Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

They're going to bomb the moon!

I don't know if this is news to anyone, but I was just watching the 6 o'clock news and heard that NASA is going to bomb the moon this Friday. They will send a missile along with a camera trailing behind it to send live feed of the explosion at its surface. It will be visible from Earth with a simple telescope. NASA wants to see how much water and ice comes up from the explosion with the camera. It is going to cost tax payers 79 million dollars to launch the so called "Moon Bombing" Mission. Please post your thoughts, whether it be negative or positive.

---

I found an article about it here for more details and a video regarding a lunar base as well as other information here.

EDIT:

I have replaced the previous link to the broadcast with XGhozt's link because it has much more information. Please note the original link was just a place holder until I found more information besides the news broadcast itself.

Edited by GhoztMan

Our economy is barely working and the geniuses over at NASA decide to spend $79,000,000 to blow another asshole in our moon? Pancake does not approve.

I love looking at the full moon. Stop destroying it. Also, share the money with the poor instead, we'd be way better off.

I love looking at the full moon. Stop destroying it. Also, share the money with the poor instead, we'd be way better off.

Okay Stalin settle down there.

And this is all news to me I never knew we brought democracy to the moon

First of all, this isn't a waste of money. And second of all, NASA has made significant scientific discoveries in the past which started with seemingly useless experiments. For example, the stuff on potato chips that keep them fresh, and the fabric in some of our beds and chairs. These experiments are what might lead to something else, it's not the result that counts, it's the process and it's effects that lead to discoveries made along the way.

And to top it off, the bomb isn't even that big!

Why it SHOULD happen: http://zikkir.com/index/33597

LCROSS will create a 6-foot-deep crater inside another crater on the south pole. The moon has suffered much worse from the cosmos, and this latest gouge pales in comparison. Note that there are no explosives on board—the mass of the impactor alone is enough to create a plume. Also, the craft will be empty of all fuel before impact, to keep results uncluttered.
The cost of LCROSS is about $491 million—cheap in the spaceflight world—LCROSS is a Class D mission, denoting one with the highest risk of failure. Once-in-a-lifetime missions and those with human passengers are considered Class A missions, and carry a high cost in time and money to ensure that the equipment won’t fail. The extra testing, custom-built gear and redundant equipment drives up costs to levels that give even members of Congress pause. NASA could launch more risky missions like LCROSS instead of just a handful of marquee ones, and reap more rewards even if some fail.

I think this is going to be awesome! They have been planning this for some time now and what it means is the start to see if we can make a lunar base for the human mission to Mars! This is very exciting!

I agree with both Ghozt and Zar. It's not a waste of money if you actually read why they are doing it. Exactly what Zar said, "This is very exciting"

I'd also like to see the full outcome of this, though one thing I hate about it is... is well the cost for space projects.

Also the stalin joke was funny

I think its completly worth it :D

One thing about space projects is that the amount of money spent on them isn't redeemed. I wonder if they publish exactly what each dollar went for in the project

Didn't they already do this and fail?

I'm not sure what they found yet; haven't heard anything about it on the News, however, all I know is that the camera they sent up there with what they were shooting the moon with failed because the screen/video feed just turned white from the explosion..lame.

I was so looking forward to this too.

I was so looking forward to this too.

So was I.

Camera failed? or project fucked up and all the money was wasted...? Cameras turn white on almost all big exlposions, i think they would have already known this. sounds more like an excuse.

I smell bribe.

If I didn't like Mudkips as much as I really do, I totally would have warned you for that post.

I smell bribe.

If I didn't like Mudkips as much as I really do, I totally would have warned you for that post.

EDIT: NVM