Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

E3 2011

Can't believe a thread like this hasn't been created yet. I'm disappointed guys. Anyways, down to business.

Sony

Playstation Vita

The Vita will be the successor to the PSP. It offers the usual buttons to the PSP, dual analog sticks, a directional pad, and your usual four buttons. It now has a touch screen, along with a touch pad in the back. It has 6 axis motion detection, as well as cameras on the front and back for augmented reality games. The Vita will come in two models, a wifi-only and a wifi/3G model, $249, and $299 respectively.

No news was given about newer models coming with 4G enabled connections, but Sony announced that it was partnering exclusively with AT&T to power it's 3G enabled features for the Vita.

[source: CNET]

Playstation TV

The PSTV is 24 inches, and comes 3D enabled. However, it will allow for 2 player gaming using the same monitor. Because of the nature of 3D viewing, displays must generate a separate image for each eye. To allow two player gaming using the same monitor, the PSTV generates a separate image for each player. The only drawback to this, is the monitor cannot display 3D to both players, because it uses one image for one player and the other image for the second player. The PSTV comes with two sets of HD A/V ports, as well as 2 HDMI ports, to allow two systems to connect to the same monitor. This will allow the PSTV to work with any game system currently on the market. Prices for the PSTV have not been released, though it will be included with a bundle package that includes a PS3, two HDMI cables, active shutter glasses and a copy of Resistance 3 for $499. Activeshutter Glasses will sell for $69 each.

[source:

]

Nintendo

Wii U

Nintendo announced the release of it's successor to the Wii, the Wii U. The main feature of this new system, is the handheld. To put it bluntly, this handheld is basically the combination of a DS with a pair of Wiimotes. If you currently own a Wii, don't fret, the Wiimotes will still be compatible with the new system. The touchscreen allows for DS like play when it comes to playing games on your TV, and also allows for lots of mini games on the actual portal screen. You can even trade off playing your games from the TV to your handheld. Nintendo has not set a release date for the new system, though it will come out later next year.

[source:

]

Microsoft

Microsoft has not announced any new technologies this year. Because they've already released their new technology with the Kinect, they're just waiting for the games to catch up and make use of it. And they have. For Microsoft, it's a bunch of new games that have made their mark for Microsoft's press release for this year's E3 Conference.

Everyone's heard of this game, and many of us are very excited in the next installment of the Modern Warfare series. For those of us who haven't seen the trailer for this game, go watch it! Shortly after the east coast of the US is invaded, Modern Warfare 3 takes you on an adventure to save the world from another world war.

This year is Halo's 10th year anniversary, so to commemorate that, 343 Industries has recreated the original Halo: Combat Evolved, and spruced it up a bit. Recreating every single level from the original campaign, as well as adding in new content for players to discover, revisit the game that started it all.

Battlefield 3 is the most realistic first person shooter I've ever seen. It appears to be based on a present day conflict, Battlefield 3 places you in a variety of different positions of warfare, from the usual first person shooter, to driving tanks and aircraft. And all of it looking as real as possible. I recommend checking it's trailer out as it's all in-game video.

This next edition of Ghost Recon gives us the extra boost of Kinect enabled gaming. You can use the kinect to test run your weapons (Though that's about as far as I'd take shooting my weapon) as well as speeding up optimizing and customizing your weapons. If you want to see the game play videos for the kinect, click here.

The Run looks like it will be based on a story rather than mission game play. This will let players get involved with the storyline and become attached to their character. This points towards a much more involved game rather than the hot pursuit series as of late. Showing much more improved game play (No magic turn button) this game looks like it will be the new standard for need for speed games.

Forza has been about realistic car simulation. And Forza 4 doesn't look like it will disappoint anyone. I've shown it's trailer to lots of people, and for those that didn't know what Forza was, they thought they were watching some video about cars. Until they realized that it was for a video game. Forza 4, if it will be similar to the earlier installments, will be mission based, meaning it's got no storyline. Just amazing looking cars and realistic game play with very advanced car customization features.

Another major announcement for Microsoft's press release, Halo 4, now being created by 343 Industries, will be a continuation of the story from Halo 3. I'm totally hoping that this will answer questions created by the book Ghosts of Onyx, as well as things left hanging in Halo Wars.

Kinect Sports was the Nintendo equivalent of Wii Sports. Though no controllers were involved, it was one of the first games made entirely for the Kinect, and it was extremely fun. Kinect Sports Season 2 will introduce more games for players to play with, and will also show off the Kinect's sensitivity in detecting all ten of your fingers (Assuming you have all ten fingers to play with).

Dance Central was the biggest dancing game created for the Kinect, and Dance Central 2 is finally here. Introducing even more moves and music to groove to, the fun won't stop here. And now that you can port all the songs from Dance Central 1, you can still have fun with your old favorites with a new game.

• Like 3

Yeah, I personally haven't been keeping up.

The only thing I really knew about regarding the E3 is Mass Effect 3.

And that appears to be frickin' epic. :D

In fact, beyond epic.

Oh yeah that's another awesome Kinect enabled game :o You can use voice commands to order your partners to do what you need them to do, as well as use voice commands to choose dialogue when talking to people.

I just finished Finals yesterday and was partying all last night and relaxing today. I'll be updating 1337 h4x and making topics tomorrow.

Thanks for the coverage! :D

Great post here, I am glad someone is keeping up with the gaming news still. Honestly doesnt surprise me that sony "claims" a 3d tv..... The kinect is getting bigger and better and im sure its going to have flaws but its getting there.... for the Wii.... Sigh.

I'm beyond curious about how well halo 4 will work out.

Great post here, I am glad someone is keeping up with the gaming news still. Honestly doesnt surprise me that sony "claims" a 3d tv..... The kinect is getting bigger and better and im sure its going to have flaws but its getting there.... for the Wii.... Sigh.

Sony is still the leader in pushing 3D technology into people's homes. And 3D tech beyond just 3DS type screens. Sony wants our home entertainment systems to be 3D enabled. And what they did for the Playstation TV is pretty unique. Instead of offering only 3D, they've taken it a step further and allowed for two people to use the exact same screen, at the same time.

Can someone explain the two people using the same screen? I don't really understand.

All I know is split screen without splitting the screen.

3D TVs work by displaying images on the screen at 240 Hz, or 240 frames per second. Normal TVs nowadays display them at just 120 Hz, and computer monitors display things at 60 Hz, just to give you an idea of how fast these TVs are now. The active shutter glasses used with many 3D TVs shutter at 120 Hz, dividing 240 Hz in half. Each glasses shutters each eye at a time, so each eye gets a different image from what's displayed on the screen. So in reality, the images on the screen are refreshing at 120 Hz, since you have two images being refreshed in an alternating fashion.

To get 3D out of all this craziness, each eye needs to have a different image coming from a different angle. Because in reality, your eyes are a couple of inches apart, thus they perceive everything at slightly differing angles. What a 3D TV does, is with help from the active shutter glasses, display to each eye a different image from different angles to achieve a 3D effect.

This two people using the same screen is basically like both of your eyes. Each eye gets a different image, translating to each person gets a different image.

Woot Woot :D

Can't wait for Halo 4.

EDIT: I wish it was Holiday 2011 D:<

Edited by Timmy1