Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

I can haz Helps?

6 members have voted

1. 1. Am I good?

• Very much so.
    • Your Ok...
    • No, And here's why. (Reply)
    • NO! YOU SUCK! GTFO OFF THE ART BOARDS!
  2. 2. Should I do requests?

So, I've been working on signatures for a while, And I'm wonder if someone can help me improve. I know we have a lot of talented Graphic Guys here, so I gotta know if I can get better.

This is my lates work:

d44u85e.png

This image has no real focal point. My eyes were drawn to the horribly blended text before I noticed that you had in fact, included Sora in the right side of the image. And even at that, Sora doesn't stand out at all, being far too transparent. All you see is black on yellow with grey text for the most part.

Some basic art tips:

Rule of thirds, any image, whether it was a photograph, or a siggy is able to be split into thirds. Your focal point, is generally in the center of the image, after you've split it into thirds.

Focal point, this is generally the place you want to draw everyone's attention to. Usually this is the main object or area of your image. You want to build your image around your focal point.

Colors, consult the color wheel for contrasting and complimentary colors. It actually helps out when trying to choose a color scheme. This will have less of an effect if you are doing something abstract, but in general, the color wheel will help you out a great deal.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind next time :)

The rule of thirds is extremely important in choosing the focal point!

And I think you should work on signatures with less/smaller words, to improve on the graphics, before you start adding text.

I would recommend either changing the gradient color of the background or make Sora a bit less transparent and the text a darker color so it would show a bit more.

I would recommend either changing the gradient color of the background or make Sora a bit less transparent and the text a darker color so it would show a bit more.

And I think you should work on signatures with less/smaller words, to improve on the graphics, before you start adding text.

A question, Should my focal point be either

Left-Center-Right?

Or always Center?

And @Momo, I found the text clear. People are saying it's Too noticeable.

Your focal point depends completely on your image. It all depends on what you want your image to look like.

Take this image for example:

stock1.jpg

The mountain peak is the focal point, you can tell because of it's positioning. If you divide the image into thirds, you have the picture split into sky, mountain/forest, and grass. The sky and grass are generally all the same color, the mountain and forest however is not. The grass sort of blends into the forest though, which makes the mountain stand out against the sky. Thus, your eyes naturally flow towards the mountain.

Hello Again, I've made another Signature, This time keeping Focal points in mind.

Going with a Horizontal Set of Points, I chose the Right-Most area as my focal point.

hw6q70f.png

(P.S: This Siggy is based off of Quote From cavestory.)

Edited by MCMo

A question, Should my focal point be either

Left-Center-Right?

Or always Center?

And @Momo, I found the text clear. People are saying it's Too noticeable.

You should generally pick the left or the right side. Here is a tutorial that I posted in the graphics tutorial section that covers rule of thirds fairly well.

Hello Again, I've made another Signature, This time keeping Focal points in mind.

Going with a Horizontal Set of Points, I chose the Right-Most area as my focal point.

(P.S: This Siggy is based off of Quote From cavestory.)

I don't see the new signature.

Yeah, where is the new signature, you told me at school that you made a new one.

Crap, Sorry, URL was broken. I fixed it Nao though :D

Erm... Your new one looks roughly the same in overall design as the first one. Aside from the fact that it's of a more appealing aspect ratio, I can basically apply everything I said about the first one to this one aside from the color scheme. They blend together a bit more making things stand out more easily.

Aside from the good tips already stated, I'd suggest using different fonts than the default ones, most of them look quite unprofessional in a graphic. You can search on dafont.com or similiar for nice looking ones that flow with your image.

If you're going to include text, make sure it is positioned in an interesting fashion instead of just floating, or if it is floating have it interact in some way with the background. If you want your text to be a focal point, than make it stand out more, if not, make it smaller and not as noticeable.

A ratio for signatures that I've found looks good starts with 450x150 or 500x200 and moves up.

Crap, Sorry, URL was broken. I fixed it Nao though :D

McMo, I think you should avoid text for now. If you insist on putting text, maybe put something small like your username just in the bottom corner. Typography is a whole other lesson to learn, and you should focus on just your photoshop first. :)

I think you definitely did improve already. It's more aligned to the rule of thirds, and your character is more visible. However, it's still not as focused. I suggest moving him over a bit, lining up his eye with the line down the third. Also, it may be the render itself, but the image is very blurry.

I like the colors of the background, but your text shouldn't be gray. You have a very warm, red theme going on, and the gray just kind of doesn't do it justice. Look at the text in my signatures, or ghoztman. Notice how the text blends in so well as to almost be a part of the image itself. Part of that is color choice, but the other part is placement choice. Where we place the text in our signatures is very deliberate. We don't just place it in any available slot. Consider these things when placing your text.

1) Will the placement of the text make people look away from the main focus of the image? Notice how in my second signature and Ghoztman's signature, the text is placed near the focus of the image, in order to highlight it.

2) Is the color of the text going to match up with the color scheme? You want a fine balance of color. On one hand, you don't want your color to be a color that harms the rest of your signature, but on the other hand, you don't want the color to be so close to the background that the text gets hard to read. It's all about the in between.

I hope that you checked out the hyperlinks I listed above! Reading through that tutorial and a couple others should help immensely.

Take a look at my siggy if you'd like a reference point on where to begin. It's laid out similar to yours where the text is on the side of your main focus.

Viper%20Sig%2001.png

Cool one Viper!

I had an Attempt at Johnny Gat, Following most of the Ideas given here that I could remember.

hgnm018.png

JoshJayK Said:

You should focus on just your photoshop first.

Not using Photoshop Brah, This is Paint.net.

I think I'm good on the Point of Text ATM, I made the text VERY Light, hard to notice. And yes, i'm planning to get some new fonts. Any Suggestions?

This doesn't follow the recommended dimensions from ghoztman nor does it follow the rule of thirds...

LOOOOOOOOOOL McMo is getting bombarded with stuff and ideas, I would love to help u since i am in AP Digital Graphics and Animation in school but i dont really feel like it lol.

This doesn't follow the recommended dimensions from ghoztman nor does it follow the rule of thirds...

Thats weird, I know I didn't use the recommended sizes, I did this when my Internet was down and I forgot the sizes. NEXT one I make will. However, I SPECIFICALLY calculated for rule of thirds, The Fleur-De-Lis's are in the Left and right, With Johnny Gat in the Middle. I LITERALLY had a Layer with the thing in PERFECT thirds, but I placed it on the bottom when i Flattened the image to make it into a .Png

You should NEVER flatten an image when you produce your finished product. This allows you to go back and make changes later on because all of the layers are preserved.

Or at least make a save with the layers in tact and then flatten and make a different save.

But you don't ever have to flatten the image if you've already arranged the layers to how you wanted them to be.

I dunno how paint.net works, I wasn't sure if flattening was nescessary for it or something.

Thats weird, I know I didn't use the recommended sizes, I did this when my Internet was down and I forgot the sizes. NEXT one I make will. However, I SPECIFICALLY calculated for rule of thirds, The Fleur-De-Lis's are in the Left and right, With Johnny Gat in the Middle. I LITERALLY had a Layer with the thing in PERFECT thirds, but I placed it on the bottom when i Flattened the image to make it into a .Png

I think you misunderstood what the rule of thirds is.

If you look at the tutorial, you want your subject to be ON one of the lines that splits the image into thirds. You have your signature split into three parts, but nothing is on the line that splits them.