Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Play Station Lovers

Sony Comes Clean: PlayStation Network Hackers Have Stolen Personal Data

Brian Crecente — Sony Comes Clean: PlayStation Network Hackers Have Stolen Personal Data A security breach in the Playstation Network by still unidentified hackers resulted in stolen personal information, Sony confirmed today.

Sony says while personal information was likely stolen they don't believe credit card numbers were and that they hope to have the Playstation Network service back up within a week.

The news comes more than nine days after the intrusion and six days after Sony shut down both the Playstation Network and Qriocity services in reaction to the breach. Sony says they've hired a "recognized security firm" to conduct a complete investigation into what happened and have taken steps to enhance security and strengthen network infrastructure.

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network," Patrick Seybold, senior director of corporate communications for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, wrote on the official Playstation Blog today.

Among the possible information stolen:

* Name

* Address (city, state, zip)

* Country

* Email address

* Birthdate

* PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login and handle/PSN online ID.

"While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken," writes Seybold, "we cannot rule out the possibility."

"If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained," Seybold continues.

Sony is encouraging users to be especially aware of potential phishing scams from people using email, phone calls and mail to try and extract more personal or sensitive information from you. Sony also is strongly recommending that you change you password once you're able to log back into the Playstation Network.

"To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports," Seybold wrote

"We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions."

Link ChevronUpdate on PlayStation Network and Qriocity [Playstation.com]

See Also

Despite Reports, No Arrest Yet in Playstation Network Outage

No arrests have been made connected to the Playstation outage, Kotaku has confirmed, despite a story making the rounds that claims FBI and others have issues warrants and made arrests.

Speaking to the FBI this morning, Kotaku confirmed there have been no arrests in the U.S.

The story, which seemed... More »

Sony Says It Didn't Know Severity Of PS3 Breach Until Monday

While Sony discovered that hackers had broken into their Playstation Network on April 19, it wasn't until nearly a week later that the company understood the full scope of the breach, a Sony official tells Kotaku.

The company learned that customer data was stolen on Monday, only after an outside... More »

U.S. Senator Demands Answers From Sony Over PlayStation Network Data Breach

United States senator Richard Blumenthal is hopping mad-or in his words, "troubled"-by the lack of clear and timely communication from Sony over last week's PlayStation Network "intrusion." And he's got the sternly worded letter to prove it.

The attack on Sony's PlayStation Network and... More »

Everything You Need To Know About The PlayStation Network Outage

It has been almost a week since Playstation Network went offline because of an external intrusion.

Since Sony's still relatively quiet on the details of what happened and how it will impact us. More »

PlayStation Network Shoplifting May Have Taken PS3 Offline & Other Less Believable Theories

Why is the PlayStation Network still offline? Sony Computer Entertainment America will only cop to an unnervingly vague "external intrusion on our system," leading those affected by and those taking delight in PSN's problems to generate their own theories about the disruption that's now six days... More »

Sony Doesn't Know Yet If Your Credit Card Number Was Stolen

Sony has not yet determined if the personal information or credit card numbers of users on the still-offline Playstation Network have been stolen, according to a Sony spokesman.

Sony Computer Entertainment is conducting "thorough investigation" into the outage, Satoshi Fukuoka, a spokesman for Sony... More »

Source: http://kotaku.com/#!5795913/sony-comes-clean-playstation-network-hackers-have-stolen-personal-data

I know there are a few playstation players out there.... But from what I heard Anonymous was trying to make sony online gaming free. Most likely who ever is affected by this will be getting a call from sony telling you "hide your numbers, change your pass, and your retarded if you same password for everything"

I herd about this on a radio a few days ago. Does anyone know if there's going to be a class action suite? I know a tun of people have already been getting new credit cards.

I know there are a few playstation players out there.... But from what I heard Anonymous was trying to make sony online gaming free.

Wait, what?

I know there are a few playstation players out there.... But from what I heard Anonymous was trying to make sony online gaming free. Most likely who ever is affected by this will be getting a call from sony telling you "hide your numbers, change your pass, and your retarded if you same password for everything"

Could not...comprehend... :S

...PlayStation Network was already free, wasn't it? The first thing you said didn't make sense, and the second thing you said is redundant with the quoted article in the original post. o.0

Kinda sucks for Sony, they're gonna lose a lot of rep for this and this is the last straw for a lot of PS3 users.

I guess this is just another reason why it's nice to have both systems. It's like having both sides of the fence, the grass is always some shade of green.

• Like 1

I say this was all microsoft's doing. They hacked the playstation network. This will bring more people over to xbox generating... some profit.

Personally, I think it was a matter of time, lets face it; with a free gaming network (PSN) there are obviously going to be more security issues than if users had to pay for the network (XBL) (also i know live silver is free but im talking about actually playing) Lets face it PSN makes WAY less than XBL... therefor they wouldn't "have the money" to beef up security for the hell of it

True. xbox has good security. you don't hear much about mods for the 360 as much as you do for the PS3

Yeah, apparently Sony doesn't even encrypt the account data/personal information and their 'secure' transactions only use standard Secure Socket Layering (as opposed to external encryption) which is just end-to-end. Problem? trollface.jpg

Source

Also, they are saying that it should be up this Wednesday.

“However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.”

It sure as hell better be secure. >.>

I am just relaying on what i read. That who hacked them am i correct?

I am just relaying on what i read. That who hacked them am i correct?

At this point, I'm pretty sure whatever you heard was inaccurate in some way.

The story seem to change everyday when they were talking about PSN being down

SatireWire has some funny stuff.

As the Sony situation goes, you can't really blame them for being hacked. You can complain about how they got the news to the users, but how were they supposed to prevent from being hacked? Also most companies aren't really that forthcoming about attacks that affect user information. This has happened to systems of many big companies, and hackers constantly intrude government servers, online retailers, banks and many other sensitive systems. If a group of well funded, and skillful hackers want to get into your system, they will. No Sever is truly "hack proof" To say something like this couldn't happen to Microsoft's network is VERY short sighted. Why would you assume that because someone "pays" money to them that it's somehow more secure? That really makes no sense. Many banking websites are hacked constantly with big hacking organizations skimming millions from them. Why do you think that happens? Do you think that their severs are somehow less secure than Microsoft's too? Even though they are all regulated by their federal governments?

What this should really tell people is that they should be very careful with their personal, and financial information online. I buy point cards, or use a prepaid credit card for purchases online. These are much easier to use, and you don't have to worry about fraud.

As the Sony situation goes, you can't really blame them for being hacked. You can complain about how they got the news to the users, but how were they supposed to prevent from being hacked? Also most companies aren't really that forthcoming about attacks that affect user information. This has happened to systems of many big companies, and hackers constantly intrude government servers, online retailers, banks and many other sensitive systems. If a group of well funded, and skillful hackers want to get into your system, they will. No Sever is truly "hack proof" To say something like this couldn't happen to Microsoft's network is VERY short sighted. Why would you assume that because someone "pays" money to them that it's somehow more secure? That really makes no sense. Many banking websites are hacked constantly with big hacking organizations skimming millions from them. Why do you think that happens? Do you think that their severs are somehow less secure than Microsoft's too? Even though they are all regulated by their federal governments?

What this should really tell people is that they should be very careful with their personal, and financial information online. I buy point cards, or use a prepaid credit card for purchases online. These are much easier to use, and you don't have to worry about fraud.

Very well written post there. Bouncing off the bank thing, I believe like a month or two before this Sony shit, Bank of America too a HUGH hit from a bad hack attack. I am just really amazed how far technology has come and how powerful it has become. In my eyes its truly amazing that these hackers (Anon or not) can take down big names like Sony and Bank of America, etc.

I think it was a matter of time too

oh, I am out. I never heard this news