to remote locales that lack internet access? Show of hands: Who wants to play head-to-head with friends or relatives in a low-speed internet setting? Even a high-speed internet setting prone to hiccups? And what about all the folks running brick and mortar game competitions, hosting tournaments with locally networked PCs, where fast and steady communication is essential?

According to Colayco, Battle.net features like "advanced communication options, achievements, stat-tracking, and more" will require players to be connected to the service.

Okay. Fine. If we want those "advanced" options (whatever they are) or achievements or stat-tracking, then we'll go online. That's fair. That's what Battle.net offers. But if we're not interested, we shouldn't be penalized for preferring the speed and stability and locational flexibility of local peer-to-peer play, should we?

What do you think?

Source: http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009/06/30...-ii-lan-support

--

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty pissed off about this.

I agree, a stupid decision in the end I say.

Though, I highly doubt it will stay that way. I am sure somebody will make some program or mod that allows LAN play.

I agree, a stupid decision in the end I say.

Though, I highly doubt it will stay that way. I am sure somebody will make some program or mod that allows LAN play.

That's exactly what I was thinking..

Blizzard should be fined for making a stupid decision like this >:/

This is REALY OLD news...

This pisses me off. Fuck you blizzard :fuk:

You see, I liked Blizzard over Activision because of the LAN capabilities of their games. Now they are no better than Activision. Freaking pricks! This isn't going to thwart piracy, morons. Just another excuse to be like steam. WTF! What is multiplayer spawn installs considered piracy now? They are the ones that allowed it in "their" games. This will put a huge damper in the gameplay and in all the things that made StarCraft one of the best games ever.

I have lost my hope in you blizzard. SC2 is going to suck ass without LAN capabilities.

Some one will make a stand alone mod for it not that hard to do making lan doable. As for blizzards choice in doing it is pretty lame imo tiz a shame to see them go that route. They have all ready made me lose intress with not making the full story with he first but splitting it with expansion and now this how will i pass time at the office playing my brother over a lan.

Thanks for posting this Ghozt been occupied lately

Well I see how this does stop piracy. However they could just block different computers with the same cdkey from playing with each other over LAN.