Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Black Ops!

As we all know last night at Midnight black ops was released. This topic is probably more as a review topic for people who got the game. The reason I make this is i want to know if its actually worth getting or is it just like the other game with a different name ;).

For people that did not know black ops was released...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtRnpC7ddv8

“Call of Duty: Black Ops” has been on sale for almost a day now, meaning players have had ample opportunity to check out the massively popular game from Activision (some have even moved on to unlocking easter eggs). Developed by Treyarch, the game — which retails for $59.99, with few exceptions — is a sequel to their earlier title title in the “Call of Duty” franchise, “World at War,” and the first game set during the Cold War. Demonstrating Treyarch didn’t scrimp on talent,”Black Ops” features the voices of actors Ed Harris, Gary Oldman, Sam Worthington, Ice Cube, and on the female side, Emmanuelle Chriqui.

Here’s a sampling of what video game critics are saying; we’re sure more US writers will be sounding off after they pull themselves away from their screens. Players — if you’ve managed to get a hold of the game, let us know what you think. Do you agree with the early reviews?

* “To put it simply, Call Of Duty: Black Ops is superb. The experience of playing the game, thanks to the modified World At War engine, is comparable to the best in what the franchise has had to offer up until now. The meaty kick of the guns, the blistering pace of the action and the sterling soundtrack of explosions, gunshots and whistling bullets all serve to quicken the player’s pulse and tighten their grip on the controller. Once again, introspective considerations and achievement concerns (at least on the initial playthrough) are dumped to one side as Black Ops’ gameplay plugs directly into the player’s primal need to make it out alive. The controls will be familiar to anyone who has ever played COD (millions of players by the last count) or indeed any shooter in the last ten or so years. The game also earns every ounce of its 18 rating with some particularly grisly violence, although this is confined to the single-player experience.” [Nick Cowen, Telegraph]

* “Call of Duty: Black Ops quite probably represents the pinnacle of the linear military shooter experience – and you wonder where the sub-genre can go from here. Treyarch’s game is exhilarating and beautifully orchestrated, but it feels like a full-stop, it needs to be a full-stop, because toward the end of the campaign, bombardment fatigue begins to set in. As CoD players we have travelled the world, killing people, following orders, hunting down madmen … many of us have had enough. Call of Duty should go out on a high, or at least come back totally re-invented. Perhaps that’s what we’ll get with Modern Warfare 3. But for now, and for the next two-years of multiplayer engagement, revel in this game’s mastery of its well-trodden domain.” [Keith Stuart, Guardian]

* “Of note, though, is that it’s a little less gritty and a bit more theatrical than Treyarch’s Second World War campaigns. Think big, cinematic, over-the-top action sequences. One early mission saw me move from minigun to motorbike to a mounted weapon on a flatbed truck in the space of just a couple of minutes, with the chaos and cacophony rising each second. And each mission seems to want to outdo the last. It’s immersive, action-packed, and enjoyable, but it may not have quite the same emotional impact of Treyarch’s earlier Call of Duty games.” [Chad Sapieha, Globe and Mail]

Source: 'Call of Duty: Black Ops' Review Revue - Speakeasy - WSJ

Edited by Cripp

I don't know if I'll get this. To many CoD games.

Since I own both consoles I'll probably play it on either Xbox Live or PSN. A friend of mine wanted to get it for the PS3 so for now that's what I'm playing it on. And then on another note, my roommate made raptor-pope using the custom decals.

I have it on PC and it is really cool except for the crazy lag in multiplayer.

I heard there was ice camo... im tempted to buy it now :P

Yeah there is an ice camo. It looks sweet. I play on xbox live so if you want to add me my GT is DoG Plasma v2. Make sure you tell me who it is lol. :wasntme:

If Anyone wants to add me my gamer tag is Tmzoids.

I still need someone to tell me if the actual game is worth getting and why? Like stated in my post and from a few others its just another COD game..What makes this one different?

Black ops is okay, on ps3 online graphics suck though...

but damn nazi zombies is modern!

Black ops is okay, on ps3 online graphics suck though...

but damn nazi zombies is modern!

The customization is probably it's key component. I made myself a Razer Decail :3

EDIT: Now it's a swastika :D

150338_1537170347188_1172746856_31300330_5554905_n.jpg

LMAO ^^^^^ The game itself isn't worth the online play because of how unbalance everything is. My advice: Stick with MW2 like most people are doing now.

It's not unbalanced, I get rocked, I rape people, it's all just based on who you're playing. Like right this moment all the nublets are playing since all the decent players are sleeping from the night.

Anyone have pictures of ice camo >_> is it like legit ice or just a color

I'm gonna have to say it.. This game fuckin' sucks. The graphics suck, the multiplayer sucks, and it's awkward as hell to play on the xbox 360. Eff that.

O_o so many mixed opinions. This seems to happen a lot with CoD games though. It my opinion the graphics look more vibrant, gameplay more diverse, and fixed issues MW2 had. But I i'll probably borrow before I buy

I went and paid $30.00 for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I will be playing this until Respawn Entertainment gets their shit together.

My two biggest gripes about this game is the ridiculously retarded respawn. And the horrible knifing system.

Yeeah everybody has Commando Pro and you can respawn directly behind an enemy and vice versa. >.<

Thanks for all the opinions, Looking at it I will ask for it for chrismas and if i dont receive it then im not going the extra mile to go out and get it though.

Off topic. Once again Cripp makes an active live topic....Thank you, thank you.

MW2 had horrible spawn system as well, at least in FFA... And how is knifing bad in Black Ops? (just haven't played)

Ha all spawns in almost every game can be called shitty. I mean yeah MW2 had horrible spawns but can it get any worse?

MW2 had horrible spawn system as well, at least in FFA... And how is knifing bad in Black Ops? (just haven't played)

Well like I said, everyone has Commando Pro now. And you can do the air knife which was known in CoD WaW. You can knife away from someone and still knife them. The spawn system is even worse than that. They tried to hard to fix spawn camping so the spawns are all to hell. You'll find out if you play on a small map.

The spawns are pretty much randomized. There is no proximity detection for spawning. If there is an enemy right next to a spawn point, you can still spawn in next to them.

That was broken in MW2 too... Maybe not as bad?