Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

What.cd invites

Recently my ISP has sent me a letter telling me to quit torrenting or face some legal trouble, but I love to torrent. I have started to use Peer Block to block the anti-p2p organizations but it doesn't seem enough to me.

Does anyone have a what.cd invite? I have heard this is probably the greatest music torrent site known to man and I would love to try it out.

If they warned you about to stop torrent-ing, I would stop. You can get big nasty fines and disconnections. Use warez sites to get your pirating fill. They can't get you for just downloading. It is the file sharing and upload limits that they are concerned about.

The thing is I was caught torrenting because I torrented a bad file. They sent me a letter with the movie that I was caught downloading (Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix). If I use a private tracker would this happen?

It won't take care of that problem. They can still infiltrate the private torrents to find out who downloaded what and where. Here is a wiki entry that you might find useful about private trackers,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_tr...rivate_trackers

I myself delete or not accept the tracker files and turn off my upload.

The issue here being that most ISP's are starting to crack down on illegal file sharing. If you are spending tons of time/bandwidth on downloading files from torrents there is no real way to hide that and your ISP will not relent.

Especially if you got a letter from your ISP I would stop ASAP. If they haven't already they can slow your connection speed considerably, or disconnect you all together from their service. That doesn't even include whatever legal ramifications that you could face.

For example, look at that lady from Minnesota that got fined 1.9 million just for sharing 24 songs. Now that it obviously something that doesn't happen that often, but the entertainment industry and ISP's are always trying to make examples out of people.

Alrighty, I'll take the advice and stop my torrenting and I'll move onto other sources to get my pirate fix. Do you guys know if programs like Peer Block or Peer Gaurdian actually do a decent job at blocking out the anti-p2p people?

Well your issue here revolves around your ISP knowing what you are doing. Any blocking software isn't going to really relieve any of that pressure. I can guarantee that your ISP can look past any half-assed software for blocking that's out there.

Couldn'y he just log on someone else's wifi and download from there internet? (If he could)

Yes he could, but why get someone else it trouble? It really sounds to me like uses WAY too much Bandwidth.

It may not be a bandwith issue, because my friend torrented one movie and the guy who made the torrent complained to his ISP and he got a letter in the mail about it. :) And guess who he turns to for movies now?? lol.

I would say it's a good chance they flagged your account/ip, and you should step back for a while.

Try generating some 4096-bit RSA keys, buying a server in a country like Russia going physicly to Russia and putting the private key on it and generating another set of RSA keys there then bring the private key from there and start using that connection. Then like once every week you could regenerate the keys and with the old key send the new private keys and then totally destroy the old private keys by wiping the private keys off the computer.

Try generating some 4096-bit RSA keys, buying a server in a country like Russia going physicly to Russia and putting the private key on it and generating another set of RSA keys there then bring the private key from there and start using that connection. Then like once every week you could regenerate the keys and with the old key send the new private keys and then totally destroy the old private keys by wiping the private keys off the computer.

First of all that is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. You might as well buy the movies yourself. I guess going to Russia would be kinda fun. I hear they have good Vodka . . .

First of all that is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. You might as well buy the movies yourself. I guess going to Russia would be kinda fun. I hear they have good Vodka . . .

Can't you buy Russian Vodka here?

I take it your joking? o.o

Yeah, to sum up what everyone's saying: step away for a while, if not stop completely. They will do bad, bad things if not. >.<

Edited by GhoztMan

Truth is you should stop totally. I am assuming that you are living with your parents still and are underage. You don't want to cause any legal problems for your parents. What I said before stands, and you should try to get service from a different company now under a different name, thing is if you are flagged, every ISP probably knows.

They flagged you because you downloaded a bad torrent. If, as Jordan said, the ISP was all omniscient about what you're downloading then you would've been busted before downloading the bad torrent (assuming you've been torrenting for awhile). If they had some ability to see everyone who was downloading copyrighted material they wouldn't be planting bad torrents in an effort to catch pirates in the first place, they wouldn't need to.

My advice: Just watch what you're downloading. Private trackers are infinitely safer and rapidshare/megaupload are even safer bets.