Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Staff REFORM

What do you think of my idea?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of my idea?

• I am for it.
    • I am against it.
    • Undecided/Don't care/Yes but with these changes... (Your post)

The longer the staff is at Ghoztcraft the more powers they have?

Rank each Ghoztcraft staff member a "level" from 1-5 or something?

Only accept new staff members who are friends with most of us?

Rep points for staff equal power?

^Some food for thought. -.-

My goal in that list was quantity, not quality. Some of them won't work. :3

"The longer the staff is at Ghoztcraft the more powers they have?"

I don't think that would work.

Personally I think this would give the moderators all a little bit too much power. They now have jurisdiction across the entire forums, which also means they are less obligated to maintain their assigned part of the forums. This would basically promote every mod to global. We also don't have any general moderators, they've either all been promoted or retired...

Also, most of the active members now are moderators, but for different sections. Basically what you're making is 3 tiers of members, admins, mods, and regular members. This would make it harder for regular members to become mods, and i know that after being a mod you spend more time here, so that would overall decrease the number of people regularly visiting the site...

Well, all in all, i vote no. You may disagree, but this is my argument.

Go ahead and respond to it, but keep it friendly. I don't like flame wars.

I thought it was interesting that you said it would be more difficult for members to become moderators as if we needed more moderators. The point of Ghoztcraft isn't to eventually become a moderator.

I don't like the idea of trial moderators. It just seems unneeded.

i say we keep the old system

A bunch of sections are very inactive and this new system will eliminate the staff having nothing to do.

I'm just wondering what everyone would think if we removed all of the moderator positions like gaming mod, valve mod, graphics mod, etc. and instead grouped all moderators just into a group called "Moderator". Each moderator would be able to moderator the entire Ghoztcraft forums. What this would do is make things easier for everyone. Moderators will no longer be stuck with the painstaking job of trying to revive and jump start sections like the WoW section. And this will no longer leave us making the decision of whether or not a moderator is being inactive or is just stuck with a section with no activity.

Basically anyone who is a moderator now will be put into this group. ACP access will still only be allowed to the most trusted moderators (maybe a 2nd tier moderator group or just moved into the admin group).

Anyways, that's my proposal and let me know what you guys think.

I give it two week before its reverted to the old system. Main problem i see with this kind of move is trust issues as me and other old member's more power comes more bullshit out of the people with it. Meaning no offense to the person im fixing to point out. Xthar has shown in the past abuse of such power i think only one example is need for this and im going to leave it as such. And such for pushing the issue of trust on those running the site. Good idea thou has its major flaws like most plans usely do fortunately the margin for error with this is big so we will see how it goes i think.

I don't like this idea it would be easier for one person to fuck it up for every one. (like fish and madchat or what ever his name was...)

No

Repairing one forum that's been deleted and repairing ALL the forums is nearly identical.

I'm just wondering what everyone would think if we removed all of the moderator positions like gaming mod, valve mod, graphics mod, etc. and instead grouped all moderators just into a group called "Moderator". Each moderator would be able to moderator the entire Ghoztcraft forums. What this would do is make things easier for everyone. Moderators will no longer be stuck with the painstaking job of trying to revive and jump start sections like the WoW section. And this will no longer leave us making the decision of whether or not a moderator is being inactive or is just stuck with a section with no activity.

Basically anyone who is a moderator now will be put into this group. ACP access will still only be allowed to the most trusted moderators (maybe a 2nd tier moderator group or just moved into the admin group).

I give it two week before its reverted to the old system. Main problem i see with this kind of move is trust issues as me and other old member's more power comes more bullshit out of the people with it. Meaning no offense to the person im fixing to point out. Xthar has shown in the past abuse of such power i think only one example is need for this and im going to leave it as such. And such for pushing the issue of trust on those running the site. Good idea thou has its major flaws like most plans usely do fortunately the margin for error with this is big so we will see how it goes i think.

I don't understand. What do you think will go wrong? It seems like you're just saying there will be drama. Which I don't even understand that.

I think he's saying he's afraid of people who would abuse the power of being a moderator over everything. You can't trust all the staff, there are so many.

I don't like this idea it would be easier for one person to fuck it up for every one. (like fish and madchat or what ever his name was...)

No

Repairing one forum that's been deleted and repairing ALL the forums is nearly identical.

I don't understand. What do you think will go wrong? It seems like you're just saying there will be drama. Which I don't even understand that.

Ok lets say for example 2 moderators get in a disagreement and they decide to be childish one will just IP ban the other and no one will notice for awhile unless the admin's "do their job"

Thats not the only issue. What if one of the moderators gets hacked?

What if one of the mods goes crazy and does something stupid IE: I-8-my-goldfish, Madchat

There are to many possiblitys for stuff to go wrong. Where as with the old system, lets say for example i get hacked. (although thats unlikely) the only damage is the news forms not the whole site....

Now lets say.... rdy2kills gets hacked... only forums effected are the extra forums...

Idk those are just my idea's i say we don't do this system as it is not secure.... in any way shape or form.... :ermm:

1. I trust our moderators wouldn't do that. Plus, that can happen now. I haven't really discussed ACP access alot (for IP banning people) but moderators generally won't get ACP access.

2. Again, same thing can happen now.

3. AGAIN same thing can happen now.

4. As I said before, repairing one deleted forum is nearly identical to repairing all of the forums.

Wait it can or can't happen.

And I still disagree. Even though it most likely won't happen, there's still a sliver of chance that a mod could get hacked. Or they could act extremely childish.

And I don't see how one forum is the same as all of them. It'll take a lot more work to rebuild a whole ship then repair a broken mast imo.

The only difference in recovering one section and the whole forum is scale.

Edit: It's not that hard to undelete topics.

1) Its been done before and history repeats itself. we all know that :P

2) yes the same thing can happen now but as i pointed out the damage would be minimal instead of every thing being gone...

3) yes repairing a big mess is simple but if they delete the back ups were pretty much fucked.....

4) some people simply cant be trusted with the power they have. I refuse to give names but im sure you know who you are... (again this is my personal opinion)

5) If the current system works why change it?

6) do you think something is wrong with the current system?

There are just too many possibilities for things to get messed up because of stupid people doing stupid things and acting childish.

Again although we have many risks now if you use this new system there will be a lot more its only a matter of time :search:

You're whole argument rides on the basis of "What if some one deletes all the forums".

"what if some one gets angry?"

"what if some one gets hacked?"

Very unlikely it'll happen.

"ok, it's unlikely, but it's still bound to happen!"

If it does, we can recover in very short amount of time.

Edit: Plus, that can still happen right now. The only difference is how much we have to recover which is minuscule in difference.

"Not if they delete the back ups"

If some one deletes back ups, then they were more than a moderator (I believe only admins can. I don't think any moderators right now have access to that kind of stuff.) and therefore that argument isn't related to my idea because this only affect moderators.

The current system doesn't work. We have moderators stuck with dead sections that have very little chance of ever becoming active.

Yeah but it's much easier to have a team of moderators working on their assigned sections trying to re-activate them rather then completely ditching that forum.

But they chose to take those positions XGhozt didn't just say "hey here's moderator for (insert section here) what you don't like it?!!?!? DEAL WITH IT." They chose what staff position they are in if they don't like having a dead section they shouldn't have applied for the dead section...

Also your whole arguement rides on the assumption of

"Things are very unlikely to happen"

Although this is true and a somewhat valid arguement you cant say "ohhhh we trust every one" we might as well be giving every one who accesses Ghoztcraft Global mod

"oh we can recover in a short ammount of time"

With the forums as dead as they are (yea i said it) it could be hours before the problems are even noticed. That doesn't help attract new members.

Ghozt doesn't update his security so we could be hacked at any time, Ghuradio was attacked by ad-bots and i spent 30 minutes deleting all the topics they posted but thats "quick"

Well for your last point, i think admins can just set the forums to a recovery date, like the day before and everything changes to that date.

But what would scare me is if by chance none of the admins are on when the forums get screwed over, and then there would be another difference in one forum and all forums which would be time. It would take moderators forever to delete/edit everything one by one...

I don't see why you'd want to argue about "What if a moderator gets hacked" If that were the case, then "What if an Admin gets hacked"

You'll only get hacked if your stupid enough to have an extremely weak or obvious password (ahem, Bounder). Or if you are reckless and download all sorts of stuff and may download a remote keylogger, then your account should remain safe.

If that were the case, I could help set up something similar to how our military handles information, sort of like a Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) type of thing for the website. It helps ensure information protection. The website has somewhat of a simple design similar to this, but we're just not using it. :/ Don't know why, but I guess people just choose not to. And if everything goes well, we wouldn't need so many moderators since the moderators we already have should be enough.

Ehhh true.

But i'm still against giving everybody so much power.

I'm glad you brought that up. You can ask any of our special moderators that only have jurisdiction over a small area and most of them will tell you that they're unsatisfied with it. Now is it their fault since they chose that position? I suppose so. But I think it would be better if we could work as a collective and took responsibility as a whole instead of pushing blame on a certain person for not reviving a section or blaming the person who made that person a mod.

Those aren't assumptions.

This is really bad now. You're saying we shouldn't do this because of the bad first impressions given to new members during 1 or 2 hours that might occur when the forums are offline, or being repaired.

What does technical security have to do with this at all? It's completely irrelevant. If we get hacked through a security hole that has nothing to do with whether or not we let someone moderate the forums.

Well, once we eliminate the security threat people keep worrying about, we just have to worry about people abusing their power, or just not doing their job.

what i was suggesting with that last point poply was that if the person who found a security hole was to give his or her account access to the acp and just fuck EVERYTHING UP

You assume we can recover fast....

you still haven't commented on the fact that we would be giving the most basic of moderators the equivalent of global...

And that is most likely not going to happen. So we could keep playing what if games all day long, it won't change the odds of it happening.

what i was suggesting with that last point poply was that if the person who found a security hole was to give his or her account access to the acp and just fuck EVERYTHING UP

You assume we can recover fast....

you still haven't commented on the fact that we would be giving the most basic of moderators the equivalent of global...

I haven't commented on that? That's basically what my whole plan is.

You don't see how that would be a problem... seriously omfg

know what.... put your plan in place but if and when shit "hits the fan" i get to say "i told you so" :ermm: