Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Starcraft Problem...

alright ive had starcraft installed for 2 years now and never have had this problem when i put the cd into the cd rom drive and close it, it begins to start gives that little hum noise but then slowly the noise goes away and it dosnt load i have tried using 2 different cd's but it does the same thing please help i really want to play

It's not the discs silly, it's your drive. Try the following:

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: (322756) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

This problem is caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To fix the problem, you have to use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries. To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

Microsoft Windows Vista

Click Start, and then click All Programs.

Click Accessories, and then click Run.

Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note: If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

Now go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.

Microsoft Windows XP

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry.

In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note: If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

or it could be that your cd drive is just not reading your disks and you need a new one (my friend has this problem) but if i were you i would definitely try vipers method first....

have you tried using ISOs? I can give you the original or broodwar.

i have no idea what isos are but if its easier than vipers post which i have no what any of that means than yes please

Edited by Se7eNX

Microsoft Windows XP

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

didnt work...

so where can i get these iso files and what exactly do they do?

ISO files are basically the a hard copy of a CD. I ripped my cd onto ISO files. You can get ISO mounting software to mount it. I dont know of any free ones but I have a cracked one that I use, PowerISO. Ill post the original and expansion below.

Original: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y2381G50
Broodwar: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8YVPDO80

Edited by ViperSRT3g
Inserted URLs into Code box

to play broodwar would i need to download original and broodwar?

Original to install, Brood War to play, however if you have it already installed, then you only need the Brood War ISO for now.

If you require image mounting software, I recommend:

Daemon Tools

Alcohol 52%

hey viper thanks for telling me what to dl but the first method you suggested didnt help me

The first method is to check in case your drive registry got corrupted some how, if it didn't then you can move onto other solutions.

o alright well thanks for trying to help anyway :o

i finished download the iso brood war file but ive never used a iso file before so how would i go about installing broodwar?

Install one of the two programs I recommended, then you will be able to mount the disc image you just downloaded.

can poweriso mount the image? and even then how would i go about mounting a image i have no knowledge of iso files

Never used PowerISO before. But there should be menus somewhere in each program along the lines of Drive Emulation. These should allow you to mount ISO files as Virtual Drives.

You guide the program to the ISO file you just downloaded. That's the file you mount.

I send you the power ISO via PM. If u need more help u can contact me on aim: wormret

Ok if your using PowerISO here's a simple guide that will help you mount the ISO image.

(After installing power iso restarting your computer is actually neccesary. Otherwise you will not be able to mount ISO's so if you have not. Restart your computer)

Open PowerISO

On the graphic menu there should be a button that says mount click the button.

Go down to the sub menu that says "set number of drives"

Set at least 1 drive. (you can set as many as you want/need)

Click mount again

There should now be a drive available to mount

Navigate to the location in which you saved your ISO.

Open the ISO.

And your done Hope this helps!!

(Sometimes when using ISO's the program that is supposed to autorun doesn't run upon mounting. This can be done manually by navigating to the drive via my computer.)

Perhaps a new drive is in order?