Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Does this work?

So my friend made a "virus" on notepad, saved it as a .BAT file, but he doesn't know if it would work as he intended.

Here's the code:

shutdown -s -f

MOVE /Y ello.bat "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"

@echo off

:create

cd C:\
md %random%

GOTO create

He claims it "[19:57] Phillip K: makes the computer shut down

[19:57] Phillip K: then moves itself into the startup folder

[19:57] Phillip K: then makes useless files in the C:\ drive" and turns off your computer when you turn it on.

So for obvious reasons, we don't wanna test it. Would it work?

Well 1 its not a virus.

2 if im not mistaken shutdown command gives you time before your computer shuts down. therefor you could counter the shutdown -s -f by opening "Run" and using shutdown -A . rendering it useless. However... if the script made windows auto shutdown it would be a bit of a pain to counter unless your fast with a keyboard and mouse...

In the end... its just annoying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Windows Vista and Windows 7 creating and moving files into the C:\ directory can't be done without Administrator privileges.

The -f however forces all currently running programs to close without notifying the user, making any attempts to abort the shutdown process extremely difficult. (This more than likely terminates explorer.exe as well)

While Viper is right about -f not giving any time to execute, you stop this by simply going into Safemode. And I do believe this won't work as well on Vista or Windows 7 for the admin rights like Ghoztman said. I think it would pop up the "Allow/Disallow" notification. Either way Safemode would still stop it.

I made this in a computer security class a few years ago as an assignment lol