Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Re-Skinning StarCraft II Units

This nifty tutorial allows you to re-skin the units in StarCraft II. By that I mean being able to change the color of any unit to your color of choice. Gold zealots running you down? Try rainbow ones!

Tools needed:

-Copy of SC2 Client

-MPQ Editor: http://www.zezula.ne...q/download.html

-Photoshop with the Nvidia plugin for reading .dds files (found http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photosh...ds_plugins.html)

You can use other image editing software if you can find one that will open .dds files but for the purposes of this tutorial I will be using photoshop

Start by making a backup of the SC2 data file ‘StarCraft II/Mods/Liberty.SC2Mod/Base.SC2Assets’ (should be about 2.4 GB)

Now using the MPQ editor you need to open the file you just backed up, it doesn’t have the right file extension but it is in fact a .mpq archive disguised by blizzard, so you’ll need to select ‘all files’ in the open dialog.

----

Within the MPQ open the folder named ‘Textures’ and it opens a list of all the textures used in the game. For this example I am using the zealot. So find the Zealot in the list and extract the file called zealot_diffuse. If you want to edit a different unit just extract the XXXX_Diffuse file of that unit.

diffusefile.jpg

----

Now open up the extracted .dds file in Photoshop and in the dialog box make sure ‘Load using default sizes’ is checked and ‘Load MIP Maps’ is unchecked

opendds.jpg

-----

Edit the skin however you like, for this I have made the zealot a silvery colour to match the stalker.

zealotdiffuse.jpg

----

When you’re done editing, save the file and it should bring up the .dds settings dialog box. You’ll need to save as ‘DXT 5 with interpolated alpha’ and because we didn’t load MIP maps you’ll need to have‘generate MIP maps’ checked.

savingtexture.jpg

----

Now we need to import the new texture back into the MPQ. Go back to the MPQ editor (or re-open it if you closed it) and go to ‘Operations> Add Files’ and add the texture you just created. It will ask to overwrite,just click yes and it will replace the original texture with you edited version.

textureimport.jpg

----

Here’s a pic of the edited zealot in game:

silverzealot.jpg

----

Please note: I did not make this tutorial. I take no credit whatsoever for this tutorial. I am simply the messenger.

Source

This is actually pretty cool. It's amazing how easy it is though.. If you mod things like this can you still play multiplayer?

It would be amazing if you could O_O

I mean think about the personalization? they mentioned icons and avatars available. Maybe this could be like armor customization for halo 3, man I hope they allow this. no selected colors like red or blue, you could do so much thats awesome

I'm not sure as to whether it will be legit in the multiplayer for StarCraft II when it comes out, but for now, it WILL work online, but unless the person your playing with has the same changes, only you will see it. Which is still pretty kick-ass in my opinion. :)

I was really amazed at how easy it is as well, if they do allow this then StarCraft II could gain another star in my opinion (which would make it 14/10 stars now..). :P

EDIT: I just remembered reading this interview about the modding aspects of StarCraft II, and if they uphold the things said in the interview, then I have no doubt mods will be released that allow you to view other peoples changes without having to have them yourself.

Also, for those of you who do not wish to purchase/do not have Photoshop, you can download GIMP (google is your friend) and the .dds plugin here. Just thought to add for those cheapskates out there. :P

I just finished this beautiful rendition of the Protoss Mothership; I feel the color changes and photo filters I applied to the diffusion really capture the purity of it... I couldn't help but share. ^^

MothershipTextureChange.png

stop giving blizzard great ideas for free, give them a teaser and then force 'em to give u free keys :)

ha yeah :)

Yeah, I'll take 5 beta keys for that sentence. :P

I already got a beta key. anyone wonder why we haven't heard from bounder that much anymore? because I sent him to blizzard HQ wearing a blood elf outfit and a note saying do whatever you want.

o.o can i borrow the elf and send him as a undercover second elf?

Damn that toss mothership looks sweet gotta try this on my beta ^^

Yeah, Protoss is really easy to make it awesome, since it already does look it pretty much. Blues, Greens, Whites, and metallic colors work perfectly for them.

when I get a better graphics card I'll do this which will hopefully be soon

Post your creations!!! We should have a contest for the best edited SC2 model. :D

Agreed I want to see more O_o

Sounds fun. Shall we make it an official contest?

a contest you say ;o I see no problem with it

I think we should. It'd be a very interesting new concept.. I think it should be official. R2K, if you would do the honors? ^^

Oh yeah, and a word of warning: Never, never leave the .MPQ editor open with the SC2 MPQ while playing the game...

All I can say is this..

OMG.png

Heh heh heh... I couldn't resist. ^^

BattleCruiserPINK.png

I call 'er... the U.S.S Sissy. <3

If I did this in lieu of a SOTW, who would be up for it?

Haha lets see if a few more people would want to.