Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

Acer Aspire 5732Z Boot Issues

So whenever I boot up the laptop, it instantly blue screens. I disabled the "restart on crash" option and found out the blue screen error was "unmountable_boot_volume." According to a quick cursory google search, this happens when the OS is unable to boot properly due to a corrupt hard drive.

Here are the things I've tried:

• startup repair, the laptop restarts and then stays at the blue Windows 7 login screen with only the mouse cursor visible
  • reformatting with a Windows 7 installation disc, the installation always hangs at "Starting setup..."
  • running a memtest, no errors found
  • creating a system repair disc, repair stalls after I choose what language I want it to be in
  • running the proprietary system restore program, the program gets stuck on "loading, please wait"
  • running a chkdsk, no errors found
  • starting up in every type of Safe Mode, always ends in blue screen

I was able to boot with an Ubuntu disc and recover everything important but I can't actually boot it up with Windows without it blue screening instantly. I'm considering replacing the hard drive, but I might just buy a new laptop. If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

It sounds like your boot sector is corrupt or a possible hard drive fail. Cloning the hard drive and then rebuilding windows on a fresh install might work too. Personally if your computer is so old and worthless then I would consider getting another one. But if you think it would run great with a new hard drive and a fresh build of windows I would save the money and rebuild windows on a new hard drive.

It could also be a connector cable problem. If you have a default 40 wire cable then you should replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable. However I don't think you should try this step unless you know specifically what type of cable you use and if the problem is not the hard drive. (this is usually a problem with older PCs and not laptops)

• Like 1

If you do decide to stick with your computer, I recommend getting an Solid State Drive (SSD). They're very, very fast. I just recently switched both my desktop and my laptop over to SSDs and they start up so damned fast, it breathed new life into my computers.

I got the 180GB and 120GB SSDs from Intel: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-ssd.html

They're also really tiny compared to HDDs. That was the first thing that surprised me.