Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Need some help

Well my laptop is freezing up a lot all of a sudden, last about 5 or less minutes when I start windows normally it works fine when I use safe mode. I'm guessing that it has something to with my registry. Unfortantly I have no clue how to fix this if you guys could help that would be greatly appreciated since I have a paper and a project due on Monday.

Also I realize that there is registry fix programs that offer a scan but doesn't offer a fix, so is there away to do it manually? or will I have to buy a full version?

It could potentially be a driver error as well. If it runs fine in safe mode then a driver that gets loaded may be the cause, or it could be a program you recently installed. Installed anything recently? If so, get rid of it while your running in safe mode and see if that solves the problem.

For cleaning out your registry, I recommend a program called CCleaner. It'll scan your registry for any missing or unused entries and deletes them allowing your computer to run faster by getting rid of unnecessary instructions. It automatically creates a backup before deleting anything that you can run again to restore your registry just in case it deletes something important that you didn't know about.

Check out Crap Cleaner and a task manager replacment called Free Extended Task Manager by Extensoft. Use CCleaner to clear out your registry and clean up your startup list, then use the task manager to track down which program causing all the I/O wait.

I haven't installed or download anything for quite sometime. I just turned on my computer I get this thing talking about my C: and is doing some sort of scan it looks like, i keep getting "File record segment (number goes here) is unreadable, goes to a higher number then repeats the same message.

Should I allow it to continue doing this or turn it off and do what you guys are suggesting?

Oh, it's scanning your computer. Let it finish silly. It may take a long ass time if your HDD is really screwed up. But just let it finish. I once had that disc checking process take an hour or so to finish. But if it's getting unreadable, then you may be screwed, so just let it finish, and if by a whole day it's not done, you have a screwed up HDD.

alright it's done should I still use a registry fix to be on the safe side?

That's okay, as long as you let it finish, or it may continue to have issues.

Run a diskcheck and defragment that thing too.

Also post your hijackthis scan if possible..

alright I don't know exactly what I am suppose to do with clean up mind giving me a small guide line?

Well, you should try CCleaner like we both suggested, it's very good at cleaning out old computers that have been overrun with all sorts of small registry entries. As for other forms of clean up, I don't generally have that many. I don't download all sorts of strange stuff so I don't get strange things I have to clean up >.<

alright thanks you guys