Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Good Laptop?

The Inspiron 15R that MatricX posted is what I have, and I run plenty of games from WoW, Minecraft, up to SC2, D3, and Guild Wars 2 with no problem. though admittedly on low graphics.

Well problem is I'm gonna need a laptop for school AND I'm gonna get a laptop in the future....

damn.

i have a pretty ancient pc

so i think my opinion would be quite useless

my suggestion in that particular case would be to purchase a laptop that will get you through school and keep the money you saved for a higher end laptop (in the future) or a lower end desktop and an aftermarket graphics card. (You could also go with a high end desktop in the future) but truthfully 6 gigs of ram with a dual core or quad core (depends on how much multi-tasking) and a 1 gig graphics card with a 256 bit rate is good enough for most "gamers" these days

http://www.dell.com/outlet

i got a xps 1502x for $1100 with 1 year in house support and shipping

2.2ghz i7 "turbo boost is just the new label for their speed step throttling shit, at usage mine bumps up to a 2.8 sustainably"

8 gigs ram

1tb 5400rpm drive

nvidia gt 540m 1gig w/ an intel card for basic needs

touchscreen

720p screen

blue ray burner

fast as balls wireless card

usb 3.0, hdmi, tv tuner card n all that jazz

i get about 3.5 hours battery life when i use the intel gfx card and powersaving, and about 1.5 hours running at full speed

i swapped the hard drive for a 500gig ssd/7200rpm hybrid drive from my old laptop, because fuck 5400 is slow as shit

I use my laptop for heavy video editing and shit so i need that extra processing power, but either way if you want the best deal for a laptop browse through what they have here.

I'd stick with the XPS's or Latitudes though. im a dell guy and i wouldn't buy anything else they make.

If you drop a price range and needs i can give you a link to a specific laptop tomorrow. :P

Also yeah, you can't add a graphics card to laptops, that shit is soldered right into the motherboard. usually the only things on laptops you can upgrade easily are the hard drive RAM and CPU(depends on what the motherboard supports)

• Like 1