Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Router help

Okay so this has been going on for a while now, and it's really irritating.

Every now and then, my router starts lagging insanely. By that I mean my ping rises up to 300, sometimes up to 600-800. Usually my ping is 20-30. >.> I'm assuming it's my router because this affects my itouch and my desktop as well. So I go upstairs, I power-cycle it, and it's fine... For a while. Sometimes it's fine for the rest of the day, other times it starts acting up again within a couple of hours. Help?

Perhaps it's time to consider getting a new router? You could buy one from a store and test it out to see if it fixes the problem and if it doesn't just take the router back and get a refund for it. It could also perhaps be a bad fiber optic cable or even your internet connection. if the router doesn't fix it I would suggest calling your broadband provider and troubleshooting with them to figure out the reason, if they can't fix it over the phone more than likely they will send out an internet maintenance technician who will fix the problem for you. Probably for a small fee less than 100 dollars.

edit: actually since it's a very intermittent problem you'll probably have to inquire about getting someone sent.

Oh darn, I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a new router. This one isn't even that old. Maybe a year? Maybe two years?

Well, you might also try researching your router brand + model number and read up on the associated problems with it to see if it has a history of such things.

Have you tried updating the firmware?

..or doing a hard reset.

A hard reset?

Also, how could I update the firmware? I thought it does that automatically.

I had this same problem man. Is your router password protected? How many computer are on the router?

What it most likely is, is there is a computer with the same IP address as your computer conflicting with your network, causing you to lag ass and/or have no connection. If your router is not password protected, then most likely it's a jackass neighbor so I suggest password protect it..

If it IS password protected, then I suggest flushing your dns and renewing your ip address to obtain a new ip address.

If all else fails, reset your router to factory settings and start over.

Mine has done this before as well, i tried to fix it, but i ended up just getting a new one... i wouldn't struggle with it honestly.

Go UPSTAIRS? Are you sure you are not just too far? Also you seem to be using wireless, wireless is not that stable when you're far away from it. Also a dumb assumption but the microwave can mess with it (doubt that's your issue). Sooo...

You should put password protection on it, and usually everything is fixed by turning things off and on (plugging out and plugging in). If this is not solved, I vote you should get a new router - once I was told the greatest router of all times is Linksys WRT54GL and those series.

I had this same problem man. Is your router password protected? How many computer are on the router?

What it most likely is, is there is a computer with the same IP address as your computer conflicting with your network, causing you to lag ass and/or have no connection. If your router is not password protected, then most likely it's a jackass neighbor so I suggest password protect it..

If it IS password protected, then I suggest flushing your dns and renewing your ip address to obtain a new ip address.

Yeah it's password protected, there are only two computers+an itouch on the router. How do I flush my DNS/renew my IP address?

Go UPSTAIRS? Are you sure you are not just too far? Also you seem to be using wireless, wireless is not that stable when you're far away from it. Also a dumb assumption but the microwave can mess with it (doubt that's your issue). Sooo...

You should put password protection on it, and usually everything is fixed by turning things off and on (plugging out and plugging in). If this is not solved, I vote you should get a new router - once I was told the greatest router of all times is Linksys WRT54GL and those series.

Well I'm in my basement, and the router is literally right above me, on the first floor. There isn't even a door in the staircase. And my house isn't like a mansion, it's just a nice cozy little townhouse. x)

And yeah, I'm using wireless. I think I'll check out that router that you mentioned.

By the way, a lot of comments in many router pages mention flashing my router with third party firmware. Is there anyone who has done this and knows if it would work on my router? I have the DIR 615 C1.

A hard reset?

Also, how could I update the firmware? I thought it does that automatically.

Yeah.. like.. factory reset it so it's like it's a brand new router, and you'll need to go in and redo all the settings.

Yeah it's password protected, there are only two computers+an itouch on the router. How do I flush my DNS/renew my IP address?

Well I'm in my basement, and the router is literally right above me, on the first floor. There isn't even a door in the staircase. And my house isn't like a mansion, it's just a nice cozy little townhouse. x)

And yeah, I'm using wireless. I think I'll check out that router that you mentioned.

By the way, a lot of comments in many router pages mention flashing my router with third party firmware. Is there anyone who has done this and knows if it would work on my router? I have the DIR 615 C1.

Flush DNS and request a new IP address from your ISP server by following these steps.

* Click Start

* Click run

* In the run box type cmd.exe and click OK

* When the command prompt opens type the following. ENTER after each new line.

* ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

exit

The Commands are:

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/renew

Read more: How to Flush DNS and Get New Dynamic IP - How to - TechMynd

Now, I also suggest that sense you are right below it, Go upstairs and point the router's antennas horizontally, and that should boost your signal instantly. Or, put your wireless adapter up higher.

Now if nothing I said has helped, you could try a hard reset. Go to your router and hold the reset button for approximately 30 seconds. Then give it about 1-2 minutes to boot back up.

If none of this helps at all, please contant me

Aim: DatWBoy

Yahoo: DatWBoy

Msn: DatWBoy

I could help you diagnose your problem and most likely fix it.

Okay thanks! And by the way, should I flush my DNS for my desktop or my laptop.

i'd say do both. it only takes like 30 seconds.

let me know if it works.

Edited by plutomic

Yeah my router got a DD-WRT third party firmware and it works like a charm - also it has more options than the default and it's more trustable. :P