Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Internet issues X_x

Hello everyone I have a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to. So I have a laptop running on vista. every time I use my computer it says I'm fully connected to the internet and should be able to get online. However when I attempted to open any of my internet browsers they either don't open or stay on a white screen. This is only happening on my laptop so I know it's the problem. I've done the repair feature but it detects no problems.

So short overview says i'm connected but I can't get online.

Hello everyone I have a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to. So I have a laptop running on vista. every time I use my computer it says I'm fully connected to the internet and should be able to get online. However when I attempted to open any of my internet browsers they either don't open or stay on a white screen. This is only happening on my laptop so I know it's the problem. I've done the repair feature but it detects no problems.

So short overview says i'm connected but I can't get online.

There's your problem.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

If you're not gonna help him don't post...

• Like 1

Check your Proxy settings. If they are set to anything other than being disabled, your laptop might be attempting to use them and failing. You can get to them via the internet options.

(Assuming your using a wireless router) If your proxy settings aren't the problem, try to check if your router is sending packets to your computer, if not that is definitely the problem. Also.... (This will sound kinda dumb) Do a fucking virus scan... my friends computer was doing the same thing, turns out after I did an AVG scan he had 36 Trojans.... and they were blocking his internet access....

Trying going to command prompt and doing

Ping -T Google.com

if you get responses its probably proxy settings or a virus of some sort.

Can you access anything else that requires Internet connectivity or is it just your browser?

Check your Proxy settings. If they are set to anything other than being disabled, your laptop might be attempting to use them and failing. You can get to them via the internet options.

You know Viper,

This happens more than people like to admit.

I agree with you that his internet settings are set to connect to a proxy whilst he has none to connect to.

If you still need help send me a PM or msg on MSN.

I love fixing crap.

Also, Vista is terrible.

Exactly how old is your computer anyways?

The last time I saw this happen was when someone downloaded those old Anti-Virus 2009 stuffs. It sets proxy settings to 172.0.0.0 type addresses so the connection was effectively disabled for most computer illiterate people. The catch?

Restart the computer in safe mode, and then look in the task manager's process list. Look for random lettered processes and open their locations (Right click > Open File Location) Then end the process. You could then delete the files without them shutting off the task manager.

After that you just had to change the proxy settings back to normal and restart the computer. A simple virus scan with a legit scanner after that would ensure any other stuff on the computer was cleaned out, and it was fixed in less than ten minutes.

I don't see why you need safe mode when you can just do a start up scan but to each their own right?

What browser are you using? If IE sounds like a bad plugin, right click the E icon on the desktop. If it's a real IE icon it will let you choose Internet Options, in IE8 click the Advanced Tab, at the bottom click reset. Check the box for personal and click OK. Post Results.

This very nice POS laptop is about 3 years old and has been giving me issues and I plan on getting a new one. however I need the laptop for when Ieave for italy this weekend.Also it's not the proxy problem, and the reset didn't do anything. I bet it's viruses because conveniently now my anti virus has expired

And nothing, not a single program can connect to the internet on my laptop

Are you connecting to the internet via a LAN cable or wirelessly?

Wirelessly why do you ask?

check to make sure your router is sending your computer packets. oh and do a ping -t yahoo.com and see if you get any responses

Believe it or not I think the expired anti virus was denying me access because right when I uninstalled it I could get back on the internet no problem.

SO problems fixed thanks you guys

~Topic closed so it doesn't get necro'd