Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

On-Star, good or bad?

I've heard that On-star is suppose to be implemented in every new vehicle that is going to be produced...

If this is true, do you trust them or not?

I myself do not, because as many people know, it does not take a lot for someone to hack into something if they really want to (or maybe a disgruntled employee?) So why wouldn't someone do it to On-Star? If this has the ability to slow your car down, shut it down and control your radio, whats preventing someone from doing a mass shutdown just for the hell of it?

I don't think its such a great idea myself, but thats just me, what do you think?

I think it's a wonderful idea as long as it's secure and not used for evil. But it's something people can rely on in case of an emergency. It's like paying for internet access. You can get hacked if you piss the right people off. Hell, someone could break into your house and steal your computer anyway. I don't see much of a difference.

Realize that if an employee does control and wreck your car like that there will be severe consequences for that individual and get fired among other things. So unless the person would just love to lose their job and most likely be flagged or some sort that won't really happen. On-Star wouldn't just give controls to cars like that willy-nilly with no security behind it.

On-Star has the power to turn on, turn off, disable, unlock, and slow down vehicles. None of these would actually injure the occupants.

I think On-star is a powerful tool that will change the face of transportation for the good. I seriously doubt that the company would let someone control things unsupervised, and the likleyhood of that happening doesn't seem to high.

As for the ability to actually injure someone, the only thing I can think of is stopping the car in the middle of the highway. Which would get the person fired and carted away to jail most likely.

Edited by GhoztMan

I think it would make political assassinations easier...

Pretty sure government vehicles and secret service vehicles would be military controlled. Not controlled by a private company.

It sounds interesting. It's a good idea.

I'm sure it'll become really reliable.

What I want to know is what part of the car sends/receives the signals? What if that part of the car is wrecked?

Onstar is a private company. You're saying the government(?) is mandating that a company's subscription based paid service to be forcefully put into all new vehicles?

It's a good service, we have it one of the trucks here. We've locked our keys in, and had the car not start, phone phone calls using it and it sends monthly reports on the vehicle; so we get a detailed log of the engine and tire pressure, etc...