Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Staff REFORM

What do you think of my idea?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of my idea?

• I am for it.
    • I am against it.
    • Undecided/Don't care/Yes but with these changes... (Your post)

You don't see how that would be a problem... seriously omfg

And you apparently see a problem but won't tell me what it is.

What Poply's plan would do is basically make all moderators more efficient by letting them moderate more forums. It'll increase security risks but there's not much else you can do about a system where you can't physically check up on a person's mental state or behavior patterns. So there is always that inherent risk involved. Sure it could happen, some how, but it has yet to happen, and it probably won't happen. If one of our current Admins were to "snap" and go crazy, it's not like we could really stop them from doing so anyway.

I have been telling you the problem but your saying "ohhh that won't happen"

I have been telling you the problem but your saying "ohhh that won't happen"

You haven't told me a problem that is exclusive to my plan.

No, I've been saying, that it may happen, but it probably won't because no matter what, "there is always that inherent risk involved." If it hasn't happened so far, then hopefully things will follow this trend in the future. We are improving the system, which will simply make it harder for that to happen. It's easier to fix the damage done by a Global, than the potential damage that CAN be done by an Admin. So stop this stupid roundabout game because now your starting to irritate me.

Sorry for taking so long to reply.. let's see here..

Ghozt doesn't update his security so we could be hacked at any time, Ghuradio was attacked by ad-bots and i spent 30 minutes deleting all the topics they posted but thats "quick"

First of all, there where a few comments about the security of this website not being updated. It's very secure, and we actually block close to 80 hack attempts a week. If you've ever tried posting something and reloaded to see your post was blank, or you got a white page, it's because it was blocking potential malicious content.

GHURadio is an example of what happens when I don't spend time on the site. That wont happen here, never has.

I'll try to reply to some of you.

The longer the staff is at Ghoztcraft the more powers they have?

Rank each Ghoztcraft staff member a "level" from 1-5 or something?

Only accept new staff members who are friends with most of us?

Rep points for staff equal power?

This wont work because we can't have moderators for the same sections and have different "powers" without it being complicated, or worse, the equivalent of what we have now on a whole new level.

You're whole argument rides on the basis of "What if some one deletes all the forums".

"what if some one gets angry?"

"what if some one gets hacked?"

Very unlikely it'll happen.

"ok, it's unlikely, but it's still bound to happen!"

If it does, we can recover in very short amount of time.

Edit: Plus, that can still happen right now. The only difference is how much we have to recover which is minuscule in difference.

"Not if they delete the back ups"

If some one deletes back ups, then they were more than a moderator (I believe only admins can. I don't think any moderators right now have access to that kind of stuff.) and therefore that argument isn't related to my idea because this only affect moderators.

The current system doesn't work. We have moderators stuck with dead sections that have very little chance of ever becoming active.

We need to look at both sides, yeah, it sucks being stuck with a dead section, but by letting people roam around the forums, would those dead sections become even worse? The idea behind forcing a mod to work in those sections was not only to build up a rank, but because that section was deemed to require more attention.

As far as the "what if someone hacks the account" issue; As of now, you guys have as much power as you do, because we allow you to. I can prevent moderators from mass moving and mass deleting topics, forcing everything to close topics, or move topics to the trash. Or even more secure, force each moderator to only allow for editing and reporting posts for deletion.

With that said, you'd have less control over the content in case of an accident, but set in place to prevent any real potential damage. Obviously, over the span of the 80+ forum sections we have here.

I don't see why you'd want to argue about "What if a moderator gets hacked" If that were the case, then "What if an Admin gets hacked"

That wont happen, we're admin for a reason.

If that were the case, I could help set up something similar to how our military handles information, sort of like a Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) type of thing for the website. It helps ensure information protection. The website has somewhat of a simple design similar to this, but we're just not using it. :/ Don't know why, but I guess people just choose not to. And if everything goes well, we wouldn't need so many moderators since the moderators we already have should be enough.

We would end up having less moderators, we don't need 15 mods if everyone can work together. It always means the value of being a mod here would increase.

What Poply's plan would do is basically make all moderators more efficient by letting them moderate more forums. It'll increase security risks but there's not much else you can do about a system where you can't physically check up on a person's mental state or behavior patterns. So there is always that inherent risk involved. Sure it could happen, some how, but it has yet to happen, and it probably won't happen. If one of our current Admins were to "snap" and go crazy, it's not like we could really stop them from doing so anyway.

Backups are made fairly frequently, but I can assure you measures are taken to prevent this from happening regardless of the state of the staff. I think the real issue here is going to be setting this up and redoing all the positions and permissions, and then hope to god everyone is happy with the new system.

Personally, I don't really care how we manage things. Anything can be changed, I'm not a web master because I post on forums, it's because I know what I'm doing. If we have 6-8 "Moderators" who actually manage everything, then great. But those said moderators are going to have their hands full, and this will open all kinds of doors.

Plus, like I said, we can still have some sub moderator sections for off-forum divisions of the site, like the army system, gallery, downloads, and wiki. All section retained staff, such as Starcraft Mod or WoW Mod would no longer exist, and/or be retired, reverted or "promoted", so to speak.

--

Hope that helps. And please stop arguing, try to keep this a serious discussion. This is a huge change for the site, we would have a very unique setup here.

Well you know I was thinking about this.. Honestly, the ones who don't have an active section aren't needed... The current system we have now works. There is no point or reason to group everyone together.

To the people who bitch about having an inactive forum; you should post more in other forums...

Think about it.... We aren't using them now.... everything is fine with out them. So, why do they need to become moderator of other forums then?

I'm not thinking straight. I hope this makes sense.

Ehhh it makes sense more or less...

Interesting idea poply. It seems like an idea worth trying but i'm not sure about it. Some people like their positions example me. I personally think it's easier for people to have their own positions to focus on.

I remember how big of a deal it was when people got General Mod, as well as Global Mod. It's just that now you guys have progressed past that, to Admin.

Each of us are basically passing trials; once you show that you can moderate, and are enthusiastic, you can apply to become General or Global. Then from there on, it's up to XGhozt to promote you if he so desires.

I was pissed off as FUCK when MadChat got promoted to Global, as were many of you. If you don't remember, Poply, here's a nice little reminder.

http://www.Ghoztcraft.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=65872

So have we decided whether this is gonna happen or not?

If this does go through, I'll still support it, I just don't think it's the most effective way to moderate the forums.

It probably won't. I was surprised with how many people opposed it.

Well I don't really oppose/support it.

I'm just thinking of all the risks.