Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Revamp old Computer

Hey guys, as you can see from the topic its time to update my computer yet again.... Anyways I need to get a new motherboard and processor. The current Mother board that i own really doesnt support the cpu i am looking for. Currently I am running Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU @ 2.40 Ghz with a Biostar T seriesModel TP43D2-A7 Mother board. From the research I did i only found one cpu that is Quad core that can be supported on this mobo...

What I am looking for is a new mother board I am thinking about going AMD now. That supports Quad core or better and also support this kind of video card if possible.. the Ati Radeon Sapphire 1 GB GDDR3 Video card. (Radeon HD 4850)..

That being said If i can't find a AMD board that supports this kind of video card then please post an equivalent or better video card that can go with my new set up. Also the places that i will be shopping from most likely is newegg and Micro Center - Computers, Electronics, Computer Parts, Networking, Gaming, Software, and more!

I already found a processor that i like... Which can be found here. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325874. The most trouble I am having is finding a board with it right now. But all post are appreciated board and processors! :D

Edited by Cripp
  • Downvote 1

How much does that graphics card cost?

I dont remember... thats what i have in my computer now. I am just looking to update my Mother board and CPU....But If i have to change my video card so its all compatible i will.

Edited by Cripp

Hmm I've been looking for a graphics card as well. However have you tried ebay or amazon? or are you seriously just looking for a board in general that can handle everything?

Well guys, if your going to be getting a new graphics card, your most likely going to need a new power supply too. Any graphics card your likely to buy is going to require an external power supply.. and most of them take between 150 and 250 watts of power. Add that to the increase in energy consumption from a cpu like a quad core ( i think thats like 115 watts) your looking at a significant increase in computer power consumption.

If you make room for 2 graphics cards, you can end up with an extra 500 watts of power consumption, which would necessitate at least a 900 watt power supply (you always want to give yourself some room)

If your buying a new mobo, your probably going to want to buy one that has at least 5 PCI-E slots,), and built in USB 3.0 would be good too (although you can buy a PCI-E card for it for like 40 dollars) Definitely dont buy one that supports anything less than 8 gigs of ram though.

A computer is only as fast as its slowest component, and without raid you will be limited by the speed of your hard drive. Past a 2.5ghz processor and 4 gigs of ddr2, a single 7200 rpm hard drive wont be able to keep up anyways, especially if you overclock.

Another option instead of raid, is to get a solid state drive, and install your OS and programs that your going to run on that, and then put in like a 1TB slave for all your files. Those solid states are pretty fast, although to be honest, ive never actually had one myself so i dont know how it would compare to raid, plus they are expensive. If your running windows7, you will need at least a 200 gig hard drive (games can take up a LOT of space) if not 250 gig, and they run like 4-7 hundred dollars, depending on how big it is. If you run a gaming linux distrobution, like gentoox or something, you will need a fraction of the space and could instead use a 100gb solid state, which only costs 300 or so. (which is actually cheaper than raid considering you need 4+ hard drives, a good raid controller by itself is 250 dollars, + the cost of several low data failure rate hard drives) Add to that the extra power consumption of running several hard drives.. it gets a little spendy

Oh, i almost forgot, if your going to be buying a new power supply, be careful to buy one thats way above what you need, a lot of these power supplies will say "500 watt", but thats only at their maximum and they cant maintain that consistently without damaging your system. Try to get one thats 80% energy efficient+ too, and dont forget to buy some arctic silver thermal compound for your new cpu, especially if your planning to overclock. (it takes the temp down like 10C from just about anything else)

• Like 2

+rep BroKeNBoX

...suicide.gif

I know speedy, its expensive and complicated to build a computer. The thing is that ddr3 and multi-core processors arnt that important when it comes to running games. That stuff is best used for servers and database stuff.

A 4ghz dual core processor with 6gb of ddr2 will run anything under the sun with ease. The rest is up to the graphics card anyways, my suggestion is if you guys are only going to play games, is just get a good graphics card and a fast processor.. and if you can manage it, try to overclock your ram and your buses.

If your going to go for super multi-threading ddr3 technology, your going to be dishing out the big bucks for essentially something you dont really need anyways.

When choosing a graphics card, you should always choose at least 3 steps above whatever games you are intending to play..

Some general rules though

When selecting a processor, make sure to get one with a high cache.

When selecting ram, try to select faster ram, the higher, the better. (as long as your mobo supports it)

When it comes to graphics cards, its more important how fast it can process memory than it is how good the depth shading and other stuff is.