Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

SC2 Multiplayer Strategies

Hey you guys I decided to make a Multiplayer strategy topic for anyone interested in new builds and tactics. Feel free to ask any questions! even if it's beating a comp on easy, or dealing with teammates who decide to go cannons for first 7 minutes...with 8 probes.

I'll start. So I primarily play as toss and the only build I do is the four gate and if the game still goes on get Colossus and some high temps which is successful for early pushes and some harassment but I don't know when to expan...ever so any suggestions? Also I'd like to know more build orders any suggestions?

Depending on how your initial push goes, you should do the following:

1. If your push is completely successful and you blow away most of his army, make a pylon near his base and make 2 more gateways (into warpgates) to continue the siege.

2. If your push is moderatly successful, (You kill a lot of units, but you have to retreat because he's still producing many units), then expand immediately and add on 4 more warpgates once you have your expansion saturated. (Go to step 1, minus the two more gateways).

3. If your push fails, return to base and turtle up. Build up your forces then use that army to secure your natural. (Go to step 2)

As for build orders, another popular build is 2gate (usually 3gate) robo, and can be described in detail at the following video:

Another build that's not as common, but still quite useful is NonY's Pheonix build, as described in this video:

I'll list some other Protoss builds I use here (Besides 4gate and 2gate robo):

Zealot Rush:

9 Pylon

9 Probe

9 2x Gateways

10 probe

10 pylon

11 Use Nexus Chrono Boost on Gateway, produce a zealot

12 probe

12 produce 2x zealot, chrono boosted

13 produce pylon and zealots; rush when you have 6-7

PLEASE NOTE: This build is all in. If your initial push fails, it's basically game over unless you can transition into 4gate.

Basic Tech Opener:

9 pylon

13 pylon

13 gateway

15 pylon

17 produce zealot

17 2nd gateway

17 cyber core

21 forge

21 assimilator

21 pylon

(Transition into an immortal or collosi build)

High Econ Opener:

(Assumes constant chronoboosted probes)

9 pylon

12 gateway

14 assimilator

16 pylon

16 zealot (If against Zerg or Protoss, if against Terran skip zealot)

18 cybercore

(transition into 4gate or high tech build)

Void Ray Rush (Not as effective as it used to be; all in build, see note)

9 pylon

11 gateway

13 assimilator

13 cyber core

13 stargate

13 produce void rays

15 2nd stargate

15 2nd assimilator

17 continue to produce VR on both stargates, push with 4-5

(Note: I usually make a forge around 11 as well, a canon or two shall hold you over till you push, but only do so if you spot an early push from the enemy)

ALSO: Scouting is completely nescessary for all these builds. If you see something that directly counters your build, transition into another if possible.

Handy Guides:

Picking a Race

Basic Rules to Live By

Dictionary of Terms

Build Orders

What You Might Not Know

Fundamentals of Macro

Novice Guide to Micro and Macro

Please Note: All of these are available on the StarCraft II Official Forums; I will update this list as I find more guides. Only the best and highest rated will be posted.

Hmm okay thanks the 2 or 3 gate build with colossus or immortals and the high economy build sounds helpful. and yeah nony's build is epic and I love messing around with the phoenix I'm not a fan of it.

Feel free to do so since you do have a youtube account, maybe put Ghoztcraft somewhere in the video as well.

What the hell are you talking about..? It's much less efficient using your mouse compared to the hotkeys. There are hotkeys for almost every action in the game, like in SC1. Do you even have the game? ermm.gif

I should have my video up within the hour.

EDIT: [VIDEO]

Fairly common strategy, although usually you should pump pure marines and save your gas for more tanks. You should post up the exact BO because this was far from executed perfectly and your macro was lacking. (No offense intended no2.gif)

While this is a useful strategy, that toss could've actually broken it if he had chrono'd his immortal and micro'd his stalkers closer to the tanks.The ensuing splash damage would've killed your small MM ball and he could've just sniped the tanks. Either way, this is a viable strategy, although you should usually wait until you have 2 tanks, and a bit more rines.

Fairly common strategy, although usually you should pump pure marines and save your gas for more tanks. You should post up the exact BO because this was far from executed perfectly and your macro was lacking. (No offense intended no2.gif)

While this is a useful strategy, that toss could've actually broken it if he had chrono'd his immortal and micro'd his stalkers closer to the tanks.The ensuing splash damage would've killed your small MM ball and he could've just sniped the tanks. Either way, this is a viable strategy, although you should usually wait until you have 2 tanks, and a bit more rines.

Yeah I should wait longer so he can get more stalkers and possibly a Immortal or two. I didn't macro much because I was distracted at the time.

I use this strat nearly every time against a Protoss or Terran and it works very well.

Yeah I should wait longer so he can get more stalkers and possibly a Immortal or two. I didn't macro much because I was distracted at the time.

I use this strat nearly every time against a Protoss or Terran and it works very well.

Actually, if you had skipped the marauder you probably could've had a second tank out and still push out at the same-ish time. Also, even when you were pushing the Protoss could've Chronoboosted his immortal, since it was no doubt about half way finished (I saw the ob pass over you). Distraction is no excuse for poor macro, imho; you should be constantly checking back at your base and using hotkeys to continually produce units.

But don't take it pesonally, because I'm just criticizing the build itself, and the tendencies which a lot of players have.

I don't know what league your in but in higher leagues this strategy isn't used as much as in Silver/Gold/Low Platinum when it is used it's pretty easy to counter if scouted. I'm not bagging on you personally, just the fact that good macro could improve builds like this a lot, and that the more you use it the more people will know how to counter it.

This is a very common build, and sometimes even used in the higher leagues (See Masq vs IdrA, Game 1) and it's considered cheese by some people. The only thing wrong with cheese is that it's used a lot, and when a build is used a lot, it get's easier and easier to counter it. If you use this nearly every time against Toss and Terran, then perhaps you should look into some more builds once it starts to lose it's effectiveness.

I need to improve on my macro helps ending games faster with those very much needed higher teir units or more gateways for a constant attack

Any Zerg builds I hate toss toss vs

Ha it helps especially when you suck

You just had to be that know it all didn't you Ghoztman.

T.T Guess that's what happens when you immerse yourself in the metagame.

Nowhere have I claimed to be "So Pro". (At least I think so o.o) I'm a high ranking Platinum (Top 10) but by no means does that mean I'm pro. I not even THAT good, I'm just knowledgeable on unit counters, the metagame, and all the statistical sort of stuff.

Besides, what do you want me to make a video OF? If I wanted to make a video of build orders, I would, but to be honest there are tons of other shoutcasters out there that are so much better than me, and they've already made handsome videos about common build orders. No point in making duplicates that are worse.

Touche. But it isn't impossible to come up with something original. There is no wrong or right build order.

Oh, I'm not saying I haven't made anything original. I've created quite a few experimental build that work quite well, but I'm too lazy/never seem to get around to making VODs of them.. I suppose if it's requested, I can. ph34r.gif

Oh thanks ghoztman I appreciate it.

Trev your a terran player right? any common builds youd like to share

Ha okay

Zergling rush ( Yes Speed IS CRUCIAL)

Drones until 10

10 - Extractor (put three Drones on when it finishes)

9 - Drone

10 - Spawning Pool

9 - Overlord

10 - Drone (use him to scout)

11, 12 - Drones

13 - Zergling Speed upgrade (the Pool should finish around now, and this upgrade is CRUCIAL to the rush)

13 - Queen

14, 15, 16 - Zerglings

16 - Overlord

This is the build order I most commonly use. Its purpose is to put the Zerg player at an economic advantage early on.

9 - Overlord

10 - Drone (scout)

15 - Spawning Pool

16 - Drone (rally him to your natural expansion, and build a Hatchery when you can afford it)

16 - Extractor

17 - Hatchery (^^ this Drone)

17 - Overlord

After this phase into what ever you do for your midgame. ( counter what ever you've scouted so far. )

Credits to whoever started these kinds of builds.

I'm going to start playing some Zerg. Simply because they are so cheese.

EDIT: I think I am better off with Terran

I'm going to start playing some Zerg. Simply because they are so cheese.

EDIT: I think I am better off with Terran

By cheese I assume you mean equal to Terran and Protoss? If so I agree.