Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Hurricane Irene

So Hurricane Irene is projected to come ashore somewhere along the NC coast Friday or Saturday. What will you be doing for the special occasion?

Hurricane Irene Info

map_tropprjpath09_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

strm9_tropw_720x486.jpg

HurTrack2.gif

5L.jpg

Well I plan on not going east and staying in Utah. but in all seriousness I hope for minimal damage and that as many people as possible are safe and have good insurance... or that they invested in any hurricane insurance.

I'll be within 100 miles of the Hurricane's eye as it makes landfall in North Carolina. I'm going to have an interesting weekend...

*sigh* I wish it would hit Texas so we would finally get some freaking rain >.>

That is a good thing about England, we don't get hurricanes and such, still, my heart goes out to the families that have been destroyed by other hurricanes. And I wish everyone the best for this one,

Edited by <3.

That is a good thing about England, we don't get hurricanes and such, still, my heart goes out to the families that have been destroyed by other hurricanes. And I wish everyone the best for this one, :cookie?:

That actually sounded pretty nice and unselfish and very mature until you added the smiley at the end . . .

Smiley faces do that

*Fixed*, thought it would suit the post, obviously not...

They still suck the emphasis out of the post, as such.

Well, so far the rain keeps breaking up before it gets to my location. The more serious bands are approaching though.

Good luck, what mph is Cat 2?

New York City will come to a standstill tomorrow as Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office said it will shut down the entire train and bus system at noon Saturday as Hurricane Irene moves up the east coast.

In a press conference Friday, Bloomberg warned that service may not be restored in time for the Monday morning commute.

He said: 'There is no question that we're going to get hit with some wind and high water that is going to be dangerous.'

MTA chairman Jay Walder added : 'I cannot stress enough: please do not wait for the last train, and if you don’t need to travel, please don't.'

Commute woes: Mayor Michael Bloomberg warned that subway and bus service may not be restored in time for the Monday morning commute

SHUTDOWN: The MTA will shut down the city's subway and bus system at noon Saturday as Hurricane Irene moves up the east coast

Eye in the sky: A NOAA P-3 Orion turboprop, which photographs hurricanes from above, on the tarmac in Tampa, Florida on Tuesday

New Jersey Transit followed suit as the Garden State announced it would shut down its public transit system as well.

As the storm swirls in the Atlantic, Americans are warned to start preparing for travel chaos after airlines began to cancel flights and get planes out of the way in preparation for the storm's entrance onto the U.S. mainland.

The storm has forced hundreds of flights to be cancelled over this weekend and while those in East Coast areas will be immediately affected, delays could ripple across the country.

JetBlue became the first major airline today to alter its schedule as Hurricane Irene approaches the East Coast.

The airline cancelled 882 flights from Saturday through Monday, mostly at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and in Boston, Bloomberg reported.

The announcement came after American Airlines and its American Eagle affiliate, with an extensive network in the Caribbean, cancelled 126 flights on Thursday.

More...

Weddings postponed, sports events cancelled... but the show still goes on for Broadway as Irene wreaks havoc on one of summer's last weekends

Manhattan braced for direct hit from Hurricane Irene as city faces flooding, paralysed transport and skyscraper damage

Earthquake? Get over it! West Coast pokes fun at East Coast for 'overreaction' to 5.8 shock with hilarious virals

Two tourists killed by heat stroke after getting out of car to go for help in California desert

Hurricane Irene: Find the latest travel advice for British holidaymakers visiting the U.S.

Most were in the Bahamas and south Florida, including Miami, a jumping-off spot for flights to the Caribbean and Latin America.

Delta Air Lines reported four cancellations yesterday, and United just one.

It is expected that other airlines are going to follow JetBlue. Airlines have already begun allowing travellers to change flights without paying the usual financial penalties.

Even before Irene's arrival, unrelated thunderstorms were causing delays of up to two hours today at major airports in the New York and Washington areas, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2030220/Hurricane-Irene-path-2011-New-York-City-SHUTS-DOWN-transportation-system.html#ixzz1WAEjPyXm

Read More Here.

So New York is preparing already, what precautions are you guys taking?

Edited by <3.

Most of eastern North Carolina has already evacuated further inland or to evac shelters. This base is still being staffed though it's only on an emergency response basis.

rofl the ERT might have their work out on this one huh Viper :thumbsup:

Right now I'm starting to think Irene was just a push over.

Cat 2 isn't so bad, still, never underestimate shit like this...

It's currently projected to make initial landfall in North Carolina a few miles from Morehead City. From there it will continue heading north through Eastern Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and barrel through New York City. After that it will keep on going through Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, and continue into Canada as a tropical storm/depression. It's basically going to hit every single state on the East Coast north of South Carolina. Putting Metropolitan areas like DC, New York, and Boston right in the path of some destructive weather.

Yeah, even if it isn't that big, anything like that going through NY and DC is bound to be trouble.

As of late, the winds have been picking up rapidly, and the rain is now pouring in a constant sheet. It's finally starting to look like an actual storm.

Good luck to you and all in line of the hurricane. Stay safe.

pictures out of curiosity? don't go outside though... not saying your one of THOSE people who will do a dumb thing. but yeah I'm curious to see

Unfortunately it's night time and it's dark outside. Pictures won't be very "bright." At the most you'll see is dim streetlights through the rain. I was taking time lapse photos of the storm earlier today, but unfortunately it pretty much stayed extremely humid with the occasional sprinkle and that was it. The action didn't start until after dark. So I was pretty much taking photos every 15 minutes or so for nothing.

I must admit, I'd be interested in some shots to, we never get hurricanes or such here in the U.K, all we get is temperature barely above freezing all year round, kinda boring, actually.

Well the wind is extremely strong right now and the rain is moderate. It's getting whipped up by the winds though, so it seems like it's pouring when it really isn't. Power's out in this building, went out earlier this morning. We're running off of generators though, so it's all good.