Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Getting A Desktop, But has some problems

So I am looking at a Dell Inspiron 620 MT with 8 gb RAM [Possibly 6?], 1 TB Hard Drive, A 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor , Intel® HD Graphics

Currently, The problems i am having are about the wireless on it [Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN mini-Card] Could I have this Wireless [while using it for gaming] And have it run smoothly? Or should i just wire it to the Modem?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddojq5b&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=inspiron-620 [This with a 40 2 gb mem add on.]

Specs here.

Also, Would this run stuff such as minecraft, Terraria, Steam, WinRar, And FPS [Call of Duty, Left 4 Dead, Etc...] Nicely?

Edited by fanimorph

If you really wanted to run it all the games nicely I would DEFINITELY look at an aftermarket graphics card. Also... the link you gave was to modify a computer... it wasn't the link to the specs of the one you have already modified. Give me a specs list or a link to one and I would be happy to be of further assistance.

As for gaming on wireless i truthfully don't notice a huge difference, if you are one of those people who will notice a 5ms ping difference then wire it, if not just use your wireless. Something that will be a major factor when you want to game on wireless is the actual wireless output speed. If you have a 600mbps wireless card and a 54mb router you are going to notice more of a ping difference than if you had a 600mbps router. Another factor you may want to consider is the signal quality of the router as well as how far you are from the router. All of those will play a major role in the ability to game on a wireless network.

Honestly though I used to game on 20% signal from a WRT 54G on a 1.5mbps internet connection and I wouldn't see any lag unless my ISP would make me disconnect.

my computer has an intel pIIII with 1 gb ram 128 mb video card and runs terraria and most of the fps's easily and smoothly (including steam)

so what makes you think something like that would'nt run it?

My internet connection is 175 mb/s upload and download, my router can wireless router can "handle" 300 mb/s for upload and download. But this what they claim. In reality is i get about 20 or so wirelessly. Still 20 isn't too bad, but I guess it depends on what you are doing. I honestly think if it is a desktop pc it is 100% worth wiring it, even if u need a ton of long cable.

If not for gaming, maybe for downloading the wired connection would be worth it?

Also go for cat7e, the difference will be noticable if your connection is fast enough or if you are sending files via lan. idk is cat8e is publicly available yet or not, but the extra $$ is worth it if your connection is fast enough. but for sure don't go with cat5e. With my cat7e I get full speed @ true 175 mbp/s.

Also vamsi, i don't think your p4 can run some of the newer cod that he mentioned. In fact the fastest released p4 was a 3.8ghz hyperthreading. Not to mention you don't meet required ram for mw3 and lol @ 128 mb gfx card.

But terreria.. maybe terreria.

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English

ST2220L 21.5-inch Full HD Widescreen Monitor

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 DIMMs

1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months

16X DVD+/-RW Drive

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader

No TV Tuner Requested

Integrated 8 in 1 Media Card Reader

Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet

No Dial Up Modem Option

Integrated 5.1

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor (3.0GHz with 6MB Cache)

Black Bezel

Intel® HD Graphics

Dell Wireless 1502 (802.11n) WLAN mini-Card

Bolded all the specs i found...

So, Ruler, You believe I should buy a graphics card then Install it after i get my computer?

I basically know next to nothing about computer speed except for some stuff about RAM, That is why i am asking so many questions...

Edited by fanimorph

It may be best to get a Dell if you know nothing, the warreny will save you in the end. But get an XPS for gaming.

It may be best to get a Dell if you know nothing, the warreny will save you in the end. But get an XPS for gaming.

My internet connection is 175 mb/s upload and download, my router can wireless router can "handle" 300 mb/s for upload and download. But this what they claim. In reality is i get about 20 or so wirelessly. Still 20 isn't too bad, but I guess it depends on what you are doing. I honestly think if it is a desktop pc it is 100% worth wiring it, even if u need a ton of long cable.

If not for gaming, maybe for downloading the wired connection would be worth it?

Also go for cat7e, the difference will be noticable if your connection is fast enough or if you are sending files via lan. idk is cat8e is publicly available yet or not, but the extra $$ is worth it if your connection is fast enough. but for sure don't go with cat5e. With my cat7e I get full speed @ true 175 mbp/s.

Also vamsi, i don't think your p4 can run some of the newer cod that he mentioned. In fact the fastest released p4 was a 3.8ghz hyperthreading. Not to mention you don't meet required ram for mw3 and lol @ 128 mb gfx card.

But terreria.. maybe terreria.

theres an mw3 lol didnt know

any way im gonna get a new pc soon hopefully

maybe a mac cant decide

theres an mw3 lol didnt know

any way im gonna get a new pc soon hopefully

maybe a mac cant decide

lol have fun gaming on your mac

OK!

I went back and looked at the dell website, found pretty much exactly what i had before but with this graphics card

AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3

Does this look good?

and is there a huge difference between this card and The graphics card i had before?

Also, Anyone know of a place to find a decent monitor for a good price [under 80$]????

Edited by fanimorph

You definitely want an aftermarket graphics card. Internal (integrated) graphic cards SUCK. The card you listed is GDDR3 I would recommend something with GDDR5 and that is 256 bit. GDDR5 is much faster than GDDR3. Also the 256bit rate is so the data can be transferred to and from the card a lot faster. That being said, you get a higher frame rate with a higher graphics setting at a higher resolution. If you cant afford a 256 bit card I would go as low as 128 nothing lower. I know I may have gone over your head... If you want I can show you various graphics cards that I think would be good for what you would be doing. However, they wont be from dell, dell is overpriced.

Alright, So i wont get the graphics card and probably just install one after i buy it. Could you throw me some links Ruler?

This is a decent 128bit card.

or this if you would prefer a PCI express 16 2.1

Personally, I like Sapphire, graphics cards, I've never hard one that had any issues and they have all outlasted my use for them. Anyway on to the 256 bit cards

This is the card I would personally purchase. Its well worth the money, it will handle nearly anything you throw at it

Or you can get this card, it is a step down from that one, it will still be able to handle everything you will want to do but the 6870 would do it at a higher frame rate.