Heads Up! This website is no longer maintained, if your a member from our era, consider joining the discord to say hello.
Sign in to follow this  

How to crack a coke machine!

PREFACE

Coke vending machines are everywhere. They're getting more and more like regular computers with LEDs that show little "ICE COLD" messages and whatnot. Well, there's a lot more to those little built-in computers than you may think. Included in the low-level operating system that these babies run on is an actual debug menu that gives you access to all sorts of machine information and possibly gives you free cokes in older machines.

WHICH MACHINES WORK?

There's a very strict list of vending machines that have the debug menu. First off, they're all COCA-COLA product vending machines. This means the giant, un-missable picture on the front must show any of the following: Coke, Dasani (Water), Barq's Root Beer, Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, Sprite, Evlan (water), Fanta, Fresca, Frutopia, Hi-C, Sprite Remix, Mad River, Mello Yello, Minute Maid, Nestea, Odwalla, Mr. Pibb/Pibb Xtra, Planet Java, Power Ade, Seagram's Ginger Ale, Simply Orange, Sparkletts, or Tab. Of course anything Diet or Caffeine free works too.

The machine must have an LED screen. Some of the older ones just allow the LED to be set to a price amount and won't have the debug menu. You're safer if the little LED is telling you something. Usually it will scroll a little message like "Ice Cold Cokes". Newer machines are more likely candidates.

ACCESSING THE MENU

To enter the menu, there's a button combination. HERE'S THE ONLY THING YOU HAVE TO REALLY REMEMBER:

[4]-[2]-[3]-[1]

The buttons are numbered depending on how they are positioned. They will either be vertical (more likely), or in horizontal rows of 4 buttons per row. If it is vertical, the first button is #1, the one below it is #2, and so forth. If the buttons are in horizontal rows, the first button is #1, and the one to the right of it is #2. The numbers work like a type writer after that. In rows of 4, the first button of row 2 will be button #5. So, to review, getting in to the debug menu looks like this:

COKE MACHINE::::::

$1.00 -------

-------------

[ Coke ] <-- Hit this button last

[ Coke ] <-- Hit this button second

[ Diet Coke ] <-- Hit this button third

[ Sprite ] <-- Hit this button first

[ And so on ]

-------------

Some text should show up on the LED (probably the word "Error", we'll explain what it means next sections). If nothing happens, your machine doesn't have the debug menu.

NAVIGATION

To navigate from option to option (What they are is next section), remember the numberings we gave the buttons. They work as follows:

Button [ 1 ] - Exit/Back

Button [ 2 ] - Up

Button [ 3 ] - Down

Button [ 4 ] - Select

OPTIONS

Depending on the age of the machine, you will get a varying amount of default options available.

On older machines: SALE, VER, EROR, and RTN

On newer machines: CASH, SALE, EROR, and RTN

CASH - Machine Earnings Display

The CASH option will display how much money is in the machine currently. It generally takes a second or two to load. From here, you can scroll up and down through 12 or 16 different options, depending on the machine age. These other options display how much money was spent on each individual item, classified through its button (or slot, as I like to call it) number.

A neat side note about the slot numbers is that there are more slot numbers than there are actual slot, so usually the last 4 buttons contain zero money. This could be so that the same OS could be used on bigger machines, but the newer machines have even more slot numbers.

SALE - Total Sale Count

The SALE option displays how many drinks have been sold out of the machine. This tends to be cumulative, but not on all machines. The stock guy is probably supposed to reset this each time he re-stocks. Also, this has the same sub-options as the CASH option, where you can scroll up and down and see how many drinks have been sold from each slot.

VER - System/Machine Version?

This option will cause a large alphanumeric string to scroll across the LCD. The number looks very much like a serial number, but doesn't vary from machine to machine. It is most likely the OS or machine version number, but of the older machines that have the option, I haven't seen one that doesn't have the same number.

EROR - Error Log

There are 8 different types of errors - COLJ (Column Jams), VEnd (Vend Mechanism), door (Door Switch), sels (Select Switch), CHAR (Changer Errors), acce (Acceptor Errors), StS (Space-to-sales errors), and bVal (Bill Validators). The separate types and actual errors are useless, as you assumably can't get inside the machine, BUT(!) you can clear the errors. Hold the enter (Number 4) button down for about 2 seconds, and it should clear the error.

RTN - Return

This is simply the return option. Selecting this will exit the debug menu. On newer machines, pressing the BACK button at the main menu will not exit, and RTN must be selected.

A side note: The menu can also be exited by pressing the coin return button.

EXTRAS

By holding in the coin return button and not releasing, on the newer "big-button" machines, this will display the internal temperature in Fahrenheit, as in "42F".

Credits to MiNi

Elevators > coke machines.

I bet you don't even have the pepsi tutorial, or the coffee tutorial.

elevators? wtf?

Nice job totally ripping that off of i-hacked.com.

Btw, this is like, super old.

Edited by SC_Modder

yeah yeah so what if it is stuck from ihacked some people who didnt know that will learn from it

yeah..... lameee

lol old but useful, i have a friend who did this and

1. Dumped change

2. Got a free sodas

and (this one is my favorite)

3. Lowered the temperature of the coke machine to 10 degrees. About a half an hour later you could start hearing explosions coming from inside the machine :D

Holy **** you bunch of dumbasses. Why the hell do you feel the need to COMPLETELY reiterate exactly what I said.

"old"

"stole from i-hacked"

SHUT THE **** UP IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD TO THE TOPIC.

I seriously wish I could get one hour of time, of which I would use to magically put my foot through my router and kick each of you dumb****s in the ****ing face. I seriously hope all of you choke on a penis which will then get lodged in your wind pipe and cut off all oxygen to your brain.

Holy **** you bunch of dumbasses. Why the hell do you feel the need to COMPLETELY reiterate exactly what I said.

"old"

"stole from i-hacked"

SHUT THE **** UP IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO ADD TO THE TOPIC.

I seriously wish I could get one hour of time, of which I would use to magically put my foot through my router and kick each of you dumb****s in the ****ing face. I seriously hope all of you choke on a penis which will then get lodged in your wind pipe and cut off all oxygen to your brain.

Have u seeked help yet? I suggest u do soon..

One thing...How do you actualy GET the sodas from this machine, I read it 2x, and still don't see "Press the button of the soda you wish to have free" or something like that. I can see that you can access a debug menue...and scroll through meaningless options look like a fat kid drooling over cake...But nothing on actual free sodas, free money, messing with the tempurature.

If there is a way to get the free sodas, or do one of those 3 things i just said, would you be so kind to quote that section for me.

I tried this and it only worked once out of 40 times. Still worth a shot everytime youre thirsty.

Lmao!!! lol i gotta try this.

Elevators > coke machines.

I bet you don't even have the pepsi tutorial, or the coffee tutorial.

stfu...you are trying to sound like a 1337 badass...all you have to do is go to i-hacked.com for those tuts...or just search google...

Dont bring back old threads....

Topic closed~