Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

"osmap"

Well, it does appear we've been doing an Area 51-style coverup of this, so I'm writing out an information post. This is NOT a protection vs unprotection pro/con list or debate, just some FAQs.

First, one statement copied from below: Staredit Network does not support or endorse unprotection in any way, shape, or form, for any reason. Under no circumstances are you to post the program or supply any links to it or any other unprotectors.

What is OSMAP? - OSMAP stands for Open Source MApping Project.

What's it do? - OSMAP is capable of unprotecting any form of protection currently known on any map. This includes Uber@tion 2 and 3 (unreleased), ProEdit, GUEdit, SCMToolkit, and even my personal hex editings.

How does it work? - I can't really say for sure, but I have my theory. It obviously ignores protection when it finds it, so it must skip to all readable sections and creates a map based off those (ie, reads it the way StarCraft does). Then it puts the sounds in a seperate folder for some reason (they didn't hear of MPQ Viewer, but I digress).

How can it be stopped? - There is no method ensuring protection from this program, nor has anyone informed me of any. (Though I have one unconfirmed rumor.) If it works the way I think it does in my theory, then it pretty much can't be stopped unless the map is also rendered unreadable in StarCraft itself.

There is a sort of community effort banding forth (with some nice rewards) at: http://www.staredit.net/index.php?showtopic=29488 I must say, though, I bear a sort of skepticism towards any sort of new protection - unprotection will probably counter and stay one step ahead, and it seems easier to unprotect than to protect.

How can we fight back? - OSMAP is pretty much out already and definitely in a lot of the wrong hands by now. I hate putting my faith in this method, but I'll quote:

The best protection that never fails, is submit your map to several sites that host maps, such as ourselves, starcraft.org and so on. This way, you can at least insure that the websites have the unrigged versions with your name on your own creation. If people ever search for your map, this will be what they download. If you want to be known for your map making skills, map making communities is the best place to go. Normal Battle.net users don't care about peoples accomplishments as much as other map makers.

Personally, that doesn't cut it for me.

Where can I get it? - Not here. Staredit Network does not support unprotection in any way, shape, or form, for any reason. Under no circumstances are you to post the program or supply any links to it or any other unprotectors. Those who want to find enough certainly will find a way, so let them do it themselves.

This said, that's all the information you get. You'll find out things as I do.

Thats posted on staredit.net. and Ofcourse we have this hack already added to the downloads! (:

http://Ghoztcraft.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2593

http://Ghoztcraft.net/forums/index.php?download=316

Only reason I would ever want to would be to play as the computer or something. But we dont even need to edit that map for that one, thanx to High6!

Awwww us normal members cant download :(

Someone posted this "hack" onto zerogamers go dl it there all you normies =)

i rarly go to zerogamers for anything but this time i just might go.

thanks for the news ghozt

I moved it to public downloads...

Hey, just to let you know. The way it works is the protectors take out unnecessary code that starcraft doesn't need, but the editor does need. I've had a program where it opens up the map no matter what, but really all you could mess with was the triggers and a little of the map. I'm sure with this file all it does is find what's missing and fill in the gaps. Sorry ghozt, but your prediction is wrong. :)

What did I predict? o.0

u mean he guessed at how they worked... not predicted

It sounds good but I would never have a use for it.

LOL, saberking, zerogamers DONT HAVE IT they only have the old sc unprotect

lol. XGhozt moved it to public download already. check it out.

Sign in to follow this